Transitioning Between Flavors, Same Brand

Guest rarmstrong

Guest rarmstrong

Quick question-

Is it necessary to transition a dog between flavors of the same dog food? Willis is on the lamb and rice grain free Taste of the Wild. I think he might do better on the salmon recipe though (still Taste of the Wild, grain free)

Any time you change foods, whether flavor or brand, it's a good idea to do it gradually if you aren't sure how it will affect the "output." Going between flavors is no different than changing brands - the ingredients are completely different!

Some dogs can handle switching without any problem, some need to be taken slowly, and I think it's better to be on the safe side. (Our Monty is on TOTW Pacific Stream and he's doing great on it, by the way! Hope your boy does as well.)

Guest AimeeBee

I would do it gradually just to be safe. George is mostly transitioned over to the TOTW salmon flavor from the bison formula and he is doing really well (only mostly transitioned because I'm trying to use up the last of the old bag...not because of any issues).

If the dog is doing well on the current dogfood, there is no reason to change food. :)

Transition however you choose. Some people say do it cold-turkey, some say mix new with old for a few days. :) Poop happens either way. ;)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We are TOTW Pacific Stream fans here :)

One of my iggies eats the High Prairie. He wasn't doing awesome on the Pacific Stream so I just switched him over.

Honestly I don't think just plain switching will be a problem, but, if you still have some of the other flavor and you buy Pacific Stream, it also won't hurt to just mix the old one in just until you finish it off :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Houston1219

My guy is super sensitive but nutro limited ingredient venison formula did the trick. It has been magic. We also tried the fish formula after the vet recommended it and magic as well. Only these two flavors! We alternate between the two just to keep things interesting for him. YMMV but if you can find two varieties he does well on went not go for both? I also mix the two and he loves it even more. Best of luck!

Guest rarmstrong

If the dog is doing well on the current dogfood, there is no reason to change food. :)

Transition however you choose. Some people say do it cold-turkey, some say mix new with old for a few days. :) Poop happens either way. ;)

He is doing pretty well on it, but I think his poo could be better (Never thought those words would come out of my mouth). Also, I was hoping the salmon would help out his coat.

Quick question-

Is it necessary to transition a dog between flavors of the same dog food? Willis is on the lamb and rice grain free Taste of the Wild. I think he might do better on the salmon recipe though (still Taste of the Wild, grain free)

WIthin the same brand i never thought there needed to be a transition. The formula is usually the same other than the protein. Unless your pup has a sensitivity to a specific protein, i'm always of the thought that different proteins are best. I wouldn't want to eat the same thing daily. Mix it, since you have some of the other left. I feed raw, started 7 yrs ago because my German Shepherd can't digest kibble. Started My Greyhound on Acana kibble when i adopted him but switched him to raw too after the 1st month. They get different proteins on a regular basis. I can't feed chicken because my German Shepherd has issues with it. TOW is a good food, not sure where they source the salmon, hopefully it is wild caught. I'll have to check it out.

I just tried switching foods. Same brand, different protein. Didn't work so well. Apparently Sailor doesn't do well with turkey. I was doing it slowly. Even a handful added to his salmon caused issues. Had we tried going cold turkey, it would have been a disaster.

Edited by Sambuca

Guest rarmstrong

I just tried switching foods. Same brand, different protein. Didn't work so well. Apparently Sailor doesn't do well with turkey. I was doing it slowly. Even a handful added to his salmon caused issues. Had we tried going cold turkey, it would have been a disaster.

Oh no!

I had run out of the lamb and rice TOTW. After seeing the original response, I ended up buying a 5lb bag of the lamb and then a 15lb bag of the salmon. He is doing pretty well with the transition. Haven't noticed any intolerance and his poo is looking better! Maybe he needed to be on salmon. I wanted to try the lamb because that's what his adoption agency suggested.

Guest Nitemare

I feed Fromm's. I was advised that switching between flavors with their food would be no problem and I have done it for about 6 years. All four of mine do perfect with it and I find that when they get that first bowl of a new flavor, they are licking the bowl clean.

Depends on the dog.

I'd personally do it half-and half for a few days, then done -if you have concerns, but no history of issues.

In my house - we switch cold-turkey now - but I know I have a dog with a rot-gut. I rotate my grey's food between 3 trusted ones, every bag. No mixing, no transition.

If you've had food issues, you may have to transition more slowly.