Meet Benny - Our New Senior

So there are a couple of threads where I talk about Benny's arrival. Very unexpected. We heard about an 11 year old grey who had been surrendered to a pound. Good with kids, not cat safe. So after some debates and discussions online, we established that it would be better if we pulled him out and got him back to a couch till we worked out what to do with him. So we (myself, and a few others known on a dog forum), got together. Others provided a few $$$. I'm providing the couch. DH and I drove down to get him today.

It was a bit tense as we didn't know whether he'd still be there - a 'rescue' group was also after him. We took Hermon with us just to make sure. As we walked up the drive, we could see the staff's faces fall. They thought we were there to surrender Hermon. After we explained, they walked off and got Benny. He came out of a shed full of barking dogs. From 15 metres I could see the whites of his eyes and that his hind legs were shaking and collapsing so badly he couldn't walk properly. He was terrified. But he let me handle him, sniffed Hermon, and began looking happier.

Teeth pretty bad, nails very bad (over 2 cm long), abrasions on his legs. But a lovely dog inside. So we took him home, via the vet (where he must have thought a not great weekend got worse as the temperature was taken!) and the pet shop for a bath. Home, out for a walk with the gang and now he's home, on a bed, sacked out and waiting for dinner.

His original owner, an elderly woman, died. He was then taken by her daughter who had cats. So its a pretty sad story really, although why one of the greyhound groups wasn't contacted rather than him being dumped at a pound I don't know. He was surrendered on Friday and had till Tuesday before being PTS. As an older dog, his chances were very very slim.

And I have to thank you all for this. Had I not the support of this group for advice and encouragement I would not have taken a punt on an older dog. So, ladies and gentlemen, here's Benny. My senior foster who may well end up staying.

imagejpg6_zpsec9549a4.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa20caf11.jpg

imagejpg2_zps31fdd2d6.jpg

As you can see, he knows exactly what the bed is for. Now I need to get him a harness (probably a WWW one) and a couple of collars.....And beds. And coats.

Oh... that first picture made my eyes leak ... what a gorgeous, sweet old face! I can imagine how terrified the poor old gentleman must have been. Hard to see from the way he is lying, but his general condition looks good, from what I can see.

Do you know who he was (racing name)? He's very handsome and alert, isn't he?

Welcome home, Benny!! You're going to love your new home!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

He is the sweetest old man, and a young 11!! He looks pretty good considering the upset he's been through, and it sounds as though he is taking comfort from your dogs. Benny is going to thrive in your care. Bless you for helping him. (He is going to feel soo much better once those nails are trimmed, poor fellow). You are awesome.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Well he wouldn't eat dinner. Just some kibble soaked in water. I'm going to try to teach him about raw, but I'm thinking he's still so stressed, food isn't that important. He's eaten some.

I'm also trying to decide whether to take him to work with me. I'm tempted because he's been here less than 24 hours and I've no idea about sa or anything else. A decision for the morn.

Awwww, what a sweet looking boy :beatheart He looks good for his age......he will eat eventually as long as he is drinking it's all good. I took a return who was 10 and he didn't eat for the whole weekend, but he eventually came around.......although I was frantic and tried everything to get him to eat :riphair ( I have since learned :lol )

Welcome to the joys of taking in a senior...........there's nothing quite like it. And keep those pictures coming!

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Guest june

OMG, he is drop dead gorgeous. It is a good thing I'm not fostering him or I'd be a foster failure for sure.

God bless you for helping this sweet old man.

What a sweet face he has. It's sad about his owner dying and him ending up at the pound, but I wonder if the daughter even knew to call a greyhound group to return him to.

I know this may sound crazy, but do his ears look like they've been cropped to anyone else besides me? I don't think I've ever seen such short ears on a greyhound.

Well he wouldn't eat dinner. Just some kibble soaked in water. I'm going to try to teach him about raw, but I'm thinking he's still so stressed, food isn't that important. He's eaten some.

I'm also trying to decide whether to take him to work with me. I'm tempted because he's been here less than 24 hours and I've no idea about sa or anything else. A decision for the morn.

I'd give him whatever he'll eat for now. He's probably not used to raw and some take a while to accept it (as you probably know). Leaving that for a little while will remove one stressor for him.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest PiagetsMom

An absolutely beautiful boy :inlove , and it's wonderful that you've taken him into your home and he's comfortable once again. I send many good thoughts your way for Benny!

Oh my gosh! That face! :beatheart Thank you for taking this sweet boy in.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest sireltonsmom

Lots of trauma and drama with the best outcome! Thanks for staying the course and giving this sweet boy a comfy, loving home! Kudos to you and DH!

This whole story has brought me to tears.......of happiness....... for Benny, and for you.

I predict he will adjust quickly, bring a boatload of good karma & more love to your home.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Oh. My. :beatheart Drop dead gorgeous :beatheart If he wasn't half a world away I would fight you for him! In addition to all the changes he has been through, he may be reluctant to eat raw if his teeth are hurting him. He will probably come around in a few days. My Princess Molly wouldn't eat raw at first, because the Princess never liked anything new, and had to have time to adjust, but she did.