Eating Grass

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Hi-I have a grazer on my hands. Ever since Boston warmed up and grass has started growing, every time we go out for walk it seems like Ernie wants to eat grass. This morning I took him to the dog park and he grazed for most of the time until I could shoo him and keep him moving.

This afternoon he threw it all up.

Do greyhounds do this to settle their stomachs or it a normal grey thing?

It's a dog thing, not just Greys. I don't know if anybody really knows why dogs eat grass. Some eat it, then vomit withing a few minutes, thus making people think that they had an upset stomach to begin with. ::shrug:: Who knows. I mean, who really knows about anything another species does? LOL My girl used to eat grass once in a while and them immediately heave it up. Honestly, I assume if she had an upset stomach, she'd just vomit without needing help but like I said, nobody *really* knows why they do it, at least IMO.

All my four greys have been grazers..they did it all the time but particularly in the spring when the grass is sweet and young. I always just say they are part greyhound, part goat. :hehe

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Sweep's a grazer too. She's been in full-on goat mode since spring arrived and never throws it up, although she might gag a little because it tickles her throat. I think she just enjoys the taste. I do wish she'd chew it better because it's not much fun standing on the sidewalk of a busy street with a baggie-gloved hand pulling a long blade of grass out of your dog's butt! (You've been warned. :lol)

When she actually is feeling unwell, her behavior is much more frantic; she heads straight for the pots of grass I keep indoors for the cats and basically uproots them.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest roweboy

It is a dog thing and I'm guessing it's mostly used as roughage to facilitate vomiting. Every dog I've owned has eaten grass to help vomiting. My grey's stomach was making awful noises last week and he ate grass until he vomited. First time he's done it but not a new thing. He also loves to graze on the ever-present bunny poop in our yard - ick but not harmful, it seems. I think new grass is especially tempting to dogs so perhaps your dog's grazing will wane.

tI rained a bunch the last few days and Poodle, Barkley and Fritz next door have been liberally helping themselves to the "salad bar".

Poodle loves grass and never throws up afterward. Buck liked grass and also never threw up. When his stomach was out of sorts he'd seek out some kind of elm and eat the leaves.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Twiggy is also a goathound. She almost never brings it back up; she just loves to eat it. Pretty much to the point of obsession.

I've actually grown small planters of grass for her in the past (at least that way I know exactly what she is eating!)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest fastcasper

My guys are my weed whackers. They eat all along the fence line. They just love the taste of it. It never comes back out of the mouth, only the back end. That's a real treat for me!!

My guys are my weed whackers. They eat all along the fence line. They just love the taste of it. It never comes back out of the mouth, only the back end. That's a real treat for me!!

Oh, yes! Having to "help" with this issue is classic - especially when it happens on a busy sidewalk! :lol

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest TheGirlz

Yes, both of ours (one grey, one lab retriever x) are munchers. They particularly love the young sweet grass. And yes I have had to "assist" in the middle of a busy park. My husband is mortified and has to walk away, but what's a mum to do, you can't leave them hanging!

Bella is the first dog I've had who not only doesn't throw it up, she seems to digest it exceptionally well. Goathound indeed :D

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Teague also LOVES eating grass. It's the only "veggie" he'll eat. My other dogs of other breeds have never eaten grass, only on rare occasions when they need to throw up. Teague eats it all the time though and it never makes him sick. He seems to just enjoy eating it, I don't know if he likes the roughage or what. I don't worry about it.

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky is another who just loves grass because its tasty. During the winter she kept going to her grass spot and looked all sad. now that its coming up again its chowtime! :chow