Osteo?

Guest KaraBearNC

Just want to share this because I still feel guilty about this...our dog Joe had a limp. We took him to our vet on a Friday, who said "Eh, just keep an eye on it and if he's not better Monday, call me." He also gave us some pain meds. Sunday night when Joe came in from his bedtime turnout, he would not walk on his leg at all. When we took him in Monday morning first thing, the xrays showed that not only did he have osteo, but he must have broken his leg at that bedtime turnout. He did not cry out at all, our brave boy! And aside from the limping, he was acting normal and happy and healthy.

Instinct told me when he started limping that it was not good, and I still feel guilty about not pushing the vet to take an xray right away.

Not trying to scare anyone, more that I am trying to make it up to Joey by sharing his story with others in hopes that his pain can be avoided by other greys.

KaraBear, I hope your guy's limping is not serious!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I will say that unfortunately it is possible for a dog to break a leg and be treated for the broken leg without the vet realizing it's cancer. Adrianne's boy Wilbur had that happen, and I think Pam and Glen's boy (Archie?) had the same thing. My Oreo broke her leg standing in the living room, doing nothing, and her x-rays were gorgeous. This was 8 years ago--before I knew what I know now (and when few vets had high-def imaging equipment)--and I authorized the orthopedic surgeon to repair the injury with a pin. Oreo threw a blood clot after surgery and died, so we never confirmed cancer--but I'll believe it was osteo before I'll believe that a healthy 8-year-old broke her leg standing still.

But if your boy's original injury had been cancer, you'd know it by now--which unfortunately doesn't mean it can't be osteo this time. But one thing to consider: Several Greytalkers have noticed that if a dog has had a previous injury, that's the limb where osteo seemed most likely to rear its ugly head, so it may be a promising sign that he's not limping on the previously injured leg.

But these guys tweak neck muscles or twist their spines a bit out of alignment or just acquire old-age aches and pains, and scare the bejeebers out of us on a semi-regular basis. Here's hoping your boy's pain resolves into something controllable.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest greytkidsmom

It looks like you are near NC State - you may want to consider having your pup evaluated there. We have been there for two different dogs and they are top notch.