Peanut Butter And Firmer Poo

With all the chat about how to firm up dogs' poo, and lots of good recommendations such as pumpkin, fortiflora, etc., has there ever been a recommendation of using peanut butter?

I ask because a couple of weeks ago Annie was on a pain med for 10 days that had to be taken with food. I put the pill in a dollop of peanut butter and put it in with her supper kibble. Within a couple of days, her poo, which is always formed but very soft, firmed up just enough to make it a clean and easy pick up. I thought it was the pain med but not being sure, when the round of medicine was over, I continued mixing peanut butter in with her supper kibble, and her poo continued to be a clean and easy pick up.

I give her a little less than a tablespoon of peanut butter once a day. Has anybody else used this for the reason of firming up poo or is Annie's firmer poo just a nice coincidence?

Hmm, if my husband gives Mazy more than one peanut butter stuffed Kong a day she gets very gooey poo.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Nice coincidence is my vote. With the higher fat content, it should be the opposite, as happened with Mazy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I still wonder because the amount of PB Annie's getting is small; maybe a tablespoon. I *wish* she'd use a Kong for something. She ignores it completely, no matter what I've put in it.

An interesting aside: I did some Googling and came up with the fact that smooth peanut butter can aide humans in having firmer stools. (I have no idea the legitimacy of the below sites.)

"...eating many types of food not rich in fiber will also harden your stools, including as follows: White bread, rice, lean meats, iron supplements, boiled eggs, tapioca, smooth peanut butter, black tea, potatoes."

The above was taken from: http://www.healthqas.org/health-condition/what-can-cause-your-stool-hardener/

Also regarding humans:

"Eat foods that make stool bulkier. Foods that contain soluble, or digestible, fiber slow the emptying of the bowels. Examples are bananas, rice, tapioca, bread, potatoes, applesauce, cheese, smooth peanut butter, yogurt, pasta, and oatmeal."

The above was taken from: http://www.mamashealth.com/stomach/feconst.asp

If it works - go with it! Every body is different, so while there are "general" things that work for "most"- if you find something that works for your dog's body - just consider yourself lucky and go with it. Don't change brands of PB, or the results may change.