Victor Dog Food

I know another new thread about dog food.......

I saw this the other day and it looks like a good affordable food. Has anyone on here tried it before? I'm particularly interested in their Yukon River formula.

Edited by BellaBean

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Haven't tried it but it is enthusiastically recommended on Dog Food Advisor: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/victor-grain-free/

Not sure what it costs...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I remember in a previous thread Whitewave was using it for some of her dogs. I looked it up and was impressed by the ingredients and price, but couldn't find it locally. I would have tried it otherwise.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Might look into this too - also 5 stars. Cost is $1.75 per pound vs. your Victor price of $1.50 but....*Pssst* you can buy it at some supermarkets which is an added bonus. Here both Kroger and Tom Thumb (Safeway) carry it. I like it and it cracks me up that after so many people trash "supermarket foods" by golly, here's a good one.
http://nutrisca.dogswell.com/

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

I remember in a previous thread Whitewave was using it for some of her dogs. I looked it up and was impressed by the ingredients and price, but couldn't find it locally. I would have tried it otherwise.

I was using it. But price went up, shipping went up (used to be free) so I switched. I liked it well enough. I preferred their grain inclusive line over grain free though. Didn't have good results with any of their grain free foods.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update on this. I started my gang on the Yukon River 1 1/2 weeks ago. I did a quick transition with them over 4 days because they are used to their food being switched up and I've never had a problem doing a quick switch.

After this short time all of their poos have been AMAZING and they have NO gas!!!!! Badger and Gus have always had horrible gas no matter what I did. I am beyond excited about this! :balloonparty

It's the little things in life :)

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

Guest saltwaterron

i have been feeding riley victor dog food for about 6/8 months. she loves it and it definitely is a lot more affordable than the blue we were feeding her

• 5 months later...

Thought I would give an update on this. I started my gang on the Yukon River 1 1/2 weeks ago. I did a quick transition with them over 4 days because they are used to their food being switched up and I've never had a problem doing a quick switch.

After this short time all of their poos have been AMAZING and they have NO gas!!!!! Badger and Gus have always had horrible gas no matter what I did. I am beyond excited about this! :balloonparty

It's the little things in life :)

Are you still feeding it? I was at a dog event on Saturday and got some samples. Cher loved it, but the nearest dealer is 30 to 45 minutes away. Trying to decide if it's worth it. Currently buying TOTW online.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest Johberry

I'm also curious about the Yukon River formula. Currently feeding Fromm Grain Free Salmon, but the Victor ingredients and price look more promising. Thanks in advance.

I'm still feeding it and all are still doing great! No gas, solid poos, and shiny coats. The only add-ins I do are coconut oil and Olewo carrots once a day. The price is great for the quality. The closest place to me is about 30 minutes away too, but what I do is buy a months supply each time I go to make it worth it.

amr236.jpg

Guest Johberry

Thanks for the votes of confidence. The DB and I adopted a boy who came just off the track so you can imagine the condition of his coat and skin. He seems to be doing okay on Fromm Grain Free Salmon (no gas and formed but soft poops), but am impressed by Victor's Yukon River ingredients. The nearest store for me isn't the most convenient either but the price seems worth the trouble. So, again, thank you for the posts. I had never heard of the company till reading about it here on GT. :)

I'm still feeding it and all are still doing great! No gas, solid poos, and shiny coats. The only add-ins I do are coconut oil and Olewo carrots once a day. The price is great for the quality. The closest place to me is about 30 minutes away too, but what I do is buy a months supply each time I go to make it worth it.

Can you tell me what you pay, and what size bag? I'm sure it varies by location, but I am curious.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest Johberry

Might look into this too - also 5 stars. Cost is $1.75 per pound vs. your Victor price of $1.50 but....*Pssst* you can buy it at some supermarkets which is an added bonus. Here both Kroger and Tom Thumb (Safeway) carry it. I like it and it cracks me up that after so many people trash "supermarket foods" by golly, here's a good one.

http://nutrisca.dogswell.com/

Hey, thanks for the tip! Ingredients for Livefree Salmon, which is grain free, look pretty good as well. The higher protein content means getting to feed the dog less. Also, the convenience factor is nice as my local dog food boutique carries the brand. I suppose I'll have to decide between the two (Victor and Dogswell LiveFree) when the bag of Fromm runs out.

Guest WhiteWave

Hey, thanks for the tip! Ingredients for Livefree Salmon, which is grain free, look pretty good as well. The higher protein content means getting to feed the dog less. Also, the convenience factor is nice as my local dog food boutique carries the brand. I suppose I'll have to decide between the two (Victor and Dogswell LiveFree) when the bag of Fromm runs out.

I got 10 4lb bags of LiveFree on petflow trials really cheap. My dogs did awesome on it, but when I went to see what a big bag cost, it was $75 for 25lbs so out of my budget. But I have fed Victor too. For the money it is a good choice and I use it in my rotation. I use the grain inclusive formulas, but have fed the grain free as well. Have one allergy dog that eats nothing but Victor Ocean Blend as that is the only food she doesn't itch herself raw on it. Tried about everything over the past 5 yrs, Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Canidae, Natures Variety, Nutrisource, Natural Balance, etc. even tried to go simple like Pro Plan Sensitive, but she itched raw on all of them. Even tried raw and home cooked. But on Victor Ocean Blend, Her coat has never looked better. Soft, shiny, no bare spots. Really amazing.

Guest Johberry

I got 10 4lb bags of LiveFree on petflow trials really cheap. My dogs did awesome on it, but when I went to see what a big bag cost, it was $75 for 25lbs so out of my budget. But I have fed Victor too. For the money it is a good choice and I use it in my rotation. I use the grain inclusive formulas, but have fed the grain free as well. Have one allergy dog that eats nothing but Victor Ocean Blend as that is the only food she doesn't itch herself raw on it. Tried about everything over the past 5 yrs, Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Canidae, Natures Variety, Nutrisource, Natural Balance, etc. even tried to go simple like Pro Plan Sensitive, but she itched raw on all of them. Even tried raw and home cooked. But on Victor Ocean Blend, Her coat has never looked better. Soft, shiny, no bare spots. Really amazing.

Thanks, Whitewave! I'm curious if you saw a difference between the LiveFree and the Nutrisca formulas, especially for your allergic dog? The Salmon and Chickpea Nutrisca looks appealing as well. I'm sure my boy will do fine on grain-inclusive but wanted to try grain-free formulas first. I ordered a small bag of Farmina N&D Grain Free Wild Herring and will try when the Fromm bag is used up. The only problem with the Farmina is that there is no local distributor for me and I'd have to order online and the large bag is almost $80 (I have Amazon Prime so shipping is free but still)!! I'll look into the Victor Ocean Blend even though it has some grains. I'm sure my hound will do okay on it considering your allergic girl thrives on it. When he arrived at our home 2 weeks ago, he was itchy and red and I suspected it was the food his foster fam was feeding him (Chicken with grains). When I switched him over to Fromm Salmon Tunalini, which is grain-free, the redness and itching stopped almost immediately. I'd be interested to hear about other brands/formulas you've tried that works for her. Thanks! :) (P.S. To OP, sorry for hi-jacking your thread!)

Guest WhiteWave

I got a couple bags of the Nutrisca too during the sale. My senior hound is eating it but dropping weight on it even though I increased his amount and he is normally the easiest keeper of the 3 Greyhounds. My hounds are active and I find they just do better on grain inclusive foods. Eat less and keep weight on better. He is almost done and will go back to Pro Plan. All 3 of my Greyhounds eat primarily Pro Plan Performance or Victor Hi Pro.

Circe the allergy dog is a Rat Terrier and has never done well on any food with a lot peas so I did not feed her either food (Nutrisca or Live Free). My Dogo who has allergies did very well on the LiveFree, but I ended buying Horizon Legacy Fish since I think it had a better ingredient panel and didn't use any pea protein and was cheaper than LiveFree. He has been on it a week and so far he has not broken out yet. He seems to have an issue with potato that is in so many grain free foods. He gets very yeasty.

I have fed Farmina but used the ancestral grain cod and it was ok. Didn't live up to my expectations of how they made the food sound and all the wait to get it the USA. Honestly my Greyhounds look and act better on Pro Plan than most high end foods. But I will say they do have great customer service and very nice to chat with.

I'm a newbie... but has anyone tried Bil-Jac? I don't have a Grey yet. I am doing research. My liittle guy does well on Bil-Jac. He is a mix with long legs and rose ears. Non barker and a great cuddler. Just wondering....and Hello fom Southern California!

I've only tried Bil-Jac with one hound (an extremely picky one who will go so long between meals if he doesn't like a food that he'll literally make himself sick and frustrate his vets and me). The dog in question has never turned it down and he's in great coat and condition.

I've only tried Bil-Jac with one hound (an extremely picky one who will go so long between meals if he doesn't like a food that he'll literally make himself sick and frustrate his vets and me). The dog in question has never turned it down and he's in great coat and condition.

Thank you for your reply.

FYI- you can buy Victor thru Amazon, and it is eligible for Prime :ding

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

FYI- you can buy Victor thru Amazon, and it is eligible for Prime :ding

You can, but I have found that it is cheaper if you can find a store that sells it. Amazon has it for around $58 w/ free shipping, but the vets office where I buy it sells it for $45.

amr236.jpg