Leg Wraps?

I am wondering if anyone has or knows of a product that is reusable and will protect Jake's legs (mainly his hocks) during runs. He loves to run at the dog park but he always tears up his hocks. We have been using vet wrap and that works okay, but I go through about a roll every time and that gets expensive! Any help is appreciated!

Here's a photo, just for fun :)

IMG_0168_zps28fc28fa.jpg

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

they heal really quickly, just let him run. felix's hocks look like they have been thru a war- all the stopping and starting when he plays soccer. it's the dew claws that people wrap during coursing. felix has had only one really bad laceration down to the tendon on his hock during his 7 years of craziness, then it was bandaged for 2 weeks and he perfected removing vet wrap. the rest are knicks and dents. just wash with water and leave it to heal, saliva does a great job.

DogLeggs do hock supports but I doubt they are comfortable for running in and could potentially cause problems of their own with rubbing. I would use VetWrap and swallow the expense. If it's no more than slight scrapes, I agree with Cleptogrey, let him run without - I think it's worth at least giving them the chance to learn to take better care of themselves!

If it's to do with the surfaces at the dog park, maybe try to find a different one?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LazyBlaze

Hi Needlenose Jake. We bought a pair of neoprene semi-pro stopper pad protectors from this place (they also do neoprene/leather hock protectors, if you scroll further down on the page):

http://www.forestfleece.co.uk/shop/page/18?sessid=RIPwLsj1MaTSvsOUBd0Ixx3fwC1dmFkZObsEZ38ct0a2Jl0AGovOonvyt4C1mFhP&shop_param=

They are in the UK but looks like they would ship worldwide. We got the front pad protectors for Blaze as when we got him his pads were in a bit of a mess and would tear and bleed every time he had a run. Over time they have healed fully, but we found the protectors to work well when we needed them. The neoprene is flexible and soft, and the velcro adjusters allow for a good fit.

Hope you find something that works for Jake anyway.

Guest snowpuppy

There are a couple of mushers who use leggings for their dogs when they run, this year was the first year I noticed any of the teams at the Iditarod using, and the dogs in the Quest using them made the news (must have been a slow news day). A picture of some of them there: http://www.adn.com/2012/02/09/2309268/yukon-quest-dogs-sport-colorful.html

Spandex should be okay, but I'm sure if you wanted the cordura or you could find it in that as well. shouldn't run you more than $20 for a set

As Paul got older and had more difficultly with our deck steps, I made him, what we called shin guards. I took a foam wrap and used velcro as a closure. We wrapped his hind legs where he was banging them on the bottom step, Now he just can't do the stairs anymore, at all. :>(

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest RICHandJUDE

I have two Greyhounds and a Beagle. The Beagle was tortured before we adopted her. Her front legs have nerve damage so she runs on her 'knees'. We wrap her front legs with vet tape which was getting quite expensive. (3 or 4 dollars a roll at the drug store or pet store.) I found that Tractor Supply Company carries vet tape for horses. The vet tape is much wider but only a couple bucks per roll. I cut the tape in half and get two rolls out of it. I found it by mistake.

Thanks for all the replies. I think for now we will continue using vet wrap, but definitely check out the horse supply places. We may end up just letting him run and recover (thanks cleptogrey for easing my guilt about this) too.

RICHandJUDE so sorry to hear about your beagle. That sounds painful, but she's lucky to have you now!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com