Shedding In Winter

Guest Travelover

Guest Travelover

We had a strange situation this winter and I'm curious if anyone has seen something similar. Last winter as the outside temperature started to get down near 0° F, our girl started shedding like crazy. Soon her butt and belly were bare. Then amazingly, she started growing fur like we have never seen on her. It grew in soft, fluffy and thick. The intial shedding was back in December and she seems perfectly healthy. She has retained the heavy coat, as we've had a late spring. Anyone see this before?

Lila’s winter coat started coming in in December/January. She got furrier than ever this year. Normally she’s got a patchwork rump but got full fur coverage this year. She has not started her spring shed at all yet.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Dogs usually shed big twice a year. As the weather gets cold--when you really wouldn't expect it--dogs blow out their thinner summer coat and grow in a thicker winter coat. I've never had one go from thin-summer to thick-winter without the intervening major shed.

Both of mine have just started their Spring shed. The girl has 6 therapy dog sessions scheduled in the next month, and she's going to be molting her way through every single one of them. :(

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I normally see spring and fall "shed". This year - we had a winter "shed" with our Diana. I just assume it was because this winter was so much colder and longer than past winters - and the many months of the heat cranked up in the house. After the shed she grew back "fuzzier".

Now - it's spring shed time. LOL!

Edited by sobesmom