Bandaging/helping Tail Injuries To Heal

I've heard of the curler trick. Any other ideas for leaving a healing tail wound exposed so it can get some air without using a muzzle/poop guard? Need an idea for something very light and small to just protect the end of the tail from being whacked or worked on through a muzzle.

Otherwise, has anyone used Manuka honey for a tail wound? I've read a lot of good things about its healing properties on here, but haven't used it personally and don't recall anyone using it for a tail. Would a locally sourced raw honey work, or does it have to be Manuka honey?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, see the photo in this post. This method has the advantage of protecting the tail while allowing it to remain unbandaged.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Jen, see the photo in this post. This method has the advantage of protecting the tail while allowing it to remain unbandaged.

Thanks. I was hoping for something that would go unnoticed. Unlike a water bottle flapping around and hitting things. :lol;) The wound is at the end of the tail. The curler would work fine, I just don't have one, or time to get one anytime soon.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Elastikon and the tube from a syringe (with the needle holding end cut off). I don't think there's any way to make something on the end of a tail unobtrusive enough not to be noticed!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I get shipping tubes from Young Living oils, which are the perfect size for tail injuries. Since I'm betting you don't have any of those lying around, you could use a folded/taped toilet paper roll insert.

And Manuka honey is wonderful on tail wounds ... local bee honey is not a good substitute though.

good luck with your injury ... keep it protected long after it seems healed, or else you're going to need several bottles of hydrogen peroxide to deal with the crime scene caused by the inevitable happy tail.

Aaarrrgh. I just composed a response and it got blown out. So this will be an abridged version. My (angel) Indy had a half-tail amputation several years ago. Per a GT recommendation, I used Glad Press'n Seal to wrap and protect his bandages, keep dry, etc. Worked like a charm. What a fabulous product. :yay So perhaps you might consider using a light-weight, non-stick gauze and Press'n Seal (as necessary).

Another recommendation per my fabulous pet sitter -- Young Living Animal Scents Ointment -- an essential oils salve for wounds, cuts, abrasions, etc. I have used it for many years. All good. http://www.youngliving.com/natural-pet-care/Animal-Scents-Ointment

Oh, also I have used Manuka Honey for other healing (doggy ulcer) -- but I cannot imagine there is a downside.

Best wishes to you and your patient. :kiss2

P.S. Well, I must have replied the same time as juliemac -- Young Living products are the bomb! Go natural when you can -- and if you feel comfortable doing so ... :)

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I'm reasonably certain that "unobtrusive" and "happy tail" don't fit in the same sentence. The problem is that anything small can be reached by a muzzled dog, and it's pretty much impossible to pad the tail for protection, leave the tail open to the air, and keep the whole thing small and unnoticeable. Methods like the curler or the Press 'n Seal don't leave the wound exposed to the air. The toilet paper (or paper towel) tube can be fastened higher up the tail to protect the wound while leaving it open (like the water bottle does), but they're hardly unobtrusive. A piece of foam pipe insulation will do the same thing, but that's going to be harder to acquire than a curler. The water bottle works reasonably well because it's so lightweight that the dog is less likely to pay attention to it.

Some dogs will tolerate having the tail protection tied loosely to a back leg: a loose loop on the dog's leg, and the other end of the tie (often, gauze bandage) fastened firmly to the protection on the dog's tail. You leave enough slack that the dog can wag its tail, but not so much that the protective tube is being smacked into walls. But I wouldn't trust this when the dog can't be supervised. What works when you're home and able to distract the dog is not what's going to work when the dog gets bored and you're not there as a distraction.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I used manuka honey on a happy tail injury, and used foam pipe insulation and curlers. I saw improvement every day. The wound looked great at the six week mark, but the tissue started to die a few days later. This was with bandage changes and antibiotics. Sometimes, nothing can save it. Gigi now has a cute stubby tail to match her brother's stubby tail. He came to me like that, so I only had to go through the crime scene clean ups with one dog. Good luck!

I've used the plumbers pipe insulation with success.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Didn't you tell me to use a toilet paper tube with medical tape to hold it on? Maybe that was Kopal? Anyway, I used it on Molokai back in the day and it worked.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Didn't you tell me to use a toilet paper tube with medical tape to hold it on? Maybe that was Kopal? Anyway, I used it on Molokai back in the day and it worked.

Yeah, this tail is waaaaay too skinny for that. :lol

Turns out I think I'm good - things look much much better today, but thanks for the suggestions everyone. Filed away just in case there's a next time.

1/4 inch pipe insulation from your local home depot. Elasticon tape to keep in on. Tape to the tail, then to the insulation. If you tape directly to the tail, it will slip off. Check every few days to see how the healing is going. We kept Idol like this for 6 weeks and she was totally healed. She never had a reoccurance of happy tail and we had three dogs in a travel trailer. Talk about tight spaces. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 3 weeks later...