I wanted to give an update on my Sadie. A recap: she starting limping in January 2014. She had her front leg leg amputated in February 2014. She had three chemo treatments. And she is STILL here with us! That is 20 months post diagnosis and 19 months post amp. I am so happy that she made it to her 10th Birthday in June 2015. That was a milestone I wanted her to reach. That's about it. Just wanted to update you on her success!!

:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is fantastic news for both Henry and Sadie!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I wanted to give an update on my Sadie. A recap: she starting limping in January 2014. She had her front leg leg amputated in February 2014. She had three chemo treatments. And she is STILL here with us! That is 20 months post diagnosis and 19 months post amp. I am so happy that she made it to her 10th Birthday in June 2015. That was a milestone I wanted her to reach. That's about it. Just wanted to update you on her success!!

Awesome update!!!!! :yay

• 1 month later...

Yeah Henry and Sade!! Good to hear they are doing well :nod

Stolie is doing well too - he has passed the 12 month (post diagnosis and amputation) mark. And he is still keen to get out and explore - plus he still gets the zoomies every once in a while. :)

Edited by Dancer

Yeah Henry and Sade!! Good to hear they are doing well :nod

Stolie is doing well too - he has passed the 12 month (post diagnosis and amputation) mark. And he is still keen to get out and explore - plus he still gets the zoomies every once in a while. :)

Sadly Henry has passed. The thread wasn't updated :-(. So happy to hear Stollie is doing well!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I need some help!

A dear friend's hound was just diagnosed and is having an amp tomorrow, rear leg. Please say a little prayer for Jolley. He's 11.5 but in excellent shape.

She is wanting info on chemo - she has been through this before (unfortunately) and at the time got Caboplatin from OSU. I read at the start of this thread that OSU isn't doing that anymore? Is there any program that is? Any contact info I can pass on to her is SO appreciated!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Does anyone have an up to date info - links to studies, mean survival times, etc - for palliative care options these days? And specifically, does anyone have experience with Zoledronate, which is apparently the newest bisphosphonate being used (with reportedly a lower risk of kidney side effects)?

My boss's GSD has just been diagnosed with what is likely bone cancer though I think the oncologists are giving them a bit of false hope because the presentation is a little unusual (in the middle of his long bone rather than near a growth plate). Anyway, based on how much pain he's been in and for how long and the doses of meds they need currently to keep him seemingly comfortable I don't think he has much time, but they are considering pursuing radiaton + bisphophonates + chemo and I realized my info is likely out of date. The get did give her one article that reported mean survival times of one year with all 3 treatments used in combination.

Anyway, any more current info appreciated. They did do one treatment of the Zoledronate while they were there since they kept him for other tests so they'll be able to see if that helps. Apparently because the risk of side effects is lower, they don't need to administer the drug with IV fluids like you did with Pamidronate so that seems promising for dogs who don't handle the vet well. They are also waiting for FNA results.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We used pamidronate for Effie until it stopped working and then switched to zoledronate. Her cancer was quite advanced when we switched, and we were only able to get one dose in her (the day that we planned to adminster the second dose, we ended up having to euthanize her). However, it helped her tremendously - it was much more effective than the pamidronate, and she got a lot of relief from it during that month. It was much quicker to administer than the pamidronate as well, and that was a huge relief as she really didn't like going to the vet. If I had to go through this again, I would start with the zoledronate as I think it's more effective.

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

Please keep my friend's greyhound in your thoughts. Wrigley had her leg amputated on December 16th. She was re-admitted on January 5th for dehydration and iv pain meds.

According to Wrigley's mom, they think she hurt her back. It's tender or it could be cancer spread to spine but so far X-ray are clear so fingers crossed its just a sprain. They did a ct scan to check the lungs and spine again. They found a gi bleed on the ultrasound. So they are doing everything to get that healed they say about 48 hours. Then they have to figure out what is causing the discomfort in spine ugh.

It has been a rough few months for my friend. She lost her 15 year old greyhound in November.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Damnit, I really hate cancer! My friends just got the FNA results confirming it's osteo. I think Vinny in particular is going to need a lot of strength to make the right decision for Rohan because he's really his dog. Any thoughts that you guys could spare that they have some good time left would be appreciated.

Sending my own good thoughts Wrigley's way.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My thoughts are with Vinny and Rohan. Please let Vinny know he will have good quality time with Rohan.

Pogo had his leg amputated on November 20th and he is up and running and pogoing. The first few weeks may feel like hell, but they get better. Pogo developed an arrhythmia (most likely caused by the pain meds) and then quit eating. Pogo is not a dog that you can force a pill into. He ended up going back to the vet school where he was also treated for a UTI infection (he had a 106 fever), but now he is pretty much normal. I think he runs more now that he has three legs. He does a good job of running in our snow covered back yard. He is on gabapentin now. We suspect he is having phantom pains, but we also suspect he is having muscle pains. Pogo hardly limped before he had his surgery, so his legs were not muscled up ahead of time.

Even if the cancer came back tomorrow, I feel we did the right thing. Right now he is as happy as can be. He eats well, runs around, and if we don't put the plastic floor mat (nubby side up) he climbs into bed. We may not have had our usual Christmas, but we received the best present: A happy and bouncy Pogo :beatheart:bounce2

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

My thoughts are with Wrigley & her people as she struggles, and Rohan & his people for his diagnosis. All of us here know how difficult these times are and are hoping for the best.

Annette, I am so happy to hear how well Pogo is doing!! And yes, he and Twiggy need to have a 3-legged race next year at Gala! lol

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

My thoughts are with Wrigley & her people as she struggles, and Rohan & his people for his diagnosis. All of us here know how difficult these times are and are hoping for the best.

Annette, I am so happy to hear how well Pogo is doing!! And yes, he and Twiggy need to have a 3-legged race next year at Gala! lol

How is Twiggy doing?

I just got an email from Wrigley's mom. The GI bleed was too much. She is now whole again at the rainbow bridge :weep:cry1:angelwings