Letting Them Run Free

FijiHound that is incredible. Great beach, great dog.

There are two risk elements to this, a dog that will simply run away from the owner and get lost, and a situation where a dog gets hit by a car. If you have a dog that you remotely suspect might leave you and not come back, it should never be let off leash - period (unless there is a fence). As for getting hit by a car, that can be avoided if you choose your off leash places wisely.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WhiteWave

The other thing the OP should consider is the terms of their adoption agreement. I know that both of the groups I've signed agreements with have stipulated that I will not have them off leash unless they're in a fenced in area.

I also tend to think that those who are able to do this more reliably are people who have had their greyhounds since they were puppies. Some greyhounds who have raced, there's just no way in hell they will even hear you if they're after something.

Out of all the dogs I have and dogs in the past. My retired racers were consistently the best off lead. The ones I raised from puppies are good, but out of the dogs I have now no matter the breed, Ronon the retired racer is left loose when I need to leash the others. He will walk by my side and can and has been called off chasing critters. My whereabouts are of utmost importance to him more than anything else in this world. He is spooky around strangers and noise phobic and still even when we were out and a t-storm came up and a crack of thunder hit that even made me jump and it rarely bothers me, sounded like a canon was fired right above our heads. Ronon staid glued to my side as we picked up the pace to get to the car before the rain hit. He was scared to death, but he remained steadfast by my side. I am his protector and he feels safest with me.

Every dog is different, some dogs can never be let off leash, some can. But I really think it depends on the owner. I have had dogs running off leash with my pack and never had an issue where in the previous home, they jumped the fence and ran off and would never come back.

FijiHound that is incredible. Great beach, great dog.

There are two risk elements to this, a dog that will simply run away from the owner and get lost, and a situation where a dog gets hit by a car. If you have a dog that you remotely suspect might leave you and not come back, it should never be let off leash - period (unless there is a fence). As for getting hit by a car, that can be avoided if you choose your off leash places wisely.

Agree 100%.

I have a broken grey :) Even if she is chasing something (in Fijis case a mongoose or a bird... or Scruffy my other dog) I can break her focus before I finish calling out her name... The first few times we took her to the beach she was leashed, until we realized we could trust her (this was with recall in a fenced in park). Her recall is amazing, but I think it has a lot to do with having zilch prey drive. She likes to keep checking up on us as well for a pat during her run... so she never gets too far :). We tend to use 'come on' to get her to come to us though.

A loud "OI" has her skidding in her tracks and trying to find me ;)

Here she is a few years ago :)

Love, love, love this video. I actually laughed out loud watching her. I can't believe her energy.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

I never really understood why this is a contentious issue. Common sense should prevail. If you can't trust your dog don't do it. If you can trust your dog only do it where it is safe. And finally no matter what you, your dog, or the situation is like, do not for a minute believe that there is no chance that your dog could be injured or killed. There is always a risk. This would apply to any breed, the difference being that the percentage of Greys that could be trusted is pretty small compared to some other breeds.

A couple of questions for Grey owners who are considering the off leash thing: can you call your Grey out of a full rush after a squirrel, rabbit or other dog? Does your Grey get anxious if they cannot see you? If you cannot answer yes to these questions, better to stick to a fenced area.

Not sure if the OP has seen some of my earlier posts related to this topic but there are some Greys that perform off leash no differently than any other breed of a sensible disposition. I no longer use a leash, haven't done so for over a year. The exception is if we are out when it is dark or in a area with traffic.

My feeling is that much of this comes down to the dog and the nature of the relationship with its person. If I actually knew how to train a dog I would attribute the behaviour below to my "amazing skills". The reality here is its just the dog and what seems to make him feel best. My experience with Greys is limited to a couple of dozen examples so perhaps my dog's behaviour is an extreme outlier.

and recall (he's trotting to his second favourite person who is holding the camera):

If Hester is an outlier, so is our Ben.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Out of all the dogs I have and dogs in the past. My retired racers were consistently the best off lead. The ones I raised from puppies are good, but out of the dogs I have now no matter the breed, Ronon the retired racer is left loose when I need to leash the others. He will walk by my side and can and has been called off chasing critters. My whereabouts are of utmost importance to him more than anything else in this world.

My experience is much the same. I have two greyhounds. I've raised Truman from a puppy, and Henry was a retired racer who came home at 2 years old. Henry is actually the one who can be trusted off-leash... Truman has twice as much training under his belt, but half as much reliability. :lol I think it has more to do with personality, prey-drive, and training than the length of time you've had them.

Guest Lillypad

I have a broken grey :) Even if she is chasing something (in Fijis case a mongoose or a bird... or Scruffy my other dog) I can break her focus before I finish calling out her name... The first few times we took her to the beach she was leashed, until we realized we could trust her (this was with recall in a fenced in park). Her recall is amazing, but I think it has a lot to do with having zilch prey drive. She likes to keep checking up on us as well for a pat during her run... so she never gets too far :). We tend to use 'come on' to get her to come to us though.

A loud "OI" has her skidding in her tracks and trying to find me ;)

Here she is a few years ago :)

WOW.. What a sight. I "KNOW" they can run fast, but seeing it never ceases to amaze me. I would love to have my girl "cut loose" like that. Maybe... someday... Thanks for sharing

I have had my first greyhound for just two months but I've had whippets for over twenty years. At the moment I cannot even get Chancey to walk to heel & certainly have no recall on her yet. Would I let her off to run free? Now, no, but if I could eventually get a reasonably reliable recall, yes I probably would because when it comes down to it she is a running dog, that is what she is bred to do, that's her nature. I appreciate that I run the risk of something happening to her but there is risk in everything we do & to me it is unkind to the animal not to let it have the chance to run if it wanted to. My fenced back garden is small, four running strides and she's nearly at the end of the lawn, twenty minutes drive away & I have a beach she could stretch out on, I will be delighted if I can eventually allow her to run on that beach.

As for the risks - most days I walk my dogs on Forestry Commission land, some of which is heathland, home to the only poisonous snake in the UK. Whenever I take them there in the summer months I run the risk of them getting bitten by an Adder, a friend's whippet died after being bitten, it wasn't loose, it wasn't running free, it was on a lead, standing on the grass at the side of the path while other dog walkers passed by, it was just unlucky that an Adder must have been hiding in that patch of grass or undergrowth. I know I run that risk every time I walk my dogs in the forest but they need the opportunity to walk in pleasant conditions with lots of interesting smells etc. rather than only walk the pavements around my housing estate.

When it comes down to it a dog is a dog & should be allowed to do the things a dog needs to do and a greyhound or a whippet needs to have the opportunity to run. whether it makes the most of that opportunity only the dog can decide but all of my whippets have enjoyed the freedom of running on that beach & chasing a squirrel through the trees in the forest. My heart has been in my mouth several times when they've disappeared for a while but I could never keep them on a lead for the whole of their life with me.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Guest Lillypad

KickReturn... maybe some day. Honestly in the year and half we have had Lilly she has NEVER been off leash in unfenced area, we do work hard on recall but I am just not confident. Also my husband would never go for it, he would never forgive me if anything happened to her (quite possibly divorce me.... LOL)

When it comes down to it a dog is a dog & should be allowed to do the things a dog needs to do and a greyhound or a whippet needs to have the opportunity to run. whether it makes the most of that opportunity only the dog can decide but all of my whippets have enjoyed the freedom of running on that beach & chasing a squirrel through the trees in the forest. My heart has been in my mouth several times when they've disappeared for a while but I could never keep them on a lead for the whole of their life with me.

I disagree with the argument that a greyhound *needs* to run. Yes, many enjoy running. It's beneficial to their health to run and keep up their musculature. But they don't *need* to run.

Two examples to prove my point. A border collie doesn't need to tend sheep to be happy. Many border collies live in urban environments where they never come across a sheep and they live long and happy lives.

I like to travel. I want to go to every country or at least every continent. But I don't *need* to do so. I can enrich my life in many other ways and still be happy.

A greyhound does not *need* to run free in order to be happy. But if you want to let them off lead and they are mostly reliable, then by all means do it. Just don't bring their *need* for it into the debate.

(I off lead my greyhounds, so in my case it is worth the risk.)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I absolutely think that some dogs NEED to run. It is not that they need it or they will die. But there are different levels of "need". Kili "needs" to run pretty much every day. Does she die if she doesn't? Well, not exactly, but she can't settle, can't relax, and gets into everything and anything all. day. long. Even with training and mental stimulation.

A border collie doesn't need to herd sheep but they DO need a JOB. We don't have as many sheep anymore, but what has saved border collies is that we have found new jobs for them to focus on like agility, flyball, disc, and obedience. You can't take a working line border collie and say "they don't need sheep" so they can just hang out and be a house pet. You have to replace working sheep with something else or everyone will be miserable, including the dog.

Anyone who thinks this is not an actual need is arguably not a runner or an athlete. For those of us that are... we NEED to be active. I NEED to play hockey and Frisbee and go for jogs and hikes. I will not die physically without it, but it is not good for my mental health to be confined all the time. Some of our dogs are more athletes than others, and some really do need it in my opinion. I think most people can find a safe, fenced location to let them run anyway. You don't need to off leash them to let them run.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest WhiteWave

I absolutely think that some dogs NEED to run. It is not that they need it or they will die. But there are different levels of "need". Kili "needs" to run pretty much every day. Does she die if she doesn't? Well, not exactly, but she can't settle, can't relax, and gets into everything and anything all. day. long. Even with training and mental stimulation.

A border collie doesn't need to herd sheep but they DO need a JOB. We don't have as many sheep anymore, but what has saved border collies is that we have found new jobs for them to focus on like agility, flyball, disc, and obedience. You can't take a working line border collie and say "they don't need sheep" so they can just hang out and be a house pet. You have to replace working sheep with something else or everyone will be miserable, including the dog.

Anyone who thinks this is not an actual need is arguably not a runner or an athlete. For those of us that are... we NEED to be active. I NEED to play hockey and Frisbee and go for jogs and hikes. I will not die physically without it, but it is not good for my mental health to be confined all the time. Some of our dogs are more athletes than others, and some really do need it in my opinion. I think most people can find a safe, fenced location to let them run anyway. You don't need to off leash them to let them run.

Totally agree. Not all Greyhound have the need to run, but some do and there is really no other way to describe other than a NEED. Joey needs to run or he is going to ruin my life and running a fenced acre or so it not going to cut it. This dog has to run hard, maybe not daily. But the days I can't run him hard, he will make do with constant game of fetch until my arm hurts and playing the flirt pole. But that only takes the edge off. It doesn't relieve the need to run.

I disagree with the argument that a greyhound *needs* to run. Yes, many enjoy running. It's beneficial to their health to run and keep up their musculature. But they don't *need* to run.

Two examples to prove my point. A border collie doesn't need to tend sheep to be happy. Many border collies live in urban environments where they never come across a sheep and they live long and happy lives.

I like to travel. I want to go to every country or at least every continent. But I don't *need* to do so. I can enrich my life in many other ways and still be happy.

Those examples do not prove your point at all. If an animal is endowed with a particular physical attribute, then for full health and mental well-being they do need to use it - assuming they are so inclined. If they don't, their bodies do not get a proper workout and psychologically it can be very damaging. Many of us have seen zoo animals in the old style 'concrete box with bars' type housing and they go stir crazy.

Most Border Collies do most certainly need to have a job - it might not actually be herding sheep, but if they aren't given something to do, both physically and mentally, you will probably soon have a delinquent on your hands.

Your analogy with travel is specious. Not only is it not a physical attribute we are talking about with greyhounds and running, but you choose not to travel, for various reasons. Nobody imprisons you and makes it impossible. If you were denied the opportunity to see, while having the full use of your eyes, or hear, while having full use of your ears, then we might be talking similarities.

The RSPCA have a checklist of requirements, in this country, to determine whether animals are being kept humanely:

"- somewhere suitable to live

- a proper diet, including fresh water

- the ability to express normal behaviour

- for any need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals

- protection from, and treatment of, illness and injury."

It seems to me that being able to run flat out would indeed be 'expressing normal behaviour' for a greyhound.

Another very good point :nod

I am perhaps a good example of the human equivalent of the lazy greyhound who can't be bothered to run anywhere: I have always been bored by physical exercise just for its own sake and so I have never chosen to exercise for fun. I am now, as I get older, paying the price for that. I have all kinds of physical problems, and have to force myself to do a certain amount of exercise because otherwise my muscles become very painful and I can't do a darned thing.

Sometimes I wonder about the reason that retired greyhounds are prone to strokes. Our retired greyhounds are famous for their ability lie around looking blissfully happy doing absolutely nothing all day, and I think can fool people into thinking that they don't need to do anything much. But we know that in humans, being sedentary and not exercising properly can lead to blood clots. Why not in dogs? You might argue that active racers spend a lot of time lying around doing nothing too - and that's true, but they do have a structured exercise regime. They are let out into paddocks to play, and they are taken racing.

IMHO, we owe it to our dogs to let them live as full a life as we can make possible for them, after they retire.

Having said all that, you have to know your dog, train your dog, and choose your location wisely. I don't do much off-lead with the two I have now because Jeffie would chase and wouldn't listen and wouldn't even see where he was running because his sight is going, and Sid is not only a tripod, but an aging tripod with some aches and pains and he can get very defensive with loose dogs.

I have in the past had greyhounds that I could and did let off-lead in the countryside every day, often twice a day. Not one of those off-leaders got into any kind of serious trouble. My first used to disappear off into the distance chasing rabbits and would come back to the exact spot he left me, 100% of the time. Never failed. He and the other two of them got the odd scrape or small cut, but they got them equally on and off lead. The worst injuries we've had over the years happened in our own house or garden - except Jeffie who broke his toe running in a completely safe, fenced enclosure on flat grass.

Actually, Jeffie is the most-injured of all our greyhounds and he is the only one who has never been off-lead outside of a fenced enclosure. And that's why he never will be. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I agree that our dogs do need to run. Even our Hermon who is the quintessential retired racer loves to get up and go to show the young ones exactly how it was done in his day before cruising off to check pee mail. But I also think part of it is because we do exercise our dogs quite a bit - being fit makes them more likely to want to run - and they have always been in a pair of either young dogs or a group of three, so there is someone there to run with or against. So I wonder when I meet people who claim their greys won't run whether its because of a lack of decent running partners apart from everything else. I also believe, though, that the older the greys get, like us, the less important the vigorous exercise is and more important slower low impact stuff becomes.

Guest WhiteWave

I agree that our dogs do need to run. Even our Hermon who is the quintessential retired racer loves to get up and go to show the young ones exactly how it was done in his day before cruising off to check pee mail. But I also think part of it is because we do exercise our dogs quite a bit - being fit makes them more likely to want to run - and they have always been in a pair of either young dogs or a group of three, so there is someone there to run with or against. So I wonder when I meet people who claim their greys won't run whether its because of a lack of decent running partners apart from everything else. I also believe, though, that the older the greys get, like us, the less important the vigorous exercise is and more important slower low impact stuff becomes.

I think a lot people say their dog won't run and mostly it is single dog or they only give them a few chances and they may not be comfortable in the area they are at to run and sometimes they just need motivation.

Ronon would never run if it were just him, but he can only take watching Joey run so much before he joins in. And Ronon is older and lazier. He could get by with leash walking and stuff. But I know this dog LOVES hiking more than anything. And the park where he is loose with the option to run. He may walk the entire hike right beside, but he can run if he wants too. Ronon is not a overly affectionate dog, but when we get in the car, he watches where we go and after certain number of correct turns have taken place and we are on Hwy 60, he knows where we are going and he will get up and come up and put his head on my shoulder and give me a kiss and then go lay back down. He only does that when we are going to our favorite trail.

Edited by WhiteWave

Each dog is different. Now that the weather is good, Annie and I are walking 3 miles a day, 1 mile in the morning and 2 miles in the afternoon. (During the winter we walked 1 to 1.5 miles a day total). We also have a large fenced backyard and 9 out of 10 days, she won't run or even walk fast in the yard, whether alone or with her friend Daisy, a lurcher who lives a few houses down the street. Daisy can run, play bow, tease, etc, and Annie ignores her completely, unless, so I assume, she feels like playing. This evening for the first time since *last fall* Annie ran zoomies around the yard, with a huge grin on her face, and I know it was because she was so happy to see me home after being gone for almost 5 hours (a long time of separation for us). But she ran for maybe 90 seconds and probably won't run again for 2 weeks.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest chickenpotpie

Totally agree. Not all Greyhound have the need to run, but some do and there is really no other way to describe other than a NEED. Joey needs to run or he is going to ruin my life and running a fenced acre or so it not going to cut it. This dog has to run hard, maybe not daily. But the days I can't run him hard, he will make do with constant game of fetch until my arm hurts and playing the flirt pole. But that only takes the edge off. It doesn't relieve the need to run.

I agree with this. going for a run somewhere nice and remote is good for Lucky (and ME!) It allows her to tire herself out because she would otherwise make me nuts. I let her really flat out run 2-3 times a week and that seems to satisfy the need in her. She did get pretty bummed when her favorite places were really iced over this winter, but we made other fun playing in the snow and extending walks if needbe.

If she had terrible recall, and was jumpy about the sounds we have around here (we hear trains a lot) then she would never be off leash.

Oh and btw, Lucky did get hurt and require stitches....in her own backyard.

Edited by chickenpotpie

I've had 6 greyhounds. Of those only one would have and did have off leash. Jilly's recall was supurb. She was also the only one I did actual obedience with which may say something.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'd just like to add that allowing them to run flat out does not necessarily mean they have to be off lead.

True. And the extra resistance given by your weight as you are dragged along face down in the dirt is excellent for building muscle.

Mine do only run off lead but only in fully fenced areas. Part of their joy in running is in racing and chasing each other.

Guest WhiteWave

A little video clip of my boys. Joey is who knows where in the woods and Ronon and Repo are running around. All I gotta say is bye and see them all come running.

th_20140402_193409_zpsd4a42636.jpg

Guest kkaiser104

I think there are so many good points here. The most important thing IMHO is that the owner is committed to training and the dog is THE RIGHT DOG to be off leash.

I have littermates. Teddi has amazing recall, can be called off of the chase, loves the dog park, and doesn't care about squirrels or small dogs. He's anxious and high energy, but he loves his mommy and knows that he is expected to come when called. Not coming is not an option in our house.

Winchester, on the other hand, has great recall unless he sees a squirrel, small dog, leaf in the wind, etc.. He could never be trusted off leash--he'd be gone in a heartbeat at the first squirrel. He might come back, but I think he'd be far off by the time he realized he was gone.

Both dogs have the same training (though Teddi does have a little time on his brother) and the same genes. They live in the same house. One could never come off of the leash, and one might be trustworthy at a large dog park, or in the woods. It's nature vs. nurture and it's the owners responsibility to know their dog and their adoption agreement.

True. And the extra resistance given by your weight as you are dragged along face down in the dirt is excellent for building muscle.

Ha! :lol Yes, I was rather tired (and sick) when I wrote that. What I meant, of course, was that it doesn't have to be off-lead in an open space. It can be in an enclosed area! :blush

A little video clip of my boys. Joey is who knows where in the woods and Ronon and Repo are running around. All I gotta say is bye and see them all come running.

:nod That's what we do, too. Or used to, when we had suitable off-leaders!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I think there are so many good points here. The most important thing IMHO is that the owner is committed to training and the dog is THE RIGHT DOG to be off leash.

That is so right, some dogs just cannot safely be set totally free outside of an enclosed area. Then there is the issue of the fragility of a greyhound's skin and the extreme forces on their joints. Our Peggy the other day sprained her wrist (carpus) presumably in a rabbit hole at the top of a field; I didn't see it happen but she came back badly limping and it took ages to get back to the car. The vet said leave it 2 weeks on short leash with medication before running again, but she still wasn't right, so I gave it another 2 weeks and am gradually building her back up again with short runs and long walks. She can do zoomies around the back garden but can't get up to 30mph out there.

How I let the right dog, in a place that's safe from cars and unfenced woods, have a free run for the first time is to train recall to a special treat and squeaky toy only used for that with myself and another person. The idea is that you walk the dog as usual first so it gets both warmed up(important if you don't want muscle strain) and just a little tired, then the dog gets an opportunity to run from person to person. Usually they overshoot and circle back. All I say is don't do it if you feel unhappy about it and don't beat yourself up over it when you see other people's greyhounds running free. The key thing to be pleased with yourself over is that you have given a retired greyhound a home and are determined to keep it safe and happy.