Handsome Roman nosed houndie.:wub:

Lori and Cecil :heart

23209568683_ce0807bea6_z_d.jpg

Well now I'm crying. :blush

Thanks for posting Tricia. Lori, I am on Instragram though I don't actively use it or post photos anymore. I will follow you. I'm Choirgirl21 on there, I think. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecil is so stunningly handsome! And those soulful eyes would melt any heart. Surely Cecil has been able to convince you to give him anything he wants, Lori!

I was going to say I cannot imagine what you are going through, but the truth is that I can, and have as recently as last weekend before we were able to get in front of Crouton's pain. We may be going into that period where the Zoledronate is helping her feel a little better, judging by her treat-seeking behavior. Today she is even more willing to get up and walk into the kitchen to see what I might be doing with food. (Yes, I admit that the houndies are occasionally are given a bite or two of human goodies...) She is also having less trouble finding a good position on the various beds, and repositions more readily instead of just accepting where she landed. Incremental improvements, true, but since the reason for the Zoledronate was to help her to feel better with the time we have left, I am hoping we are seeing it work.

We know you are grieving for Cecil already, and my heart breaks for you and him. I look forward to the time that you will be able to share with us your history with him: how you chose each other, how long you have been together, funny times, touching times, favorite times. I would be honored to always help you remember Cecil. Hugs.

Lori, thanking of you and Cecil today. I hope you had a restful night. :grouphug

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well I wish we had a positive update, but I don't. Yesterday Zuri was even better than the previous day and when we got up for our evening potty walk he managed to get some laps in with his toy before I could slow him down. I was hoping it was the Zoledronate doing it's job, in which case he wouldn't be worse off today, but unfortunately he is. He's the most painful I've seen him since this started. I'll increase the frequency of his meds today and the hemp supplement should arrive today or tomorrow, but unless there's some miracle turnaround in the next few days I will be saying goodbye. I can't comprehend that we might actually be at this point. :cry1

Oh no, Jen. Miracle turn-arounds do happen when it comes to the pain with this disease, I've seen it. Unfortunately it doesn't last and I'm not sure how many times I can put Cecil through it before we say no more. I'd like to say you'll know the right thing to do, but we are less than 2 hours from our appointment today and I'm still unsure. Praying that Zuri just needs a little rest time and those meds get ahead of the pain soon.

Thank you so much Lori. You have so much on your mind today, I appreciate the good thoughts.

I just called the in home euthanasia vet I found a little while back so I could talk with her and know what her availability is like. The one I used for Neyla was okay, but I felt a little rushed so I wanted to see if I could find someone else. This woman was very soft spoken and comforting so I think she will be a good option if it comes to that.

What I wouldn't give to not have stairs right now. It makes things so much more difficult. I hope to move soon and we will never have stairs again, or at least not have the option of first floor living and yard access. Going through this with 2 dogs has finalized that.

Lori, continuing to keep you in my thoughts today.

Oh no, Jen. Miracle turn-arounds do happen when it comes to the pain with this disease, I've seen it. Unfortunately it doesn't last and I'm not sure how many times I can put Cecil through it before we say no more. I'd like to say you'll know the right thing to do, but we are less than 2 hours from our appointment today and I'm still unsure. Praying that Zuri just needs a little rest time and those meds get ahead of the pain soon.

Jen, I cannot say it any better than Lori. Sending you strength for Zuri, and wisdom for you. This is just the most difficult time for you both.

Everything is status quo with Crouton, but something that happened to us this morning really made me pause. Crouton will urinate on-leash, but doesn't like to pooh that way. So, once or twice a day, I allow her off-leash in the backyard. I usually let the two boys out back first, since there are steps down the deck to the yard. Then Crouton and I go down the front ramp, walk around the house, and go through the gate to join them. I am always careful to ensure they are not excited about something, which is always accompanied by barking. This morning, just as I was about to let her go through the gate and take off her leash, the boys rushed to the far fence and started going crazy. There on the other side of the fence was the standard poodle from next door, obviously an escapee from their backyard. Thankfully, I had not only the leash, but also had a close hold on Crouton's martingale collar, or she would have run down the hill and to the fence to join the ruckus. She let out several frustrated whines at me, and really just couldn't understand why I didn't let her go. I was very grateful that the poodle's person was still home, and got her back into their house within just a few minutes. Everything became calm and quiet, I was able to let Crouton off-lease, she did her pottying, and we went back inside.

I mention this because of what followed. She accepted her treats as usual, then went to her bed. When she lowered herself, I could tell that she was in pain, even with her meds fully active. So, I realize we were probably just seconds from disaster when we went to do one of the most basic of things. What would I have done with my beautiful 70 lb girl if she had been off-leash and was injured in the yard, and me here by myself? We are about two weeks away from our second Zoledronate treatment, which I do think has really begun to help. But, I also realize I must look through her eyes first, and I am going to try to do that.

:grouphug

Unfortunately, planning for the worst eventuality does need to happen. Some people have talked with their vet about having a large dose of valium at home (injection) to administer in the event of a break or collapse. I spoke with our neighbors to see if they would be able to be on call if I was home alone. We also bought a canine transporting device that I could probably use by myself in an emergency, since there's no way I could lift and carry a greyhound by myself.

This is the one we got though it's not available anymore:

https://smile.amazon.com/Animal-Stretcher-Mobile-Trolley-Capacity/dp/B005N8SEKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471277877&sr=8-2&keywords=canine+stretcher

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree. I also wouldn't be comfortable myself having my dogs off leash in an area where they could run. That was the one thing I decided with Neyla and Zuri, along with not jumping off the couch since their tumors were in front legs. Running around playing with toys in the house, taking long walks provided they could tolerate them, yes, but no opportunities for full on running off leash. There could still be a fracture just from the dog taking a step depending on how bad the damage is and the particular dog, but that was my comfort level. But yes, keeping strong meds on hand and/or having a vet who will come to you pretty immediately are good ideas.

Lori, thinking of you and Cecil right now. Hoping you're in the midst of getting some good or promising news, but if not, sending thoughts for a peaceful passing for Cecil. :grouphug

Well, we're back from the vet and so is Cecil. He had a pretty good night and morning plus a good ride in the minivan to the Vet's office. Only one yelp this morning when he got up to transfer from his bed to our bed (we took the mattress off the platform bed and it's now on the floor for easy access) and DH is sleeping in the guest room.

Our Vet said that x-rays probably wouldn't help much in terms of telling if there was a small fracture because once they have an osteo tumor the bone is forever altered, making diagnostics via Xray difficult, unless is was a large fracture. He said he would not be weight-bearing at all if it was a large fracture. He said it's swollen and he thinks trauma from the fall (which BTW, was in the house, Cecil has not been off-leash outside since his diagnosis in November last year). He flat-out said that he didn't look like a dog who was ready to be euthanized (but he did add that he's not living in our house with him and not hearing him screaming when he gets up/down). And then Cecil proceeded to lie down without a peep. We had the zoledronate planned today anyway, so we decided to do the treatment and we're also adding in Tylenol w/codeine to see if we can get in front of the pain. I added an additional 50mg of Rimadyl (150mg total per day) yesterday and our Vet was OK with keeping that as well, but no more. Also OK, with the 4 Gaba 3x and the 3 Tramadol 4x.

We're going to give this another week or so, but if we don't see more improvement, I won't let him go on like this. I had already called mobile vet who will come out to the house when we're ready to say goodbye, but they haven't gotten back yet. There's only one in the area and she does clinic 3 days and mobile 2 days. I'd so much rather do that than the vet's office. I was lying with him in bed this morning and was really upset about the thought of letting him go at the office. Maybe this will allow us to plan better. He's passed out and comfortable now after having a full regular breakfast, a few chicken thighs, and a big cup of ice cream (we don't normally feed him all those things!). His appetite is forever insatiable and his spirit is good (as demonstrated by the fall on Saturday after bolting through the house); I just hope we can get his body to cooperate. I ordered him a Help'em Up Harness over the weekend and had it rushed so it should be here tomorrow. I researched and saw it and then came on GT to see if anyone was using it, so Jen, thanks again for even MORE good advice!

Thank you all for your support, prayers, and good wishes. I can feel you and it is helping my mental health tremendously.

Jen, hoping Zuri's day is improving and all of us can put off having to schedule that dreaded last vet visit. And Roux, you are right, it's sad we have to take away their opportunity to run and be offleash, but I see the enjoyment Cecil has had over the last almost 9 months even with no running. He tried to run while on-leash a few days ago outside and he could barely walk let alone run. I don't think they have any concept of trying to protect their injuries. Hate to say it, but at this point, danger lurks around every corner for them, inside (as we see with Cecil) and outside. We'll all just do the best we can to keep them safe and comfortable.

Hugs to you both and to anyone else reading this thread and dealing with this horrible disease. So many have come before us, and it breaks my heart there will be so many who come after.

So glad to hear Cecil is doing better today and may have more time! This has really made my day when it has otherwise been pretty crappy. Hopefully with a little more time to recover from the fall and the Zoledronate on board you have a happy bouncy boy back shortly.

Am so relieved you have more time with Cecil, Lori, and hope it will continue to improve each day. I had so been wanting to hear about your vet visit, but was also afraid to find out. And, Jen, really hoping you can send us more positive news about Zuri soon. Sounds like there is consensus that Crouton is just going to have to learn to do all her busines on-leash.

Unfortunately, planning for the worst eventuality does need to happen. Some people have talked with their vet about having a large dose of valium at home (injection) to administer in the event of a break or collapse. I spoke with our neighbors to see if they would be able to be on call if I was home alone. We also bought a canine transporting device that I could probably use by myself in an emergency, since there's no way I could lift and carry a greyhound by myself.

This is the one we got though it's not available anymore:

https://smile.amazon.com/Animal-Stretcher-Mobile-Trolley-Capacity/dp/B005N8SEKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471277877&sr=8-2&keywords=canine+stretcher

Really appreciate your comments, Greysmom. These is absolutely no way I would be able to lift and carry Crouton, either, should something happen. Thanks so much for sending the info about the stretcher, as I am pretty certain I can find one. We will always have xlarge dogs, so this would be a very good thing to have available in any case (always with the hope I would never have to use it). Checking with neighbors is also a good idea, although I really would like to know I could do something by myself if needed. I will also talk to our vet about the valium idea. Would it need to be IV? Thanks again!

Edited by Roux

It's been a really tough day. I almost called the vet back to see if she could come tonight because he was more painful this afternoon after having gone out this morning. But I was able to increase his Tramadol at 2:30 this afternoon and there is noticeable improvement. I am still expecting to have her come tomorrow or Wednesday, but we'll see how things are in the morning. Stairs are still a serious issue. The hemp supplement is to be delivered by 8 pm tomorrow, which I'm expecting will be too late, but again we'll see. I wish I had ordered it sooner. Had always planned on having it on hand just in case, but this happened far more quickly that I expected so I am definitely not prepared in more ways than one.

Anyway, a friend at least came over to help me cook, something I wouldn't have had the energy to do otherwise. And I have a few meals worth of leftovers so that will help me deal. If you have any good thoughts to spare, please send them for a drastic improvement overnight. :hope

I've been sending them Jen, but I will send more. :hope:candle I hope the morning brings improvement.

If I may say this and this is only looking in hindsight because I didn't know Chase had osteo until it was too late, the biggest mistake I made was not keeping him on a leash when I let him out to potty when I noticed how much pain he was in whenever he would come running back in.

As much as we would like to see them run and play like normal healthy dogs, the truth is they aren't. The best we can hope to do is keep them hopefully calm and happy for as long as we can keep them comfortable.

It is late and I doubt anyone will see this until tomorrow. I am thinking of Zuri and Cecil tonight, and hoping you are all having restful nights.

Oddly, Crouton ended up having a bit of a rough day today, too. She was reluctant to go out, had an accident in the house, and there is marked swelling today in her leg where the tumor is. I keep wondering if we will make it to her second Zoledronate treatment on about 8/2, just 28 days after the first one. This is a very cruel disease.

Am so relieved you have more time with Cecil, Lori, and hope it will continue to improve each day. I had so been wanting to hear about your vet visit, but was also afraid to find out. And, Jen, really hoping you can send us more positive news about Zuri soon. Sounds like there is consensus that Crouton is just going to have to learn to do all her busines on-leash.

Really appreciate your comments, Greysmom. These is absolutely no way I would be able to lift and carry Crouton, either, should something happen. Thanks so much for sending the info about the stretcher, as I am pretty certain I can find one. We will always have xlarge dogs, so this would be a very good thing to have available in any case (always with the hope I would never have to use it). Checking with neighbors is also a good idea, although I really would like to know I could do something by myself if needed. I will also talk to our vet about the valium idea. Would it need to be IV? Thanks again!

I've been lurking and I just wanted to point something out--it's not Valium you want to ask for (that needs to be given IV) but, buprenex. Buprenex can be given as a SubQ injection or even just squirt under the tongue.

Sorry for everyone going through this battle--oh how a loathe Osteo.

I've been lurking and I just wanted to point something out--it's not Valium you want to ask for (that needs to be given IV) but, buprenex. Buprenex can be given as a SubQ injection or even just squirt under the tongue.

Sorry for everyone going through this battle--oh how a loathe Osteo.

Thank you so much for the med info. Having something on hand strong, quick-acting, and easy to administer would be so important, but I hope to never have to use it. I will inquire about the buprenex – had never heard of it before.

Oh – I will give a quick Crouton update. It is a little too early in her day to know how she is feeling. I gave meds a couple of hours ago, and she did choose to move to a new bed to be closer to me. We will have breakfast in about an hour, and I will know better then how she is doing.

Hope to hear about Zuri and Cecil later today. :brokenheart