Separation Anxiety?

Guest Ogee

My 3.5 yo girl has been having a terrible time when left alone, which has to happen during the work week since I live with her and 3 cats. I walk her 3 times daily and the time alone is 4 hours long but she pretty much trashes the place during those hours. I reluctantly tried crating her but she's destroyed 2 crates. Keeping a tv on does nothing and a holistic formula for anxiety in dogs wasn't well tolerated. She does seem to be entertaining herself during some of this time because she moves countless items all over the house, meaning I go on a scavenger hunt each day I get home from work.

Ogee doe fine when left with her greyhound pal, Sonic or any human.

Any suggestions?

Muzzle?

Or the more obvious choice ...get her a companion ;)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Have you tried leaving her filled kongs? You could leave her one unfrozen and a couple of frozen ones that will take her longer to finish. You could also try leaving her a "destruction box" - a cardboard box filled with old tissue boxes, toilet roll tubes, scrunched up newspaper etc that she can safely destroy - you could hide a chewy bar of some kind in there too. Might give her something to do and distract her from her anxiety.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest grey_dreams

You need to do intensive alone training. If you search the forum, you will find a lot of detailed posts for how to do alone training.

I have a greyhound that is having similar problems plus I also have 2 cats. She kept bending the crate door in addition to urinating and defecating in there. So now we leave her out during the day with muzzle on and she is so much better. I may also at some point try the d.a.p collar is what we recommend and the vet hospital I work at for moderate to severe separation aniexty which seems to also help

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15