Horrible Vet Visit Today

Guest klipper

Guest klipper

Well, we took our new (to us) retired racer to the vet for the first time today due to some gagging issues (and puking on the carpet)

Well, she got diagnosed with either stomache ulcers or acid reflux and the vet wanted to give her some prilosec or prevacid to see if that will help her out...that's the good news.

The bad news is her rear molars are rotting out of head and she has advanced / severe pareo. We scheduled for a cleaning (even though we've only had her 4 months now and she supposedly had a full cleaning before the adoption) but the vet says we are likely looking at 4 - 6 extractions.

Anyone have experience with this? How do they handle losing 4 - 6 teeth? Anything we should watch for?

Welcome to GT and I'm sorry, I know how stressful it is to find health problems in a newly adopted dog.

She should handle the loss in the long-term just fine, there are dogs who have had all their teeth extracted and manage just fine. I would talk to your vet about antibiotics (I think most prefer them with that level of dental disease) and whether or not they have Amicar on hand in case of bleeding issues.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My Ryder needed both of his big massive upper molars and I think 2 others extracted during his initial cleaning. I felt horrible for him because he was so super medicated when he got back. Although he's red, you could see he had some bruising around his eyes because of the (for lack of a better word) trauma inflicted on his face/jaw. Those teeth are super close to the sinuses and all of the connections in his head.

They do well on the right meds, and surprisingly, the stitches never bothered him, although some of them did break open and bleed quite a bit. I have no idea how he does it but he's able to still obliterate a turkey neck and any bones by using the gums that have been vacated by teeth. They do overcome the loss eventually, just be ready for lots of pampering when they get back.

Watch for how sleepy he is, and excessive drooling/bleeding. Many others here have a wealth of experience in this department so take all of their words to heart while your pup recuperates.

Re: stomach acid - Kasey has done quite well on Pepcid so that is completely controllable, don't you worry.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We got our grey girl Bonny as a 6 y/o bounce. She was already missing a few teeth when we got her. In the 6.5 years we've had her, she has lost another 11 teeth between two dentals. She bounces back from the dentals within a day or two. She has no trouble eating kibble or cookies. Poor Bonny lost the greyhound dental jackpot.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

My Diamond lost 23 teeth at once. My local vet felt that if the teeth weren't loose they won't take them out. But you could put a toothpick between the roots of her molars the gum disease was so bad.

So I took her to a dentist and she removed most of the teeth. She did have a horrible couple of days but once her mouth healed she was the happiest I ever saw her. And she had just enough teeth left to still eat milkbone biscuits.

I recommend that if she has bad teeth, take them out. they'll only get worse later.

It sounds scary, but if the teeth are that bad she will feel so much better without them. It may help her stomach issues as well, if there is infection and/or drainage. If your vet is not familiar with greys, be sure they know about the sensitivity to anesthetics. My Sallie lost all her upper molars, both sides when she was 8 1/2 and does just fine!

Guest Doggone

Autumn came to me last year, having had 4 extractions during the first spay/dental checkup with the adoption group. I never noticed it interfering with her eating.

On Friday, she'll be having another dental, and most likely will have at least one extraction, maybe more. Other than the soft food and meds afterward, the vet says there shouldn't be any other treatment and that she should be fine. I'm more concerned with this being the first time under anesthesia as MY doggie, but knowing that this practice also treats other greyhounds, I'm a bit reassured. Still, 'til she's home, I'll be nervous.:(

Once the bad teeth are extracted her health should improve immensely. There's lots of harmful bacteria associated with periodontal disease. Our first grey lost most of her teeth and never had a problem with eating. I imagine her gums hardened up a bit and that helped. Six teeth is very minor assuming they're not canines.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

is omeprazole the same as Pepcid

omeprazole is generic Prilosec and famotidine is generic Pepcid. They are used to treat generally the same thing (peptic ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux), but attack the problem via different mechanisms

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest FrankieWylie

Magic had 9 teeth extracted a few months back. Vet said he would probably need 9 more taken out but 6 hours under anesthesia was plenty enough time for him he said.

He was fine. He still eat his raw chicken quarters and bones like a champ.

Guest lunasmom

I had a similar situation with Luna, she had a dental July 2nd, i adopted her July 20. I took her to the vet towards the end her first week with me mostly just to meet the vet, and was told she would need extractions. I decided to wait because she just had a dental and her mouth didnt seem to be bothering her. Well, fast forward about 7 months and her mouth was bothering her so I scheduled a dental. She went in this past friday and ended up having 5 teeth pulled, all upper molars. She handled the procedure really well with just a little bit of a nose bleed after.

She is still on soft food (I'm just soaking her kibble) and medications (pain and antibiotics) for another week or so, no toys or bones either. I'm interested to see how well she does with the tougher treats once she heals, but she has enough teeth left I think she will be able to manage (she had some extractions before I adopted her too).

Guest klipper

Well, she's scheduled for March 17th. That was the first day where my wife could be home the day after to keep an eye on her.

Wish us luck.

It's been a few years since I was heavily involved with my rescue group so take this fwiw, but the "dental" that's included in the post racing vet work isn't really a true dental. I was told that generally speaking if there was time left after the spay/neuter they'd clean the dog's teeth as best they could, but they're not keeping them under anesthesia longer to perform dental care, nor are they doing dental x-rays, preparing for extractions, etc. This is in the situation where the dogs are vetted at the track before being moved to temporary kennels and/or groups. Final caveat, my group worked with a few specific tracks/kennels so this may not apply across the board.

Point being, unless your group did the vetting and actually paid specifically for a dental, there's a good chance she didn't really get one. If your group did the vetting though and said they did a dental then I would definitely follow up with them.

As for the dental itself, I wouldn't stress too much. Just ask your vet to prescribe Amicar and start her on it the day of the dental to help prevent post-op bleeding. If she's not familiar with using it, Dr. Couto could quickly consult with her.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our Ambi is afflicted with bad gums (his body reacts to plaque?) and he has had 13, 9 and 7 teeth removed in 3 dentals in two years. Something we did not want but he is much happier without the sore bright red and bleeding gums. We now give him smallish sized kibbles about 1/3 inch across, with about 1/3 cup water on top because he just gulps down everything- he always did that. He does not miss the teeth.

Good luck on March 17th. She will probably have a very bloody mouth, so be prepared for that. We have an old quilt that we get our dental greys to sleep on for a couple of days. It's easier to wash than carpet!

ETA our little female Tosca just had a dental on Monday, lost 6 molars/teeth and is doing well. She's on antibiotics and pain killers (Metacam and Tamadol).

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

It's been a few years since I was heavily involved with my rescue group so take this fwiw, but the "dental" that's included in the post racing vet work isn't really a true dental. I was told that generally speaking if there was time left after the spay/neuter they'd clean the dog's teeth as best they could, but they're not keeping them under anesthesia longer to perform dental care, nor are they doing dental x-rays, preparing for extractions, etc. This is in the situation where the dogs are vetted at the track before being moved to temporary kennels and/or groups. Final caveat, my group worked with a few specific tracks/kennels so this may not apply across the board.

Point being, unless your group did the vetting and actually paid specifically for a dental, there's a good chance she didn't really get one. If your group did the vetting though and said they did a dental then I would definitely follow up with them.

As for the dental itself, I wouldn't stress too much. Just ask your vet to prescribe Amicar and start her on it the day of the dental to help prevent post-op bleeding. If she's not familiar with using it, Dr. Couto could quickly consult with her.

I know this is true of the greyhounds our group gets from the GPA-Wheeling kennel. The "dental" is basically just a quick cleaning.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Doggone

Well, she's scheduled for March 17th. That was the first day where my wife could be home the day after to keep an eye on her.

Wish us luck.

Good luck :).

My Autumn did have her dental cleaning/surgery yesterday and she needed six extractions and two "packings" (antibiotics packed into deep pockets in an effort to prolong the life of those teeth).

I picked her up @ 6pm (her surgery was early in the morning, but her vet believes in monitoring for the day). I gave her a can of pâté-like food, with a couple of pain pills, and other than a bit of mouth noises (swallowing sounds), she was back to normal, having a decent night's rest. Today is pretty much the same: soft food, pain pills, antibiotic and rest. For the next two weeks, she'll be on soft food, and after her post-surgery checkup, I'll probably change her food to half kibble, half canned, presuming she's all healed.

I was also quite nervous beforehand, but I'm happy to say that like others on this board have posted, they usually do better than us, their "parents" :D