Greyhounds Digging Rapidly

Guest Sh3rryann

Guest Sh3rryann

Dear Fellow Grey Owners,

I have two greyhounds Lucy and Otis who thinks it is okay to go dig everywhere outside. They also dig three feet deep holes. I have caught them and told them "no" , but later on they continue. People say oh they are just puppies they will get over it. Otis is 3 years old and we have tried everything. Lucy joining in isn't the solution. Also in our backyard we have no grass. I am afraid that when they run they might break a leg falling into one of the holes. All suggestions will be welcome. Thank You!

Edited by Sh3rryann

sakrete--building-material.jpg

:bgeorge - Sorry. Had to do it.

Most of us have given up on lawns long ago, but you are right about them getting hurt by the holes. It is necessary to fill them back in as much as possible if they are a hazard. if it's a few big holes that you can live with, you might try filling them with sand and see if they will only dig in those spots. Then it's easy to fill the sand back in.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Sh3rryann

sakrete--building-material.jpg

:bgeorge - Sorry. Had to do it.

Most of us have given up on lawns long ago, but you are right about them getting hurt by the holes. It is necessary to fill them back in as much as possible if they are a hazard. if it's a few big holes that you can live with, you might try filling them with sand and see if they will only dig in those spots. Then it's easy to fill the sand back in.

Thank we will have to try that.

Riley is 10 ... he started digging when he was 6. He digs in the same 2 places in my yard, and I've refilled the holes with AT LEAST 50 bags of dirt (each 40#). He thinks I fill them so he can re-dig.

I've tried adding stones, flagstones, and other 'stuff' to deter him ... nope.

Must say that it was the one good thing about this winter's snowfall -- I put a big mound of snow on top of 'the hole' so that they ran around it. I usually go and stand in one of the holes at night, because its right in Baby's running path when she wants to do zoomies (and NO, I will not ask my neighbors to take pictures. Its already bad enough that I'm standing in a mini-grave in the middle of the night).

Heavy sigh. I like having the isolated holes, but hate the risk it brings.

And I thought it was bad enough that Jeffie mows our lawn with his teeth and they both burn 'pee holes' into it and cut corners to make mud tracks in the grass. :lol Good heavens - three feet deep holes?

I second the suggestion that you fill one of them with sand and keep that as a dig spot. People have suggested this in the past with some success - one idea is to half bury durable toys in the sand to teach them that they can dig there, then later you can completely bury suitable objects for them to dig up. That way, if you can get them to confine their efforts to one spot, your yard will be safer for them, and all you'll have to do is sweep the sand back in, occasionally. I've never had to try this, but good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We built a sandbox for them to dig in, right where they were digging. Luckily it was a place that was a bit out of the way.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Choose a spot in your yard where it would be OK to have a hole and redirect them there when they start digging. Fill in the other holes. Put some sand in the new place to make it more attractive.

The person who told me greyhounds weren't diggers was totally and completely WRONG!

I tried to find a picture of our "construction project" but couldn't find it in the Bucket. I'll have to take one to show you. It's over three feet deep in some places and spreads across 8 square feet. It started as a mole hole about 7 years ago.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We built a sandbox for them to dig in, right where they were digging. Luckily it was a place that was a bit out of the way.

LOVE this idea, we hope to do the same this year.

I read an article in CG magazine that suggested burying some outdoor-safe toys in the sandbox to encourage digging and play in the box. I think it sounds like a great potential solution.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Bring them inside?

Digging is great fun for dogs. I'd start by either going outside with them so you can stop them immediately (after filling in the holes). If you're just letting them out and leaving them to their own devices, you're not going to have ANY luck curbing what is a totally natural behavior.

The acceptable digging area is a great idea.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My Diana would periodically go through a digging phase when she was younger. She certainly never made a 3" hole! I'd suggest not leaving the dogs unsupervised - and when you see them digging - redirect them by playing with a squeaky toy with them.

Guest FinnsMama

I have had Greyhondes for over 15 years and several have done the same thing. When I fill them in, I put an old rug a few inches below the ground level and fill them in the rest of the way. The grass grows over the spot since there is still enough dirt but they can only dig as deep as the rug next time.

It does not solve the problem, but the holes are shallower since they reach the rug and can not get any further. I also use solar lights to show where the remaining holes are. They are easy to move around as necessary. None of my greys have injured themselves yet, at least not because of the holes.

Guest k9soul

Rudy started digging late last fall (he's 6 years old) and he always seemed to go back to the same hole and dig. I covered the hole closer to winter because it had gotten deep and I worried about him injuring himself, especially once snow covered it and "camouflaged" it. Now that things have finally thawed out, he's been digging again at various spots and really wreaking havoc on the yard. I don't really care too much about the yard out back, but I do worry about injury. So I'm kind of in a similar situation. It's a small yard and I'm a bit limited in what I can do but he does seem to stick to one spot when I don't stop him, so a designated spot with sand seems like a good possibility.