Permanent Diarrhea And Giardia

Hi all,

I write this post for my sister, who lives in Germany and she's desperate. She got an 11 months old GSD

from a bad breeder, and since she has had the GSD (long haired) he has diarrea one day more, one day less.

He poops into the house despite 4 walks per day, and she's at the end with her nervs. His stools are yellowish and the dog is loosing weight, is terribly hungry and very nervous. The vet has done a complete stool analysis and found out that

the dog is heavily infected with Giardia. Now the dog has taken for 14 days Metronidazol and instead of

getting better it gets even worse, now his diarrea is permanent and yellow. Tomorrow she has to give a new stool sample. I told her to get another opinión from another vet, and she'll do that in the next days.

My sister was initially afraid of the dog suffering from a pancreatic insufficiency, but the analysis didn't

show up signs of pancreatic insufficiency, which is common in German Shepherd Dogs.

Did anybody have a serious guardia problema, that didn't stop with Metronidazol?

Greetings to all,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Yes, they do, and I think that will be the second option, if Metronidazol doesn't work.

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

I would probably treat him for the giardia again with Panacur as was mentioned even if the stool shows clear of giardia. I would also look at his liver function. Yellow stools in addition to be caused by giardia are also a sign of liver problems.

Guest Greekgrey

My cat had this and we had to switch him to a prescription food, probiotics twice daily and antibiotics for two weeks.

It took several weeks but eventually his stool returned to normal. That was eight months ago. He still is more sensitive to food than my other animals but now a healthy, happy animal. Tell her to hang in there as it does get better.

How are they testing for the giardia??? It's not unusual for a dog to have multiple positive elisa results even after treatments (esp puppies). Have they seen giardia cysts on a fecal float?? I do know that there's a Dr at Cornell U that has researched this and claims that you treat twice and then just monitor otherwise you will go broke rechecking over and over only to keep getting positive results.

The description of the stool does make me suspicious of EPI --as you mentioned it is seen more frequently in gsd's. Have they run a TLI test yet??

EPI is what I thought of first as well but if they've checked and that isn't it then could it be Idiopathic SIBO? GSD's are one, if not the, most common breeds to have this & I believe it shows up more often in younger GSD's. As tbhounds asks, make sure they ran the TLI test. (Though the best vets I've ever had were trained in Germany so I'm inclined to think they have, cause I'm biased.)

Thanks for all your replies...I'll give all your info to my sister...I don't know if they did the TLI test, but my sister told me that vet excluded

pancreatic insufficiency by the results. She'll visit more vets an run more panels...the SIBO theory could be as well...we'll see...

Greetings,

Marion

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Guest snowpuppy

In the meantime she may want to consult the vet about doing a bland diet until the stools firm up, that can't be comfortable for the poor pup. TBSP of pumpkin puree (not the kind for pies, just plain pumpkin), Rice and boiled shredded chicken (some people do beef but we've found chicken is gentler on the digestion). One of our guys doesn't tolerate grains at all so we have to feed grain free.

Whatever it is hope it gets sorted soon

I have an EPI dog and your description fits my dog's symptoms to a "T". My vet didn't even run all the tests, because it was so obvious it was EPI. Could the vet put the dog on the pancreatic meds and see if it helps? I don't know if the meds would hurt a dog who doesn't have EPI. My girl has evened out her weight, she is still always ravenous and she periodically needs to have a dosing of metronidizole. Also very important to not give any treats, just the meals w/ the meds. I'd really push the vet about EPI, if I were your sister.

Good luck.

Thanks again, I'll send her an article about EPI. It was anyqay the first thing we all thought, but the vet told her, that there were no

obvoius signs in the stool simple, which was very complete.

I'm sure, the dog must have EPI...

Greetings,

Marion

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

They need to do a fasting serum TLI test. The stool tests are often inaccurate.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.