Picking Up A Greyhound

Magic is having trouble getting in my car. I put his front feet on the seat and lift his back end but that apparently hurts him as he cries. My question is how do I properly pick him up?

Thank you.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I tried copy and pasting a product but couldn't. Do a search for lift harnesses for dogs. Hope Magic is ok!

I got a lift harness in Gettysburg that works well. I guess I'm a bit upset because of the little yelp of pain when I put Magic's front feet on the car seat.

One arm around/under the chest, one arm in the tuck or under the butt. Lift from your knees. If you can....I am a small woman and do not find it easy to lift even my girl.

I think that's what I tried but got the back end but not the front. I'll give it a try again.

Thanks to both of you.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Carol would Magic use a ramp with you holding onto the harness to guide him? :beatheart Magic

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I lift with one arm around the front of the chest, and the other arm either under the tuck or around behind the back legs, depending on how far and how high I need to left.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just get my husband to do it. :ph34r:lol :lol

I use the one arm around the chest and the other arm around the butt and lift method. :bunny

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I use the one arm round the chest and one round the butt method too, I can't bring myself to do the arm under the tuck as I worry it squishes their poor tummies....but I know other people who do it so it's probably just me being silly. I think it also depends how big your dog is and how long your arms are. Remember to bend your knees and keep your back straight.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I finally got a ramp. It took them a little while to learn to use it, but finally it happened. The problem is having to carry the ramp with you. It pretty much takes up the whole front seat. Both of my dogs have disk problems.

How high is your car? If it's relatively low, I'd stick my legs between the back two legs and lift with my knee in the crotch. That's actually how I teach stairs. Otherwise I prefer behind the butt, but under the tuck can work as well.

Guest DogNewbie

My partner lifts Wiley up with one arm around his chest and the other around his butt. I cant lift him this way though as Wiley is almost 80 pounds. Could you get a ramp?

My partner lifts Wiley up with one arm around his chest and the other around his butt. I cant lift him this way though as Wiley is almost 80 pounds. Could you get a ramp?

I lift with one arm in front of the chest, one arm around the rear end. Lift with your legs.

If I can boost a dog in, I get their front feet up, then stand directly behind them and place my hands just above the backs of the knees and lift up their rear end.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I put his front feet on the seat and lift his back end but that apparently hurts him as he cries.

This is how I've always lifted my boys into the van if they won't jump, and it doesn't hurt them. Where are you lifting from, and at what point does he cry?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

This is how I've always lifted my boys into the van if they won't jump, and it doesn't hurt them. Where are you lifting from, and at what point does he cry?

It's as I put his feet up on the seat. He does have some arthritis in his left ankle. I have a feeling I'm squeezing that ankle as I put his feet up. Once they're up, getting him in is easy. I either use his assist harness or just lift put my arms around his back end and lift.

It's as I put his feet up on the seat. He does have some arthritis in his left ankle. I have a feeling I'm squeezing that ankle as I put his feet up.

Have you tried holding different parts of his front legs when you lift, like higher up on his legs so you don't squeeze his ankle/wrist? Also consider trying to teach him to put his front feet up himself by using treats. Is this a 4-door car and you're putting him in the back seat? Or a higher vehicle like an SUV?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If you can, try picking his front end up with an arm under his chest (or between his front legs) and the other arm to lift the upper part of his legs if needed. Then let down gently so he can place his ankles as is comfortable for him. Then when you lift his rear half, try keeping an arm under his chest as far forward as you can to take some of the pressure off those front legs as you lift.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

Morty does not Jump in my Equinox ( to high ) . He puts his front Feet up and I grab him under the Belly ( not to far back or you hurt his Peepee ) und push his Hind End in .

DH does the one arm around the chest, one arm under the butt lift.

I am not big enough or strong enough, so Riley and I have worked out a deal. He stands up and puts his front end into the car, and I come along behind him and push his butt end up. Tiny did the same thing.

Sometimes he will jump in on his own, but when his hips are bugging him he just needs the extra boost.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg