Coming When Called

Guest alicefish

Guest alicefish

Hi! I'm Adelaide, and I'm new here.

I have a greyhound named Dante. He is four and he is my first greyhound. I adopted him on May 13, so we're still getting used to each other.

One particular problem I seem to have is to get him to come when he's called.

He does it sometimes... so I know he understands that he should come, but sometimes... he just doesn't.

I've looked online for training methods for other dogs, but does anyone have specific greyhound-oriented training for this, or suggestions?

Thanks! (This is him, by the way!)

10299815_289130954587816_1691422204_n.jp

Guest chickenpotpie

Welcome and he's gorgeous! You really haven't had him that long so don't stress about it much, but its certainly something to keep working on.

http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.net/come.html

Greyhound recall varies from dog to dog. Mine does fantastic with it she's very good off leash with a low prey drive but we work at it constantly, some greys don't do so well no matter how much work they do...they can be very independent that way. When I do recall training I do lots of different types of rewards, as long as they're med/high value.

Guest jbbuzby

I agree with chickenpotpie's comments. I have two hounds, and one is completely reliable, even in large off leash places (he's a bit overly attached to me, however). My female will come when she happens to be looking at me. Otherwise, if her brain is heavily focused on one thing (playing with another dog, sniffing a particularly interesting smell) she can't seem to break away from it, even for things she loves (like if another dog approaches her wanting to play while she's sniffing a great smell). She is *pretty* reliable in smaller yards though, from us working on it. I just doubt she'd ever reach the level of my male.

Practice with food for sure, as the article describes above. Repetition is key! Just don't stress too much ;).

Use lots of food, use weird voices, run away from the dog if he's looking at you and not coming, fall down if he's looking at you and not coming. And don't forget to give treats and throw a party when he comes even if he didn't listen at first. Coming to you should ALWAYS be positive!

The trainer I use distinguishes between two different recalls: an everyday one and an emergency one. You ALWAYS lavishly reward the emergency recall, which should be some word that you don't use in everyday life. Foreign words work great for this, but it can be anything that you want. The emergency recall is the one you use when your dog is in danger and you need him back NOW. The easiest way to start training this is to have your dog in a stay before mealtimes, release from the stay and say your emergency recall word as you put the food down. The dog comes to you and gets a jackpot reward that way. Then you go through all the steps described above, with the highest value rewards that you can find.

The everyday recall is the kind of thing described previously, because you know that there will be some day that the dog just happens to find whatever its doing much more interesting than coming to you, and that way your emergency recall isn't degraded when that happens.

And having done all that, it still depends a lot on the dog. Katie will recall reasonably well, but I wouldn't ever trust her off-leash because of her fear issues. Pixie, who is less timid but still somewhat fearful, has an awesome recall, and I am currently working her off-leash in certain highly-controlled areas. She thinks recall games are incredibly fun, which is one reason I am willing to try her off-leash.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest kahjul

Tally is a Velcro dog so she's never far from me. I swear I can just think her name and there she is. The other 2-not so much. Derby is 5 now and we've had her since she was 16 weeks. NO RECALL-at all. She has been to obedience school and was a star, she is also a therapy dog, so it's not like she's untrainable. She just flips me off, laughs and does what she wants! If she wants to come (and she usually does) its fine, but if there is a better offer out there, I'm out of luck. Over the years, I've learned to get her attention and be close to her doing something she might find interesting before I call her. With this method, she is fooled into being pretty reliable. If I NEED her now, I run and she always catches me. She will never be "reliable" imo. Carl is only a year old and usually comes when called the first time. I think twice I've had to use the chase me thing. I did find the long thin line thing that a lot of trainers use didn't work very well for Derby and its kinda scary for me, given how quickly they could be at the end of it. I used a spray bottle with a really strong spray. When Derby would run away playing and ignoring me, I would spray her with water, when she would finally come to me, she got hot dogs.

If you want a reliable come with (most) greyhounds you will have to do a LOT of repetition and training. Start in a low distraction area, like a hallway or somewhere in your house. Then you can move outside to your yard, then to more distracting places. Keep it very positive, lots of lavish praise, treats, etc. Don't call him if you aren't sure that he will come, or use a long leash so that you can reel him in to make sure he follows through. :)

I practice recall often in training sessions, but I could still never trust my hound off leash. I use it for around the house and for places like the dogpark, fenced enclosures, etc. So just be aware that you likely will never have a 100% reliable recall with many greyhounds.