Pleased To Introduce You To Basil, From Philly

Guest justbasil

Guest justbasil

Hello everyone!

I posted a couple of weeks back about adopting a greyhound who has been in a kennel or in a foster (thank you for all of your responses!). Well, I must fast forward, because I would like to introduce you all to Basil :) My boyfriend and I fell in love with him a few weeks back when we visited NGAP, and we decided to go with our gut instinct. He is such a sweetie and a champ and has been doing very well so far (for the two days we have had him!!). No roaching yet, but he has found his bed and even goes into the crate by himself. Our only concerns right now are that he whines a bit and seems a little unsure of himself at times - right now we think it's because everything is so very new to him (after all it hasn't even been half a week!).

Now for the picture (my first time posting a picture, so I hope it works)!

photo-11_zps53826828.jpg

More to come! Thanks for reading :)

Edited by justbasil

Such a handsome face. Please don't leave your martingale collar on in the house. It is very easy for the dog to get caught on something with the D ring.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest justbasil

Yes! Thanks for the reminder. This was the first day, before I remembered to take the martingale off in the house :)

How handsome! Is it the lighting in the picture, or is he fawn on the bottom and "dun" on his face?

My second grey was a bounce (returned dog) whose first family had named him Basil, which they pronounced baz-zul. We just called him Baz, or Bazzy. However you pronounce your Basil's name, he looks like a love.

PS: Keeping to a strict schedule and taking lots of walks are two things that can help those "I'm new and stressed" nerves. Good for the greyhound, too. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest sireltonsmom

He looks comfortable already. Congratulations and thanks for posting his pic. He is gorgeous. Our Sir Elton had the white face and widow's peak on his head. Perfect target for kisses :-). Many happy years!

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

:confetti Welcome home, Basil!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest justbasil

How handsome! Is it the lighting in the picture, or is he fawn on the bottom and "dun" on his face?

Thanks! I had to look up "dun", and that seems to describe him well. He is a red boy with a white/light brown face. Thank you for the new vocab! Also you can't tell from the picture, but the top of his tail is black, with a white tip, like he dipped it in cream.

My second grey was a bounce (returned dog) whose first family had named him Basil, which they pronounced baz-zul. We just called him Baz, or Bazzy. However you pronounce your Basil's name, he looks like a love.

PS: Keeping to a strict schedule and taking lots of walks are two things that can help those "I'm new and stressed" nerves. Good for the greyhound, too. :)

We also pronounce it Baz-zul, like the British Sherlock Holmes actor, Basil Rathbone (of 221 Barker street, sorry couldn't resist!!).

Also, thank you so much for the tips and for reminding the humans to be calm :) (This is why I love GT!)

Guest UnFROGettable

Congratulations to you & Basil and Welcome!! He is a handsome boy!!

My Stryker was a double bounce due to no fault of his own. When I brought him home, he paced, whined and had a constant drippy nose. We kept to a strict potty routine and walk schedule & I hand fed him for a few weeks to help with bonding. Glad to say the pacing and nose drips have stopped....but the whines....well, I call it his 'nose whistle'. He still whines. A. LOT. I think he does it as he likes the sound of it :)