• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping thread and hoping all are doing well.

Thanks for asking! Cecil is doing pretty well still. Still limping but more comfortable and moving much faster and easier. We'll go for bloodwork next week and another zoledronate treatment on the 15th if the labs look OK. July 28th marked 8 months since his diagnosis. You don't see many 4 legged osteo hounds make it this far, so it's clear Cyberknife did what it was supposed to do. Who knows how long this will last, so we try to focus on the present and not get too caught up in anything beyond the next week or two. Still, I can't help but hope the zoledronate is starting to work and we're seeing improvement because of bone healing in that shoulder.

Jen, hows Zuri doing?

So glad Cecil is doing well. :clap

Zuri is not as great as I would like, but doing okay. On Wednesday he seemed a tiny bit more gimpy so I called the oncologist to schedule his Zoledronate. They're not in on Fridays so I scheduled it for this coming Tuesday since I wasn't sure yet whether he was just having an off day or what. Its clear now that it was the Zoledronate wearing off. So in the future we'll just plan to do it every 5 weeks (Tuesday will be 6 weeks).

In the meantime, I found a massage therapist who will come to our house and she did great work on him Tuesday and we went to our regular place today so between that and a slight increase to his meds he's feeling pretty good.

Now if we could just get this freaking toe wound to heal! Wasn't healing as quickly as I wanted so scheduled a vet visit and when we woke up that day his foot was really inflamed and swollen. So he's on ABs and we're cold lasering more regularly and it's looking a bit better.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to that being healed and him being back to his super bouncy self after his treatment Tuesday.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So happy that the Zoledronate treatments are working so well for Zuri! I look forward to your post later this week. Hope Zuri's response is a good as it was last time!

I am also very hopeful for Cecil to continue to feel better. Sending all my positive thoughts!

Thanks Roux!

Zuri is more his bouncy self today. I did up his Gabapentin a few days ago and I think for the first day or so it was making him feel a bit weird, but today is the first day the swelling in his toes is noticeably better so I'm wondering if that wasn't bothering him more than it seemed. Will be doing the Zoledronate regardless on Tuesday and am really hoping we're well on our way to this stupid toe being healed. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

For anyone who may not know, I started a new post by seeking information about the use of Zoledronic Acid in the palliative care of Osteosarcoma. Our greyhound girl, Crouton, was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma, distal femur on 7/22/16 . Anyone new who would like to know the history can follow that thread, but I stopping there and picking up here.

After just 2+ weeks of unbelievable ups and downs, I am finally feeling a little more centered.

We met with our vet today without Crouton to look at x-rays again and to discuss balancing/increasing her medications. Relatively speaking, he said we have caught the osteo early. However, our doctor said that on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst), Crouton's cancer is already a 4 to 5. This time when I looked at the x-rays, I knew better what to look for. Although there is no visible external swelling on her upper leg, I could see the slight bulge on either side of the bone image and know that it is not as early as we wished. We discussed better pain control, and have bumped her medications from 2x up to 3x per day and increased both the Gabapentin and Tramadol doses. It is all subject to adjustment as we see how she reacts to these increases. For now, we are giving:

300 mg Gabapentin 3x/day

100 mg Tramadol 3x/day

75 mg Carprofen 2x/day

50 mg Tylenol 3x/day

If we make it that far, her second Zoledronate IV treatment will be on approximately September 2nd, or 28 days from the first treatment. I feel that my "thrashing" period is about to come to an end, as I begin to gain more comfort with the decision-making for her. We realize that this is a fluid, day-to-day situation and the vet is our partner to make sure Crouton does not suffer.

To that end, I saved the best for last! After a very rough weekend, today was a very good day. This afternoon, Crouton greeted us at the door three different times, tail wagging and ready for the next thing. She is still limping on three legs, but is negotiating better and has her appetite back. I have never seen any dog love food more than she does. :dogcookie A steak is definitely in her near future!

That's GREAT news!! :clap Hope the upward trend continues.

Fantastic news from Zuri and Crouton! I'm so happy to hear!! :D

Darn that bum toe of Zuri's; Cecil has corns on 3 of his feet that I constantly monitor and he also does get sore/blister type rub rashes on his toes, especially now with his irregular gait. As if the one bad leg isn't enough! Poor boys!

The ups and downs of this disease are so difficult, and "thrashing" is a perfect word for how it feels before making a decision on a care plan. I definitely have more peace since making the decision for Cecil back in December, but new decision points, little disaster days, and small wins continue to keep us on our toes!

Cecil was doing great when I updated earlier in the day on Saturday and then he slipped down a step and fell into a table, and of course his bad shoulder hit the table. Because he'd been feeling better and because we put down runner rugs over our hardwood from the dining room into the kitchen directly to the sliding glass doors of the screened porch, he sprinted from the end of the dining room out the sliding glass door and somehow slipped and ended up splayed out and crashed into the dining table on the screened porch. Our dogs don't romp in the house much, especially Cecil, especially since his osteo. I have no idea what got into him. I yelled at him to slow down, but it was too late. He screamed and was in a total panic. I had to help him up and he was holding up his bad leg after the screaming stopped. It was awful and I thought for sure it was broken. I got him up and stable and called him back into the kitchen to offer a treat. He hobbled up the step, bowed on command (which I always make him do after getting up because it helps stretch that shoulder out) and he gladly took his treat.

I immediately upped his meds to 4 Gabapentin 3x/day and 100mg of Tramadol 4x/day. Saturday night and Sunday were bad; limping worse than I'd ever seen and hard getting up/down. Yesterday was much better and today he's almost back to where he was before the fall. Moving much faster and easier. We have bloodwork scheduled for Friday and Zoledronate on Monday. We really were seeing progress and now I feel like we're back to square one (and I'm so relieved we could even get back to square one, considering I thought it was all over on Saturday night).

Good thoughts to Zuri with his treatment today and fingers crossed Crouton's new drug routine continues to control her pain. And 4My2Greys, thanks for asking about all of us :).

I was just about to post today's good news about Crouton (below), then ready about poor Cecil. Your description of the accident and ensuing angst is exactly how we felt this weekend when Crouton collapsed, shaking, against the wall. I am so sad you all had to go through that horror and fear. Nothing makes you question yourself more than seeing your hound go through something like that. I really understand. A week or so ago, Crouton screamed in pain once in the night when she got her leg tangled under her when trying to change positions. Her night bed is at the foot of our bed. When we heard that, both our feet hit the floor in unison, lights went on, and we were inches away from her in a split second. All of your hearts are pounding, and the guilt is overwhelming. Then, somehow, it gets better enough that you know the day has not yet come... My heart goes out to you and I hope Cecil continues to improve.

As for Zuri, I send all my best wishes for a smooth treatment today. I am so hoping you see good results soon. Please do let us know.

So, even more good news from Crouton today!! She had a much better night last night, plus no accidents in the house (she had had a handful over the last few days when she felt so bad). Adjusting the meds has been a really good thing for her.

We have been outside twice already this morning. The last time, we joined the boys in the backyard, where she walked and did some important sniffing, did all her business, and then "sprinted" beautifully a short distance on her three legs. She did not go far, and actually moves more easily when she goes a little faster. She is starting to get a handle on how to move to best protect her left hind leg. Slow walking seems to be the most difficult. Makes sense with a grey, right?

Before anyone worries about the sprinting, she is always on leash, except in the backyard. If she starts to do anything that puts her more at risk, I will restrict her movement in the backyard.

Who knows if this is only better pain meds, or maybe even a bit of an effect from the zoledrontae treatment (is that possible this soon???), but whatever it is, I am so thankful.

I was just about to post today's good news about Crouton (below), then ready about poor Cecil. Your description of the accident and ensuing angst is exactly how we felt this weekend when Crouton collapsed, shaking, against the wall. I am so sad you all had to go through that horror and fear. Nothing makes you question yourself more than seeing your hound go through something like that. I really understand. A week or so ago, Crouton screamed in pain once in the night when she got her leg tangled under her when trying to change positions. Her night bed is at the foot of our bed. When we heard that, both our feet hit the floor in unison, lights went on, and we were inches away from her in a split second. All of your hearts are pounding, and the guilt is overwhelming. Then, somehow, it gets better enough that you know the day has not yet come... My heart goes out to you and I hope Cecil continues to improve.

As for Zuri, I send all my best wishes for a smooth treatment today. I am so hoping you see good results soon. Please do let us know.

So, even more good news from Crouton today!! She had a much better night last night, plus no accidents in the house (she had had a handful over the last few days when she felt so bad). Adjusting the meds has been a really good thing for her.

We have been outside twice already this morning. The last time, we joined the boys in the backyard, where she walked and did some important sniffing, did all her business, and then "sprinted" beautifully a short distance on her three legs. She did not go far, and actually moves more easily when she goes a little faster. She is starting to get a handle on how to move to best protect her left hind leg. Slow walking seems to be the most difficult. Makes sense with a grey, right?

Before anyone worries about the sprinting, she is always on leash, except in the backyard. If she starts to do anything that puts her more at risk, I will restrict her movement in the backyard.

Who knows if this is only better pain meds, or maybe even a bit of an effect from the zoledrontae treatment (is that possible this soon???), but whatever it is, I am so thankful.

That scream just tears your heart out, doesn't it? And then the questioning starts all over again, how long do you wait to see improvement? Do you wait? Just so hard.

So, so, so glad to hear Crouton is adjusting to the meds. And I read that the pain improvement with zoledronate can be seen in as little as 24 hours in some dogs. We didn't see any improvement until treatment #3 (and I'm not even sure if that caused the improvement). You've probably seen this, but just in case, here's a link to an article with a video that has some good info: http://tripawds.com/2010/06/29/bisphosphonates-when-amputation-isnt-an-option/

I'm so sorry for the scare with Cecil. It's "funny", we had a slip last night and I started to post, then stopped myself because I was afraid people would judge me. Zuri lost his footing coming up the stairs, which of course freaked him out. I keep the front half of his help 'em up harness on for walks so I can grab him just in case, and because having the leash clipped to it going down the steps seems to slow him down a bit, but without the back harness as well I couldn't get him steady so I had to resort to picking him up, which only caused more flailing, and carry him the last few steps. I thought he'd be in a lot of pain today, but he is actually pretty good - definitely a bit more sore, but nothing horrible. He went down and up the stairs for his last pee break last night and again for our morning walk today with only a little hesitation on the up because he was still nervous, but it freaked me the f out and was not fun for him either. :( I also did something to my back carrying him so I woke up in the pain in the middle of the night, but it feels better now that I've been up and moving around. Thankfully I had had my massage earlier yesterday so I think I was nice and loose when it happened. :rolleyes::P

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20, but we definitely should have done the Zoledronate last week. He was doing good on slightly increased meds, no signs that he was in a lot more pain, but I think between that and the toe he's tired this week. In the future, we will do it at least every 5, if not every 4 weeks. So basically the treatment can't come soon enough! We leave at 1 and I am just hopeful that it kicks in as quickly as it did last time. They are going to do subQ fluids with it again to protect his kidneys so presumably those will give him a nice boost today regardless. Fluids always make animals feel good. :)

I also want to be done with this toe injury. The swelling has mostly resolved, but the sore is still oozing, though it's much improved as well. But I am still doing epsom salt soaks twice a day and then there's the bandaging, applying ointment, stopping him if he tries to lick, etc. It's just a nuisance that I wish he didn't have to deal with though he's quite tolerant of all of the fussing.

Anyway :blah lesson learned on the Zoledronate. I've been feeling guilty the last few days for sure, but I know once the treatment kicks in and the toe is better I will have a completely different outlook. But these bumps in the road do really affect me. Any discomfort on his part is felt by me 100fold so much that I haven't been sleeping well, and thus deal with this stuff more poorly. :rolleyes: I tried Melatonin last night in the hopes that I could just get a good night's sleep, but pain from my back woke me up repeatedly and I felt groggy this morning. So tonight I think I will just go Unisom. :P

Glad Crouton continues to improve. Having them on the right med schedule really can make a huge difference. Hope it keeps up.

And hope Cecil continues returning to normal as well. I'm sure he will. I've found when Zuri has an "incident" like that it's about 3 days until he's close to normal again. I've just decided that when those types of things happen, I will increase meds for 5 days no matter what to make sure he has ample time to recover without discomfort and then if he seems to be his usual self I will drop back down. Hopefully wtih a little more time and the repeat treatment of Zoledronate coming up he's good to go asap.

About sleeping at night – my adult daughter suggested that Tylenol PM works really well for her. I was pretty skeptical, since it take horse-level meds to affect me, but it actually works pretty well without that "hungover" feeling the next morning. Yup, know what you mean about not sleeping.

Yeah, I've used Simply Sleep, which is made by Tylenol. It's actually just Benadryl in those pills. It usually works for me for a night or two and then it starts to do weird things to me. A friend suggested Unisom, saying it wasn't an antihistamine, but turns out it's just a different one. :P Anyway, I have Simply Sleep here so I may use that as I likely won't have time to pick up the Unisom. I just wanted to take it for a night or two to get back on track though since we're going in for the treatment today and the toe continues to improve I am worrying less and likely to sleep better.

So glad Zuri's toe is making progress. When it rains...

That scream just tears your heart out, doesn't it? And then the questioning starts all over again, how long do you wait to see improvement? Do you wait? Just so hard.

So, so, so glad to hear Crouton is adjusting to the meds. And I read that the pain improvement with zoledronate can be seen in as little as 24 hours in some dogs. We didn't see any improvement until treatment #3 (and I'm not even sure if that caused the improvement). You've probably seen this, but just in case, here's a link to an article with a video that has some good info: http://tripawds.com/2010/06/29/bisphosphonates-when-amputation-isnt-an-option/

Thank you so much for sending this link. I was marginally aware of the main site when searching for information, but never quite settled in to get my reading done here. I will happily do my reading this evening. I still have so much to learn!

Well a little bit of bad news. BUN is down a touch, which is not surprising as it was a really hot day last time and he had been panting a lot and his creatinine hadn't budged so I figured the slight elevation in BUN was dehydration, but today his creatinine is up. The highest it's been is 2.2 and today it's 2.4. Not high enough to prohibit treatment so he's getting it now, but still stinks. I had started to stupidly hope that 4 weeks of stable values meant maybe they weren't going to continue going up, that maybe something isolated like the sedation from his radiation had caused a bit of damage, but that would be it. I suspect it's the Deramaxx, but we can't really do anything about that. All I can do is hope it continues to creep as slowly as it has.

Anyway, I hadn't anticipated doing bloodwork, but Zuri settled really well while we waited for results and we got in some quality snuggle time. They're doing his treatment Now and then we just hope for what we saw last time - quick improvement and no sudden kidney changes. :goodluck

I've read that creatine can be up to 2.4 before being considered abnormal in a greyhound. You've got his baselines though and obviously the numbers are going up. Are their supplements or special diets out there to support kidney function? I should probably be reading up on this as well if we plan to continue with the zoledronate.

Sending Zuri quick improvement and no sudden kidney change vibes with this treatment!! :goodluck:goodluck

Yeah, we have years of annual blood work. His creatinine was never higher than 1.6.

He's on a kidney support supplement. I've heard very good things about Standard Process' supplement, but we went with VetriScience's renal support. The Standardized Process supplements are based on whole foods so there are things like cow kidney in it. It's pricey and since we feed raw I thought the Vetriscience product maybe made more sense. I started that when they first went up so maybe it has been helping, who knows.

He also gets milk thistle and curcumin, both of which are supposed to have some positive effects on kidneys.

We likely won't do a special kidney diet. If he gets to the point where he's actually sick because the values have gone up more it will be time to say goodbye. I don't believe in limiting protein in the early stages of disease, especially in this scenario.

Sending Zuri quick improvement and no sudden kidney change vibes with this treatment!! :goodluck:goodluck

And thank you! They called me to check out as I was typing that. :)

We're home. Zuri has a giant lump from the subQ fluids, seems bigger than last time so maybe they gave more given the creatinine. Unfortunately all the bs with the blood work took forever so I have to leave in 20 minutes to teach. He seems good though. Was unusually stressed when we left but settled quickly in the car and is waiting patiently in his crate for dinner right now so I know he'll just sleep while I'm gone. Well and maybe pee as he absorbs the fluids, but I can deal with that. :P

Can't wait to be home later and just chill out with him. And a glass of wine. Or maybe liquor. Regardless, there will be alcohol. :lol

Edited by NeylasMom

Can't wait to be home later and just chill out with him. And a glass of wine. Or maybe liquor. Regardless, there will be alcohol. :lol

So glad Zuri is home and resting, but sorry to hear about lab value concerns. Treatments are always stressful, even when you trust they are a good thing.

Just curious, how does your vet deliver the Zoledronate? Mine puts it in an IV drip over 45 minutes. We were able to stay with Crouton through the entire procedure and let her know how good she was to lie still on her bed, all the while stroking and reassuring her. She lifted her head three or four times to see who was going in and out of the room, but was incredibly patient and just trusted us. How does Zuri react during the treatment?

Glad you will soon be home and communing with Zuri.

Sounds like all went well with the treatment, but bummer you had to leave so soon after coming home. I'm sure he'll be fine - we've had no issues after treatment at all. Hopefully the subQ's will do their job and keep those kidneys in prime shape! As for the wine or liquor, I think a well-deserved nip before bed may be in order. Maybe you won't need the Unisom or Tylenol PM :nod

Great question about how Zuri gets his treatment. Cecil gets his in an IV drip over 15 minutes and I also stay with him. I bring his bed to the vet's office, we put him in a kennel in the treatment area, he lays down, and the vet techs do their thing. He never moves and they are always amazed by him. Me too.

So Crouton is at 45 minutes and I think the dose is the same based on what you've said before (and I'd have to check with my vet). I wonder why the difference? Curious about Zuri's dose/admin time.

Great question about how Zuri gets his treatment. Cecil gets his in an IV drip over 15 minutes and I also stay with him. I bring his bed to the vet's office, we put him in a kennel in the treatment area, he lays down, and the vet techs do their thing. He never moves and they are always amazed by him. Me too.

So Crouton is at 45 minutes and I think the dose is the same based on what you've said before (and I'd have to check with my vet). I wonder why the difference? Curious about Zuri's dose/admin time.

Our vet mentioned that his research indicated there were conflicting opinions about how fast/slow to deliver it, so he chose middle ground. I wrote that Crouton's first dose (4 mg) was delivered over a 45 minute period, but we did have one false start, so it may have been a little closer to 35-40 minutes. The doctor also mentioned that his research indicated that the IV site needed to be flushed with normal saline after the infusion, which he did. One thing I forgot to mention was that Crouton had a bit of a fever for about two days after her treatment, which I understand can be a side effect in humans, too.

I don't know Zuri's Zoledronate dose, but they give it in fluids over 15 minutes like Cecil's. With the previous bisphosphonate, Pamidronate, you needed to do a much longer period of fluids before, during and after the treatment to mitigate the potential for damage to the kidneys. I remember Neyla's treatment taking close to several hours. My vet and I discussed in pretty good detail whether to extend the time for the fluids, especially in light of the extra precaution needed for his kidneys, but in the end one vet felt that the IV fluids tend to just move right through them so he felt the subQ fluids were a better choice as they get absorbed over time. My vet (who was out when we did the second treatment when we added the fluids) felt that since we didn't see an immediate jump in values after that treatment we should just stick with what was working. I felt like this treatment took a little bit longer yesterday so maybe they did do a bit more fluids than last time, but she didn't mention anything.

I do think that may have "manhandled" him a bit to get him settled for the treatment. I can't be sure, but I know what he's like with people trying to physically manipulate him into a lying position and I now think that panting when they brought him out may be because he got stressed and/or was in pain as a result. We didn't have this issue the last time and the first time he was still pretty sedated from his CT scan. I did ask last time about staying with him and they said I couldn't, but I am going to press them on it before the next treatment. It's really frustrating that the go to in veterinary care is just to force the dog when, especially in our case my dogs are quite cooperative. For example, when they came in to do the blood draw he was already settled on his bed. They immediately started climbing onto him to do a stronghold on his neck so they could draw from his jugular. I put a stop to that immediately and told them he would be happy to lie there eating treats with no restraint while they did the blood draw from his leg, which is exactly what he did. Meanwhile, the tech holding his leg was still holding it tightly, causing him to try to pull it away because that's the leg he's more sensitive about and tends to jerk away in his massage therapy if the stretch is too intense. Because it was so quick, I didn't bother to tell her if she just let the leg go he wouldn't even do that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, he seemed significantly more painful after his treatment than right before as I took him out to potty just before and he trotted along happily finding a place to poop and pee, whereas when we got outside after his treatment he started trotting to get to the car and suddenly yelped and look back at me as if he thought I had hurt him. :( And last night at 6:30 he woke me up with a single loud high pitched bark. I think he had awoken and went to reposition and hurt himself. We really haven't had the crying out in pain issue, with one or two exceptions very early on when he was still recovering from his CT so that was disappointing. And even though shortly after he got up without issue and resettled on the orthopedic bed in his crate for the rest of the morning I didn't really sleep after that. :(

ANYWAY, hopefully the Zoledronate kicks in asap. If it goes like last time, that should be tomorrow, but when he had all of those issues after his CT it was a full week until we saw the Zoledronate's effect. I am afraid we're going to trend toward that timeline rather than the 2 day one, but am just holding out hope I'm wrong.

In the meantime, one really positive update - his toe is doing really well! :yay No swelling or signs of infection anymore and the sore is DRY! I am keeping it bandaged and socked for a while longer because I know if I don't it will rub right open again, but he doesn't mind the bandage so this is at least a huge relief. And I think we can stop the twice a day Epsom salt soaks as well.

Any Cecil or Crouton updates today?

I came home to a different dog! :clap To the point that he was acting like a crazy dog, totally carelessly running and trotting around. I did what I could to keep him calm and not have multiple heart attacks since I know he's not quite ready for total mania yet. :lol

Unfortunately the toe is raw again. :riphair

Still, Zoledronate is starting to work. :yay Me, myself and I are going to celebrate since I seem to be the only one posting in here. :P

Edited by NeylasMom