• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try that. ..thanks ML!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Prematurelygrey

We lost Matawan today. My husband had dropped him off at the vet hospital for his regularly scheduled pamidronite infusion & chest x-rays and hadn't even made it home, when the hospital called us back. Matawan had been lying on a bed, waiting for his turn; he stood up and his leg fractured under him. Spiral fracture starting at the tumor site. They were able to keep him comfortable 'til we got there and thank god for small mercies, we didn't have to hear his scream. They were able to get him into his bed in my car - he's so vet phobic we wanted him to be in an environment he felt safe in. He laid with the breeze blowing on him and even dozed for a bit with us lying next to him (he was pretty heavily medicated). Then we said good-bye and sent him on to find his foster-brother mohican on the other side of the bridge. Seven months post-diagnosis. I guess we always knew this day would come, but we just weren't expecting it today. I can't stop crying.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss. He left knowing he was loved. Run free sweet boy.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost Dante the same way - so very hard. Hugs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Only seeing Matawan's passing now. I am so very sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prematurelygrey

Thanks to everyone for your condolences on Matawan. We're still so sad. But did want to share here that I saw press release from the companies that have licenses to the osteo treatment that was being studied at U Penn (by Nicola Mason). Study results were positive & the company that licensed the drug to commercialize expects they'll have approval to start selling in 2016.

Here's the link to the press release: http://ir.advaxis.com/press-releases/detail/1165/advaxiss-cancer-immunotherapy-delays-progression-of-her2-canine-osteosarcoma
Quote about approval: "Advaxis licensed ADXS-HER2 to Aratana Therapeutics (NASDAQ:PETX) in March of 2014 for pet health indications and it is now being developed and prepared for commercialization using the name AT-014. Advaxis and Aratana anticipate conditional licensure of AT-014 for the treatment of canine OSA from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 2016."

Not a cure, but still a positive that there may be other treatment options in a year or so.

Was also wondering if there was any update on Gabe?

Thanks for posting the press release - I've was in touch with both Adavaxis and Aratana last month begging to get the protocol, but both said they couldn't do that, and that we'd have to wait until it's licensed. They promised to let me know when it was available.

Gabe is doing really well. His incision has healed, he is finished with most of his drugs and I started this week letting him out with the others, as he made it clear he can take care of himself. It's still a bit nerve wracking to watch him barrel down the ramp with a group of greyhounds, but he's managing as if he still had his leg. Everything has gone very smoothly indeed.

We go down to Metzger's in PA for our 2nd carbo treatment on Wednesday. I don't know if they'll do rads of his lungs at that time or what. I'm almost afraid to get them.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Really glad to hear your boy is doing well :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good news about Gabe!

You may want to consider having the routine pre-chemo bloodwork done close to home, so you don't make the long drive and then learn his WBC count is too low for the treatment. Also, we didn't get lung rads until chemo was finished, but I imagine each clinic/clinician has their own routine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Greysmom, Mark did bring this up during his first chemo so I set up an appointment for Wednesday morning at 8:40am with my own vet here in town. We'll leave at 9:30am if all is well and be there in time for his 4pm chemo appointment. I'm also bringing one of my other greyhounds who has a weird thing going on in her neck, I want to see what they think. We'll stay over one night and then head back Thursday. I'm the only one I know who has getaways with her dogs lol.

The reason we're doing such a late day appointment is that I'm following a chronotherapy protocol that suggests carboplatin chemo is best given between 4pm and 6pm, this is when it is least toxic and most effective. Chronotherapy is a European thing, but I figure, what the heck, it can't hurt!

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

• 2 months later...

Hello all! This thread has been pretty quiet for awhile. I'm hoping no news is good news!

My boy Henry is 21 months post amputation today! We had a very eventful summer packed with hiking, greyhound events, and the addition of a new brother (Boogie the kitten, who joined our family on the Fourth of July). Henry continues to do well as a tripawd, and we are diligent about preventative maintenance (regular chiropractor visits, joint supplements, monitoring weight, and keeping his nails as short as possible). Henry's had his fair share of falls, scrapes, scratches, and trips to the e-vet this year for minor injuries. I can see him slowing down a little bit. But for an almost 8-year-old tripawd, he is still pretty damn impressive.

Here he is at Taughannock Falls at Grapehounds NY. After this pic was taken, he did the river walk/wade/swim with us the whole way back.

v68y.jpg

Looking forward to hearing some good updates about the other cancer dogs on this thread! Hope you all had a greyt summer. :goodluck

Realized I haven't been in this thread in about a year so spent some time this morning catching up. I'm very sorry for all of you who have had to deal with this diagnosis or a loss due to it recently. :(

And Alicia, that is great news! :yay

Isn't it also time for an exciting announcement from Wendy? I haven't seen any posts from her in the last couple of months, but I believe Twiggy's 4 year ampuversary was in August?! :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I wanted to give an update on my Sadie. A recap: she starting limping in January 2014. She had her front leg leg amputated in February 2014. She had three chemo treatments. And she is STILL here with us! That is 20 months post diagnosis and 19 months post amp. I am so happy that she made it to her 10th Birthday in June 2015. That was a milestone I wanted her to reach. That's about it. Just wanted to update you on her success!!