If You Could Spare A Prayer For Larry Updt Post #29

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

hi folks, yesterday was crazy, sorry for not updating. He was definitely NOT feeling well yesterday, NOT himself at all. The vet called mid-day and said if he wasn't feeling better by today we should bring him back in.

KNOCK ON WOOD he does seem to be more his old self today, was moderately bouncy for his 5:15am breakfast (yay!) and he didn't lay there and groan for 2 hours like he did on Sunday after breakfast (although he has groaned other times too so it's not totally unusual, but this was pretty long). It's not a pain groan, just a doggie groan, hard to explain.

he followed me upstairs earlier when I went up and shortly after, came right up on Zeke's heels like he normally would. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe he's getting better. We were a little concerned because he last pooped Saturday evening (first one was brown, next one was all barium, white) and hadn't pooped again all day Sunday (we call him Capt. Craptastic, he usually poops many times during the day!).

we decided to take him for a short walk yesterday afternoon, I knew it would be taxing on him since he wasn't feeling good, but he got so excited when we said the word we figured we'd rather take our chances and let him do something he loves so much. He ended up pooping on the walk (yay!) and there was no barium so he must have gotten it all out on Saturday. He pooped again this morning so we know things are working ok so far :)

as much as I'd really, really like to know what all of this was, as long as he's getting better I'm a happy mom. I don't think I've ever been so worried about my babies like this.

thanks again for all the concern and prayers, it makes going through stuff like this a little better :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That sounds like a good update. Continued good thoughts for Larry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad he's feeling better.

Barium has a constipating effect on people, so my guess it does the same for dogs.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So glad to hear he's feeling better. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Mr. Larry is doing very well :) We probably will never know what all of this was (and hopefully it never happens again!) but I'm thankful he's back to normal. I'm still holding off on all his add-ins and treats, gradually adding them back in. None of them are new, he's been eating the same things for years so don't think it's any of that but just making sure.

thanks again for all the prayers and good thoughts, I was so very worried about my little Booger Bear :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

A little over a month ago, I started trying to train Tigger using small bits of string cheese as training treats. At that point, I'd had him for about four months, and I'd never given him cheese. But he had a training session where he ate the equivalent of maybe half a stick of string cheese--and ate it on an empty stomach. After training, he had dinner, and a few hours after that he threw up. A few hours after that, he threw up again. By morning, he'd thrown up at least four times (including a "sneak off while mom's sleeping and upchuck behind the furniture" event).

I took him to the vet, and they x-rayed. No sign of bloat, but the vet described an area on the film that showed irritation and inflammation. We gave him a shot of cerenia (GSOD and one outraged dog), and I took him home and put him on a bland diet for a day and a half. (Mostly oatmeal.) The cerenia was enough to stop the nausea, and Tigger recovered quickly.

I'm wondering if what your vet saw on the x-rays was some inflamed, irritated tissue, and that inflammation resolved itself. One big difference here is that Tigger didn't feel bad--at least, not beyond the excuse-me-mom-I've-gotta-barf moments. When he wasn't barfing, he was eating and drinking normally (except that I refused to give him breakfast before the vet visit). Actually, Larry's behavior makes more sense: if you've got a queasy stomach, you shouldn't want to be eating everything in sight, but Tigger's brain seems to completely shut down the moment he sights food. (That's the only explanation for a dog that tries to take pills out of his housemate's mouth. Food, to Tigger, is the same as squirrel to other dogs.)

We haven't confirmed that Tigger is lactose intolerant, but I'm going to operate on that assumption and give him something else for training treats--rather than run tests, or just give him dairy and wait to see what happens. Maybe Larry also had a one-off bad reaction to something, and the scary mass on the x-rays was inflammation.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

A little over a month ago, I started trying to train Tigger using small bits of string cheese as training treats. At that point, I'd had him for about four months, and I'd never given him cheese. But he had a training session where he ate the equivalent of maybe half a stick of string cheese--and ate it on an empty stomach. After training, he had dinner, and a few hours after that he threw up. A few hours after that, he threw up again. By morning, he'd thrown up at least four times (including a "sneak off while mom's sleeping and upchuck behind the furniture" event).

I took him to the vet, and they x-rayed. No sign of bloat, but the vet described an area on the film that showed irritation and inflammation. We gave him a shot of cerenia (GSOD and one outraged dog), and I took him home and put him on a bland diet for a day and a half. (Mostly oatmeal.) The cerenia was enough to stop the nausea, and Tigger recovered quickly.

I'm wondering if what your vet saw on the x-rays was some inflamed, irritated tissue, and that inflammation resolved itself. One big difference here is that Tigger didn't feel bad--at least, not beyond the excuse-me-mom-I've-gotta-barf moments. When he wasn't barfing, he was eating and drinking normally (except that I refused to give him breakfast before the vet visit). Actually, Larry's behavior makes more sense: if you've got a queasy stomach, you shouldn't want to be eating everything in sight, but Tigger's brain seems to completely shut down the moment he sights food. (That's the only explanation for a dog that tries to take pills out of his housemate's mouth. Food, to Tigger, is the same as squirrel to other dogs.)

We haven't confirmed that Tigger is lactose intolerant, but I'm going to operate on that assumption and give him something else for training treats--rather than run tests, or just give him dairy and wait to see what happens. Maybe Larry also had a one-off bad reaction to something, and the scary mass on the x-rays was inflammation.

that sounds similar to how Larry was -- seemed ok except for the throwing up. On Sunday, however, he was DEFINITELY not feeling well, but it could be from all the fuss/barium the day before. As far as I can recall (and I'm 99.9% certain) he didn't get anything new at all prior to the event. Both get a spoonful of cottage cheese and yogurt with their evening meal, along with some canned salmon or sardines (sometimes hardboiled egg) and some "shakey cheese" (Parmesan cheese, started when Zeke began to not eat his meals last summer, to entice him to eat). No new food, nothing. So I don't know :( But my gut feeling (no pun intended!) is some reaction to SOMETHING and it inflamed his tummy. Wish I knew what it was so I can avoid it! :(

ETA: we brought him in because he was presenting just like Nube when he was bloating -- the only symptom Nube had was repeated vomiting. I asked the vet (who saved Nube's life, Dr. Sutarik :)) how come Nube didn't "bloat" (i.e. stomach all distended, in an obvious way) and he said it was because we caught it so early, he had just started to tortion when we brought him in. I really wish these guys could talk!

Edited by RaineysMom