Won't Eat Breakfast! But Stomach Is Growling!

Guest Bree

Guest GoingGrey

We had a discussion about "screaming tummy" at a greyhound health seminar. Sounds like the same problem; that super noisy, almost alien screamy-sounding tummy in the morning but they won't eat.

Apparently, it's cuz they've come to expect a meal at a certain time or think they're about to eat, and in anticipation the stomach secretes a bunch of gastric juices in preparation for digestion. (Pavlov's dog, anyone?) However, these juices can unfortunately make an empty stomach upset. I've done some "force" feeding to cure this--tucking some cheese or yogurt into the back of the mouth. But if it's bad enough they vomit that up, I tuck a little pink Pepcid in there, which eventually does the trick.

I recently read, however, that by switching up the time they're fed in the morning, it throws off the anticipation so the stomach isn't "trained" to get those juices a-flowin' right on the dot every am. So far, no more tummy aliens screaming to get out... :cheese:pepper:clap:P