Adding Yogurt To Good

Guest Greylover3803

Guest Greylover3803

I was reading another post and noticed that some add yogurt to their dogs food to help with digestion. I hadn't ever thought of this, but hey I do it for myself why not my furry family members. My question is how much do you add to your dogs food? I have a 72 lb foster that could benefit from this. He eats a total of about 4 cups of food a day.

Obviously can't spell today. Title should have been adding yogurt to FOOD! :)

Guest ShanYu

My boy Nike gets a tablespoon with every meal. He loves it and will come running if he hears the lid coming off a yoghurt pot. He is 72 lbs too.

A couple tablespoons of full fat yogurt. No aspartame or other artificial sweeteners. Greek yogurt is ok, as is flavored yogurt. It can take a couple weeks to see results.

You can also get powdered pre/probiotics to add that will act faster. Be aware that some dogs are lactose intolerant and yogurt might have the opposite effect you want.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry loves Kefir & handles it better than yogurt. It has more strains of probiotics (12 in the Lifeway brand I believe). I find it with the bottled smoothies. I get the unflavored variety. It make great frozen filling for his Kong mixed w/ banana & peanut butter (my daughter loves that one too)

Do make sure that your boy isn't lactose intolerant though. I can tell you from first hand experience that, although you may not believe it, yoghurt in a lactose intolerant dog will make your problems exponentially worse.

This. Yogurt was not Segugio's friend. You could try adding a tablespoon or two of cooked sweet potato to his meal and see if that helps.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Jesse12789

my large boy boy hes eighther high 70s for maybe 80 pounds. i feed him 2 tablespoons at breakfast and 2 tablespoons for dinner. he does not fart at all....... now when he doesnt get his yogurt he will fart about 2 days after not having it.

Yogurt gives my dog diarrhea. There is no reason to feed it unless your dog has some sort of issue that might be aided by probiotics. Just as the FDA is making the yogurt companies stop their advertising claiming "digestive health" as a result of eating yogurt, unless your dog's gut bacteria is fouled up, say by antibiotics, it shouldn't be necessary.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck