I'm Starting Full-Time Work, Should I Crate?

Guest BrontoTheFirst

Guest BrontoTheFirst

I've had Bronto since August 2013 and he's been so great. For the first couple weeks we had him, we would make sure we put him in his crate whenever we left the house, just to be safe, but since then he's been able to roam the house all the time. He's never shown any signs of separation anxiety - no messes in the house, no destruction, nothing. He just sleeps from what we can tell. We've had maybe a handful of days where he'd be left at home for 8-10 hours, and still he's been fine.

Additionally, he's been fine not pooping/peeing for up to 12-14 hrs on a pretty regular basis (overnight). (He'd rather eat first thing in the morning than walk, and would rather go to bed at night than another walk - we've tested this out.)

On Monday I'm starting full-time work for the first time since we've adopted Bronto. This work requires me to leave him at home for 12 hrs every day (6am to 6pm) 5 days a week. I plan to walk him at 5am then walk him immediately when I get home at 6pm.

My question is: despite all his good behavior and no signs of separation anxiety, should I consider crating him while I'm at work, at least for the first few weeks to get him used to me being away? Or should I just let him be as he's been for the past 6 months?

He likes his crate - in fact, he's sleeping in it now. But I also know he really likes sleeping in our bed when we're not here. I wouldn't mind crating him for his own good, but I also don't want to crate him if there's really no need to.

Would love to here some opinions from more experienced greyhound owners out there! This is our first pet, so any insight is welcomed! Thanks!

12 hours is a long time. I've left Summit for up to 14 hours once or twice (situation beyond my control, got held up, etc.) but I don't routinely leave the dogs for longer than 8-10. I think 12 is starting to push it. It depends on the individual dog of course and how much time you spend with them when you ARE home, but in terms of potty breaks 12 hours is more than I like unless it's an extenuating circumstance. You may want to have someone come in to let him out at lunch or at the 7-8 hour mark. Or hire a dog walker. Or if possible pop home for lunch.

ETA: On re-reading your post I notice you say "we". Will someone else be getting home prior to 12 hours?

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

From what you've said, crating doesn't seem to be necessary. However, since this will be a huge change for Bronto's schedule, I would probably ease into it if possible. 12 hours is a little longer than I'm comfortable with, but I'm sure there are people who do it successfully here on Greytalk.

If its feasible, I would have someone (neighbor, friend, dogwalker) stop by for a walkie around noon for a couple of days ... that will give you some nice info about how well Bronto is dealing with being alone for so long (especially since he'll be figuring out that the schedule is 'permanent'). After a few days, have your walker come in at 1p, and every few days, have them come by an extra hour later in the day. Within 3 weeks, Bronto's schedule will have shifted to your new work hours, and you'll both understand how that might change his eating, drinking, & exercise schedule. (for example, Bronto may decide that he should eat & exercise more in the evenings instead of in the mornings).

Congrats on the new job!

Guest BrontoTheFirst

12 hours is a long time. I've left Summit for up to 14 hours once or twice (situation beyond my control, got held up, etc.) but I don't routinely leave the dogs for longer than 8-10. I think 12 is starting to push it. It depends on the individual dog of course and how much time you spend with them when you ARE home, but in terms of potty breaks 12 hours is more than I like unless it's an extenuating circumstance. You may want to have someone come in to let him out at lunch or at the 7-8 hour mark. Or hire a dog walker. Or if possible pop home for lunch.

ETA: On re-reading your post I notice you say "we". Will someone else be getting home prior to 12 hours?

Husband's deployed, so it's just me right now. So no, no one will be home prior to the 12 hours. 12 hours seems to be pushing it for me too...

From what you've said, crating doesn't seem to be necessary. However, since this will be a huge change for Bronto's schedule, I would probably ease into it if possible. 12 hours is a little longer than I'm comfortable with, but I'm sure there are people who do it successfully here on Greytalk.

If its feasible, I would have someone (neighbor, friend, dogwalker) stop by for a walkie around noon for a couple of days ... that will give you some nice info about how well Bronto is dealing with being alone for so long (especially since he'll be figuring out that the schedule is 'permanent'). After a few days, have your walker come in at 1p, and every few days, have them come by an extra hour later in the day. Within 3 weeks, Bronto's schedule will have shifted to your new work hours, and you'll both understand how that might change his eating, drinking, & exercise schedule. (for example, Bronto may decide that he should eat & exercise more in the evenings instead of in the mornings).

Congrats on the new job!

The easing it in process with someone stopping in an hour later each week sounds like a good idea!

And thanks for the congratulations :) Excited to work, but nervous for Bronto haha.

I work full time also and i don't crate my two dogs. They are not destructive and are happier i'm sure going from one bed to the other.

I have someone come in everyday and let them out after 4 hours. Maybe that's excessive but that's how i am. She charges me only $10.00 a day and yes i could use the money in my pocket but i would not be comfortable leaving them home for an extended period. I hope you can find someone to help you out for Brontos sake. I think it would give you peace of mind too. We do what we have to do. Congrats on your new job and thank your husband for serving too!

Personally I think that 12 hours is too long for a dog to be left alone. What if he was unwell? I know that I would be happier if the day was broken by employing a dog walker or similar.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest CaityRose

I would definitely look into hiring a trusted local neighborhood kid to come walk the doggie after school time. As far as the crate goes, just try a few days. He may be better off being out of the crate so he can eat and drink since it's such a long amount of time. Since I live in a weird Germany apartment, I'm fortunate enough to have a door to my kitchen, and I of course close the bathroom and bedroom doors. This eliminates things for her to get into, and things that could harm her if she did get into them. I'm also a crazy dog mom and just started working full time in January, so I got a baby monitor app I hook up to my phone and iPad, and I can check in on her at lunch. Just wanted to say I'm also a military spouse and hubby just deployed if you ever want to talk!

Guest BrontoTheFirst

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts on this topic. It seems like popular opinion is that it's best to break up the day for him.

Now I'm curious, though, has anyone successfully had their grey be at home alone for 12 hours?

I would definitely look into hiring a trusted local neighborhood kid to come walk the doggie after school time. As far as the crate goes, just try a few days. He may be better off being out of the crate so he can eat and drink since it's such a long amount of time. Since I live in a weird Germany apartment, I'm fortunate enough to have a door to my kitchen, and I of course close the bathroom and bedroom doors. This eliminates things for her to get into, and things that could harm her if she did get into them. I'm also a crazy dog mom and just started working full time in January, so I got a baby monitor app I hook up to my phone and iPad, and I can check in on her at lunch. Just wanted to say I'm also a military spouse and hubby just deployed if you ever want to talk!

CaityRose, always nice to connect to another milspouse! Same offer goes to you if you ever want to talk.

Guest klipper

Our (only) greyhound is home alone for 10 hours every day while me and my wife both work and she is content all day until we get home. We tried crating at first, but she broke out using her teeth so we never crated her again. It just takes a leap of faith and hope for the best. We had a hard time taking that leap, but we did and it made all the difference.

That said, when we get home, she bee-lines to outside for a potty break.

Guest BrontoTheFirst

Our (only) greyhound is home alone for 10 hours every day while me and my wife both work and she is content all day until we get home. We tried crating at first, but she broke out using her teeth so we never crated her again. It just takes a leap of faith and hope for the best. We had a hard time taking that leap, but we did and it made all the difference.

That said, when we get home, she bee-lines to outside for a potty break.

Thanks for the input, klipper. It's good to know that there are at least some owners there that have successfully had their dogs be at home by themselves for extended periods of time. I guess I'll just have to take that leap of faith too :)

Sorry but it makes me queasy thinking a dog would be alone that long. Dogs are after all pack animals. Could you go 10-12 hrs without a bathroom break? Yes Greyhounds sleep a lot but then I am wondering...After being gone so long @ work, how much time will you be able to spend with Bronto before you go to sleep? Just my thoughts on it. Just thinking having someone come in to spend a little time with him would be best.

Guest BrontoTheFirst

Sorry but it makes me queasy thinking a dog would be alone that long. Dogs are after all pack animals. Could you go 10-12 hrs without a bathroom break? Yes Greyhounds sleep a lot but then I am wondering...After being gone so long @ work, how much time will you be able to spend with Bronto before you go to sleep? Just my thoughts on it. Just thinking having someone come in to spend a little time with him would be best.

I know, I'm feeling queasy about it too. I'm having my neighbor stop in and check in on him.

Please remind your neighbor to not let him escape. I know, I worry too much, but safety first. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I know, I'm feeling queasy about it too. I'm having my neighbor stop in and check in on him.

Oh great about the neighbor! Obviously you care a lot or wouldn't have asked this question. It will all work out. Also Macoducks advice is good. Hoping you love your new job.

You probably already know this but have your neighbor meet Bronto a couple of times and give treats just so he knows her/him and feels comfortable. I worked in a Greyhound Shelter and know some dogs take to ppl right away and others it takes a little time. I don't know Brontos temperament but Charlie my Grey is the wary type at first.

Please remind your neighbor to not let him escape. I know, I worry too much, but safety first. :)

I'm known as a helicopter mom. I worry too much too at times. :flip

I think it would be interesting to setup video cameras in the house during the day to see what they actually do when ur not home. My girl is alone for 10 hrs today we will see what happens. Hopefully nothing.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Guest FinnsMama

You probably have this Resolved by now, but I too work full time and have no husband. My boy, Finn is alone 10 hours a day and is fine. He does not even rush out for potty breaks. I let him out when I get home but he usually just runs around the yard once with his bone and then right back to the door, not taking the time to potty. Even if I leave him out he will not go potty until he is ready. He is very stubborn, but that is for another Topic, lol... I usually let him right back in and wait for him to let me know when it is time to go potty rahter like your Bronto. He frequently only goes to potty on his walks about 12 hours apart, though i try to get him to go more frequently.

I do crate him because if he is not in his crate he has severe seperation anxiety. He does not have rhe anxiety when alone in his crate.

The grey I had before Finn was also an only dog but he was fine alone 10 hours a day with no crate. He just did not need to be crated and he was always fine. I guess that would just depend on the dog

I do take him for a walk just before I leave to make sure he potties good. But someone to come by and let him out sounds like A good idea if they understand that he must not escape.

Let us know how it works out, and good luck with the new job and i too would like to thank you and your husband for hisservice!

Is your backyard fenced? If your neighbor walks Bronto remind her to hold that leash securely. Bronto was very interested in those ferrets at the pet expo. Your neighbor would be in for a surprise if he saw a cat on his walks.

Hope everything is going well and that there was no need to worry.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

As a reply to the "Has anyone successfully had their grey home alone for 12 hours?", we have. It's not 5 days a week, but from now through July (at least), it is about 11 hours 2 days a week. We did a streaming webcam a few times just to see if our hound did anything other than shift sleeping positions, and he literally just migrates every few hours from various dog beds, couch, blanket piles, floor in the sun, etc. We have never crated (and don't even have one, as our adoption group doesn't use them), just baby-gated. Our new place is so small though (~800 sq. ft) that we no longer baby gate, and Marvin is perfectly fine. On those long days, when home, we make sure Marvin gets all the playtime he can handle and a nice long walk. Marvin is a very social dog though, and we have started having a dog walker come over one of the long days to help keep him on the same dinner schedule and let him be social. The long days alone aren't ideal, but IMO, it's completely doable.

As an FYI, we use both rover.com and dogvacay.com for boarding and for dog walkers, and we have found great people (and their dogs), including a bunch with greyhound experience.

My pups are usually home about 9 hours a day during the week. I have a webcam to check in on them, but honestly it serves me more than anything else. When I need a little break at work, I check in on them. They're always snoozing away, so peacefully. It's a stress reliever for me to see them snoozing :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--