Valley Fever

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Valley Fever is a fungal infection that can settle anywhere in the body, and is common in AZ. Miss Echo has battled it for 5years. She has been on 600 mg of fluconizole for the entire 5 years and we are going nonowhere. Last round of bloodwork and the concentration of it in her body actually went up. I am so frustrated right now, this is the main treatment of the disease. Now the vet is worried about her liver. If we don't treat the disease, it will kill her. But chronic medications is not good for her either. She is symptom free right now and the vet is considering lowering her dosage to give her liver a break and see how the disease reacts.

She is a happy, energetic 6 year old girl. She eats and plays with gusto. You would never know she's sick.

Anyone else battle this disease?

No experience. Just good thoughts for your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My heart goes out to you and Miss Echo. I would speak to someone on the link Rickiesmom provided. They may know a vet familiar with this or

help a vet out with info.

I lived in Tucson in the 80s and my husband contracted Valley Fever. He was out of work for a month, lost a lot of weight but pulled through

fine with antibiotics. I did not know how insidious this could be. Hope you and Miss Echo get good news soon.

I'm not sure how much this will help but, Lucy is a seizure dog and she is on 3 different medicines for her seizures which is not as uncommon as many would think. Some of these can affect the liver dramatically - Lucy's has been OK so far. Many epi dogs are on seizure medicines their entire life. It's somewhat common that people with epi dogs start to give Denamarin or milk thistle - these are for liver support. Dr. Dodds also has a liver cleansing diet http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/liver_diet.htm . Dr Dodds is on the fringes of the medical profession but, her diet does seem to work well. Note, I'm neither pro/con Dr. Dodds, simply offering up the information.

You might also want to do a google search for liver support.

Edited by MaryJane

I just wrote this in the other thread - but I'll repeat it here too :)

Desert Defense is a powder additive to food that will help the immune system and might bring the titer down.

And I was able to keep Lazer's titer very low (1:2) for 2 years using an Anti Fungal herbal supplement.

his titer was never very high, so it was easy to keep it at the low numbers.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14