Quick Advice Needed Re Dew Claw - Merlin

Hello everyone,

It's been a while, but I'll leave the pleasantries for another day -- right now I have a bit of an urgent question.

Merlin just broke his dew claw running. It's in pretty bad shape and won't stop bleeding. We have not yet tried to apply any stiptick powder because the nail is kind of dangling and I think it's really going to have to come off.

Here is a bad photo - the nail is severed at the level where the droplet of blood appears.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/kerrywyler/9E880B42-251A-4664-B96F-D4640BE66D42.jpg

E-vet? Or can I wrap it for tonight and take him tomorrow? I'm thinking e-vet right now, but incredibly I haven't dealt with a dew claw situation before.

Sorry, not sure how the image will appear, posting from my phone.

Kerry

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Gracie did the same thing to her dewclaw. In fact, exactly the same spot as Merlin's. I just cleaned it up, wrapped it and took her to the vet a day or so later. I wouldn't bother going to the evet. Give Merlin a scratch from me and hugs to you too.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

My E-Vet criteria is pretty much if the dog is not in distress, eating and drinking and not heavily bleeding it can probably wait until morning but you are the one there with him. It probably will have to be amputated. You can use flour as quick stop.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I would bandage it and wait until morning. My thought is that if it needs to be taken off then waiting until morning won't make it any harder for the vet.

But, I tend to under panic on things. Heidi was a booboo magnet. She came in bleed all the time and always right after regular vet hours. I quickly learned that if it doesn't require immediate surgery and I can stop the bleeding then it can wait for morning.

I hope the wizard feels better soon (and you can get some sleep tonight).

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Bandage it and wait until you can get to your regular vet. Paul did this once while we were away for the weekend. We put antibiotic cream, guaze and vet wrap and as soon as we got home I made an appointment at our vet. When we got there and she took off our bandage, the nail fell off. She laughed and didn't event charge us for the visit. She wrapped it again and said take it off in a few days. Hope yours is as simple.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Bandage it and wait until you can get to your regular vet. Paul did this once while we were away for the weekend. We put antibiotic cream, guaze and vet wrap and as soon as we got home I made an appointment at our vet. When we got there and she took off our bandage, the nail fell off. She laughed and didn't event charge us for the visit. She wrapped it again and said take it off in a few days. Hope yours is as simple.

That's what I was going to suggest, too, Kerry, to wrap it tonight and you might find tomorrow that the nail will have come right off. Seamus did this, x2.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I don't think the nail would have come off on its own and I couldn't stop the bleeding, and he seemed to be in considerable distress, so in the end I took him in.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep it in mind for next time, if there is a next time. They have him some antibiotics for 5 days and told me to keep it wrapped for 24 hours, as the quick is completely exposed. It's definitely sore - I had to get up several times during the night to get him to lie down again and relax, as he was very restless. :( But he seemed to be comforted by my presence beside him. :heart I just hope the bandage isn't too right. I always worry about circulation.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Poor Merlin-those hurt. He's most likely uncomfortable because of the bandage. To be honest I would take the bandage off and let the air get at the quick-you will be surprised how quickly (pardon the pun!) the quick dries up. The trick is to keep him from licking it. Hugs to your boy.

:heart I just hope the bandage isn't too right. I always worry about circulation.

Feel his toes and compare the temperature on the bandaged foot to an unbandaged foot. If the bandaged foot has warm toes, you're okay. If the toes are cold, try warming them by holding the foot in your hands, and see if they keep that warmth. If they won't warm up or if they go cold again, then the bandage may be too tight.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you all! :colgate

Great tip about checking both paws, KF_in_Georgia, thanks! :)

My vet followed up this afternoon and I will be taking the bandage off in a couple of hours, once I am done with chores and am able to supervise him. I already know that he will try to lick it incessantly <_< if he does, I'll be wrapping it up again tomorrow morning while I'm at work, and unwrap it again for good in the evening.

irrigate w. saline solution and apply antibiotic ointment ONCE and let it heal. felix sliced- a deep long slice - under his dew claw. it was at least 1" long and 3/4" deep. stupidly i took him to the vet who looked at it and said, it's clotted, nicely bandaged, leave it alone for $80! i knew it was still dirty, but he liked the way it was aligned. one week later- bandages off he was back to his usual craziness.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad for this thread! Sweep did the same thing tonight (sorry if it's huge; posting from phone):

1B0DF406-5526-4728-AFB2-823E557E3E68.jpg

It sticks out almost sideways when she is standing. :( I got the bleeding stopped with styptic powder (which she promptly licked off--should I be worried about that?) and put some colloidal silver gel on it, but she won't tolerate a bandage of any kind. She didn't make a peep when it happened but keeps catching it on her bedding and yelping. Poor baby; I expect a restless night ahead. I knew something was bound to happen sooner or later with her having a new yard of her very own! Vet first thing tomorrow.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I suspect you vet is going to give this a strong yank (or snip) and will bandage this for a couple of days. It will heal quickly.

Thanks; that's what I was thinking too. Ugh, I am already bracing myself for the GSOD when they cut it.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Kasey ripped one of his back nails (not dew claw) off his paw, twice, and both times it was yanked. Cannot believe the amount of blood that comes from a nail bed though. My stoic pup made not a sound. Couldn't believe it. We now call it his lucky fin. Vet applied krazy glue to seal it up and badaboom badabing, all done. A dew claw must be 100% more tender tho!

Merlin I'm sure is loving all the love you are spreading his way and all the fuss you are making over him.

Miss seeing you on here, stop by more often!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015