Laser Therapy For Arthritis

Has anyone tried it and has it been effective?

Bu has some arthritis pain that acts up now and then. It's pretty minor and I'd like to keep it that way, so I discussed it with the vet today. She wants to start doing regular laser therapy on his achy joints. Namely his right elbow, right shoulder, and right hip. I've never heard of any negative side effects, so I'm happy to do this over medicating him.

Yes, do give it a try, but I'm not sure how effective it will be on his own. Doc gets cold laser therapy on his achey old joints (primarily right hip and left shoulder), but it's at the end of his fortnightly home visit by a veterinary physiotherapist. She massages and manipulates him first, for half an hour or so, and you can tell that's helping him and that he enjoys it . Then at the end she uses her portable laser machine to give him a few quick zaps - he doesn't react to that at all, unless the metal feels cold! So I tend to think 'well it is harmless, may help, who knows?' From what the physio tells me cold laser therapy is especially good for helping to heal soft tissue injuries. I am less confident that it does much for chronic conditions...

Edited by DocsDoctor

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Pudge had the cold laser treatment. She had been limping after jumping down off out picnic table. Vet required xrays first and they showed a bone spur at her shoulder. Pudge is normally scared of new things but she loved the laser therapy. Plus she got to wear cool goggles. :P

22542034-a932-4145-bdbf-7bc370dffc02_zps

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

As I said, his arthritis is minor at this point. He only limps occasionally. I think she said it's warm, but I'll read more into it. We're going twice a week for a couple weeks, then once a week for a while, then every other week, then she's hoping to get it down to once a month. I think that will end up being a long term thing. I'm ok with that if it helps him.

Please look into I-therm, too. www.kldmedical.net If your Vet practices Holistic medicine, perhaps she will already know about this machine. It works miracles for anything painful/inflammatory.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

It helped some of my girls a lot. Especially Cal, who was occasionally incapacitated--it got her back on her feet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Please look into I-therm, too. www.kldmedical.net If your Vet practices Holistic medicine, perhaps she will already know about this machine. It works miracles for anything painful/inflammatory.

I'll look into it, but I've had some horrific experiences with holistic medicine and I'm not a believer.

Cold laser therapy helped one of my hounds with a bad wrist injury. He is now completely free of any lameness. Not sure how your vet operates but I purchased a package of 6 treatments, and had to go every 4 days. Then I did another package-this time it was maintenance, we went every two to three weeks. I think it can help with some cases.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You need to be sure to have x-rays done to rule out osteo before you do any laser or acupuncture treatment. If its osteo the laser and acupuncture will cause the cancer to accelerate its growth.

I would also check into acupuncture. When my girl had osteo, she would get accu for pain management and the days of the treatment she felt so much better, but it did wear off after a few days.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My girl had the same thing. From the first day we adopted her she never used her right rear leg when she would go down stairs. She would limp off and on with that leg if she was bumped. We had xrays when she was 8 and 10 and nothing noted. A few months after her 11th b-day she started limping and we took x-rays. They said arthritis, but lets check a few weeks later to be sure. Well a few weeks later, we were sure it was osteo. Not saying that is your position, but I would strongly suggest x-rays to be sure.