Leaving Her At The Kennel For The First Time

Guest klipper

Guest klipper

Me and my wife are heading to a cruise to the caribbean. We are putting our doggie up in a kennel that is ran by our local rescue group. Are there any hints / tricks to making the drop off / pick up / stay as comfortable as possible?

It's our first time leaving her (after she's been home with us 5 months now) so we would like it to not disrupt her great behavior at home.

Guest sireltonsmom

I'd say to take some of her fave things, a tee shirt you and/or your wife sleep in to have your familiar odor on it, take her usual food and treats. Enjoy yourselves.

Don't make a big deal of saying good bye. The bigger you make it, the more she'll realize something is wrong. Hand over the leash, give a quick kiss on the head, and let her go. Bring food and a bed or toy for her to be comfortable.

Check with the kennel first about taking things along. I found that many of them will not let you bring beds, and some don't want you to bring blankets, etc, either.

We recently left Phoebe for her first post-adoption kennel experience--it was only one night--and she did just fine. She was utterly exhausted when she got home. :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

If it's nearby, ask if you can bring her by for a walk through ahead of time so that she starts to get used to coming and going from there. She will actually be much more okay about being dropped off there than you will be about leaving her. :bgeorge

We drop off Rocket at a boarding facility that only boards greyhounds and is setup much like the racing kennels (but much nicer) and he is so happy to be there and play with his friends that he could care less when we leave. He is usually exhausted when he gets home from playing so much. When he realizes that he is on the road to the kennel, his tail thumps the seat the whole way, and he literally pulls us into the building so he can go see all of the other hounds.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I just make sure that I'm prepared and have thought of everything the dogs might need. I leave detailed instructions. Then I drop them off and just leave. Sucks but it's a lot more painless that way. It's like taking off a bandaid... rip it off quick!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Will the kennel let you have a single day or an overnight stay just to acclimatise the dog to the kennel?

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Since it's a kennel run by a greyhound group - you have very little to worry about. They KNOW greys! If you can go for a visit first that would be super. Get your dog used to the place a bit, and talk with the staff. Ask if you can brings some stuff. I'd be very surprised if a greyhound kennel wouldn't let you bring your dog's bet. Toys "might" be an issue - they'd have to take them away if there's a group turnout area.

I'm sure it'll be just fine. I agree with others, just drop off and GO. And don't worry. Has your dog actually been in that kennel before? Maybe off the track before you adopted her?