Does This Look Like Ringworm?

Guest KayGreat

Guest KayGreat

Our 4 year old male has a small red spot on his haunch about the size of a pencil eraser where it's bald and red. Been there about a week, doesn't appear to bother him at all.

Does it look like ringworm or mange or something else? Of course we'll have the vet check it out, but ideas would be welcome - thanks!

dogbutt1_zps04f95f7a.jpg

dogbutt2_zps4fe552bd.jpg

the other side's more handsome :)

dogface_zps9638d8a6.jpg

Edited by KayGreat

Raised or flat?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Houston1219

If it is ringworm or if you deal with it in the future, be careful you don't share it with your pooch! Long ago i worked at a pet store and a litter of kittens came in with ring worm. Two of my coworkers got it, and one passed it to her dog that slept in her bed at night. We had no benefits whatsoever but the boss bought the local drug store out of lotrimin and passed it out amongst the staff lol and he had the stores vet treat my coworkers dog. Quite the learning experience for all!

It's fairly impossible to diagnose ringworm from a picture :lol

Ringworm tends to be bald spots (not necessarily round) with redness and perhaps crusting at the margins, and they tend to spread and a get larger over time. There may also be broken hairs at the margins, and as they spread, you may see hair regrowing in the centre.

However, Sid had very similar symptoms with small bald spots in various places over his back and flanks and I suspected ringworm. Vet took a look and said 'that DOES look like ringworm' and took scrapings and hair samples from various sites and sent them off for mycology and bacterial reports and ... nope. Nothing showed up at all. Took him back after a while to a different vet who said it would be unlikely, and that he'd never yet seen a confirmed case of ringworm in a greyhound, but checked him all over again, and ... nope, nothing.

He still occasionally gets the odd bald spot about the size of your dog's, but they come and go. Jeffie has shown no sign, nor have the humans in this house and the conclusion is that they are idiopathic. :dunno

Skin is a difficult thing when it comes to disorders. I'd just wait and see if it heals over and doesn't return, or if it gets bigger, more inflamed, weepy or anything else unusual. If it changes, perhaps get the vet to take a look. If it clears up, forget it!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest KayGreat

Thank you all for the advice - this forum is great!! We're new greyhound owners and we probably worry too much, so it's good to hear from experienced hound people.

We'll keep an eye on it (and ourselves!!) and get it checked out if it gets worse. Thanks!!

Guest DogNewbie

Ringworm (in horses) tends to look like a ring, not a filled in circle. It just looks like a bald spot to me. However, if you are concerned, I would take him to the vet. Ringworm is VERY contagious and humans and other pets can get it too if they touch it. Your pup is very handsome!