I like coconut oil, but have never tried Missing Link.

if your dog likes coconut oil (Riley will lick it off my fingers ... and he hates anything that remotely resembles something good for him), I think that's an easy solution with lots of options for availability.

Fuzz just turned 10 and has battled that dandruff, dry, flaky, itchy skin since she adopted us 8 years ago. We have tried everything and anything, OTC oils, vitamins, Missing Link, you name it, we tried it. Also have tried every topical skin treatment known to man or dog with no improvement. Switched her to raw food in January and this year she is 90% flake free, 95% itch free and her coat is gloss black. So happy my sweet girl isn't itchy anymore.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Fuzz just turned 10 and has battled that dandruff, dry, flaky, itchy skin since she adopted us 8 years ago. We have tried everything and anything, OTC oils, vitamins, Missing Link, you name it, we tried it. Also have tried every topical skin treatment known to man or dog with no improvement. Switched her to raw food in January and this year she is 90% flake free, 95% itch free and her coat is gloss black. So happy my sweet girl isn't itchy anymore.

Good to know and I will pass this info about the raw diet on to whoever finally adopts her. For now, though, I am going to go with adding some oil to her food. She is not excessively itchy and the dandruff may be a transitional stress reaction. Thanks for this!

The only thing that has ever worked for me is Dermoscent, from the vet. Spendy but wow does it ever do the trick.

Stops the flakey skin and strengthens it and produces beautiful fur and growth in places you didn't think it would grow.

I've also had good luck with coat growth using Springtime's Fresh Factor, but not necessarily stopping flakey skin.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Fish oil caps are good. I gave my black grey some sardines, tuna in oil, or the occasional Jack-Mack. That seemed to help a lot. Also raw eggs over the food. I'd rotate all of that - one or the other once per day. Brushing regularly really seemed to help too.

I also found that stress increased dandruff - so that could be a factor in your new foster. And - blacks just Show dandruff more.

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky gets grizzly fish oil as well as teaspoon of coconut oil daily. She tends to get a bit flaky only when she's shedding, so a couple of times a week I take a little coconut oil and rub on her bare parts which seem to help with the flaking. At the moment, she's shedding her winter coat, so yeah the dandruff looks pretty gross, but, once she's done shedding she dosen't have it anymore...until the next big shed that is!

You can also try a groomers glove to see if that will help as well.

My black grey had major dandruff problems. We tried cocnut oil for several months (both internally and externally) which she loved. It helped a bit, but switching to fish oil made a huge difference. 3-4 squirts twice a day keeps her coat soft, super glossy and the dandruff away. We saw a difference within only a few days. Since we started the fish oil last fall, her bare butt has totally filled in as well. Don't know if it was due to the fish oil or not but she is looking mighty fine!

Edited by Piper

My black grey had major dandruff problems. We tried cocnut oil for several months (both internally and externally) which she loved. It helped a bit, but switching to fish oil made a huge difference. 3-4 squirts twice a day keeps her coat soft, super glossy and the dandruff away. We saw a difference within only a few days. Since we started the fish oil last fall, her bare butt has totally filled in as well. Don't know if it was due to the fish oil or not but she is looking mighty fine!

What brand do you use and where can I get it? Thanks for the help!

we too have had great success w/ fish oil- cold pressed salmon. i just changed from lakes cronche to grizzly since the price has soared. 4 squirts per dog- one is 65#, the other 75#s. i tried linatone, nupro, missing link( irritation of the anus- one was sensitive to one of the ingredients), fish oil capsules- what a joke, sardines, olive oil, bacon fat. then i went w/ cold pressed and have purchased it ever since- 9 years .

I feed raw also and neither dogs have had dry itchy, flaky skin. In fact their coats are beautiful even with the very cold Winter and heat in the house in the North East. I do add Grizzly Salmon oil and raw unrefined coconut oil alternately. I only use 1 to 2 squirts of oil even though the directions say to use 4 to 5. I'm thinking that might cause loose stools. Works for my dogs.

I wanted to add.... I know many can't or don't want to feed raw so a good kibble with not a lot of grains, at least use kibble with healthy grains no corn or fillers. Still add the oil.

Some ppl use olive oil which I used to think was good but in researching this it seems it is not readily digestible for dogs so they won't get the benefits as humans would.

Guest Lillypad

I believe coconut oil is way overrated. It seems to be the cure-all, flavor of the month. Fish oil is your best supplement. Make sure it is a COLD water, WILD fish and not a farmed fish product. Also read the ingredidents, try to get a product that is void of soy, colors and other additives. The capsule should be pure animal geletine. It is recommended 20-55 mg of combined EPA and DHA per pound of body weight. Start out slow and work up to the full dosage. I have had great success with fish oil. But the trick is to get a good quality product with the correct EPA and DHA, you will not see good results with an inferior product. My dog's dandraff was SO EMBARRASSING, but her coat and skin is now silky, shiney and flake free. It is going to take some time to get her coat/skin in shape, so be patient.

On another note: A raw diet has worked wonders for our dog as well. I found Missing Link, gave her loose stools, however, I was giving it to her plus fish oil, may have been too much for her system. I have heard good things about Missing Link, but can't comment on it. But I do believe coconut oil is a waste of time and money.

I also feed a raw diet. One of my hounds is also black, the other is light brindle. I do add coconut oil, sardines (in water) same as fish oil but more fun for the dogs to eat, plus Missing Link, raw eggs and flax seed. But I honestly think it is the raw diet did the trick, (I add the other stuff just in case). Both dogs have soft, dander free, shiny coats. You can really see it on the black hound, he looks so glossy. I am a big fan of raw feeding. :)