Sign in to follow this  
Guest BiggiesOwner

Worried New Bed Is Too Small

Guest BiggiesOwner

Today is Biggie's second birthday and the BF and I decided to splurge and order a nice bolster bed for him. He'd previously commandeered the bolster bed of a tiny little lap dog and loved it- so we figured a normal sized one would be the perfect present . We measured his current beds and based our order of a "large bed" on those numbers. We even sprung to get his name monogrammed on it!

Lo and behold - the bed arrives yesterday and we completely didn't factor in the bolsters taking up actual "bed space" in the measurements :( So he's got less bed space and more bolster - it doesn't look comfy to me. The kicker is that since his name is monogrammed on the bed we can't return it :(

Spending around $100 on a dog bed was a big budget splurge for us - I can't spend more for a while. I know greyhounds are famous for curling up in little spaces - but I feel a little bad "forcing" him to curl up. He's sort of gotten used to laying in it today - this seems to be his main pose.....

1654049_10101576245079099_1004125914_n.j

One of Sweep's beds is so huge I refer to it as the "life raft," and yet some part of her is always hanging off it. On the other hand, one Christmas when visiting family out of town, we found her curled up in the resident pug's bed. I think Biggie looks perfectly content! I have learned not to judge greyhound sleeping positions by what I would consider comfy; they have their own super-weird standards for that. :lol

17369590311_3d5eeef92f.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo. Always missing Mud the meezer and Henry, my sweet bubba.

We have beds of all sizes here, from one which looks about the same size as Biggie's but without the padded sides to a super-giant, big-enough-for-a-great-dane oval bed with soft walls and a mattress in the bottom. When I ordered that one I had fond hopes of my two dogs sharing it. Doesn't happen! Well, only when Jeff is seriously upset about something when he'll curl up in it with Sid - and yes, they do both fit!

However. Quite a lot of the time they will lay in a bed with their head and shoulders hanging out on to the carpet by choice. I can't tell you the number of pictures I have of them like that! And I spread a folded duvet plus blankets out nice and flat for them and Jeffie comes along, scrapes it all up in a heap and then balances himself on top!

Biggie's new bed does look a tad small for him, but he looks as if he likes it. Happy birthday, Biggie!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Summit and Kili have a bolster from Costco. It's probably about the same size as the one you have. At the time when I bought it, Kili was still only about 8 months old so I mostly bought it for her. The same day I also bought a large, flat Costco bed. Lo and behold, when I come home and put the beds down Summit jumps into the tiny one and curls up and Kili lounges on the big one. Even now Summit will often choose the smaller bolster. Generally just if he wants to curl up (or if Kili is already using the other one). So it really depends on the dog. Mine have been known to try to use cat beds too.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Maybe the monogram should have said "Bigger" :rofl

It's fine!!! He will love it :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My Biggy would like to say Happy Birthday to your Biggie. lol My Biggy's racing name was G's Yellow Line. kennel name was Big Boy.

012_zps8e3d3f18.jpg

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest Jacks_Human

No matter how much bed space is available, Jack always finds weird pretzel poses-- so IMHO your worries about the bed are unfounded.

Do you remember "big guy in a little coat" from Tommy Boy?

Here's "big dog in a little bed". This is at my parent's house. That's their westie's bed. :rofl

2F020F76-F989-42D0-988F-430FBEFD0F7E_zps

Introducing Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13

Jackson the Airedale 12/12/05

Forever missing Grace 2/18/03 - 1/19/13 (RT's Grace, 18156/23B) and Fenway 10/10/06 - 9/25/16 (not registered)

Fenway just fits. :lol Doesn't look thrilled though.

Biggie looks perfectly happy to me. :)

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

I understand your disappointment, but your boy fits just fine. Very few houndies seem to use an entire bed. Something's always hanging off. I once fostered a girl who thought she fit into the cat's bed. Needless to say, as much as she tried.....

Feliciaheadincatbed_zpsb931b199.jpg

photo1_zps050cd661.jpg

photo2_zps102351ad.jpg

Guest BiggiesOwner

Well I definitely feel better now after seeing all those adorable bed fails!! And I think I underestimated Biggie's ability to fit in a bed - last night he finally seemed to get the hang of it!

The only reason to have a bigger bed is so the PEOPLE have a comfy place to nap when the dog snares the sofa. :lol

Looks good to me and, most importantly, to Biggie too :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guess I should have read this thread a little closer....

I went to Sam's Club tonight to get a new bed for Rocket. We had the carpets cleaned today, and i really don't want to bring those bed back in from the garage until i;ve washed a few of them, and stuffed a few of them inside each other.

Anyway - this is 30x40 - which I thought looked plenty big. Apparently, he;s okay with it, he hasn't gotten out of it since i put it on the floor.

photo_zpsa2ef9919.jpg

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

My boy Dart regularly curled up on the cat bed and the cat sprawled out on the dog bed (and managed to take up the whole bed). He looks super comfy...and handsome. :)

If he could talk he would say, "You done good mom, no worries."

They really seem to not get the bed thing, do they??!! I've had lots of dogs; greyhounds really seem to be challenged by getting their bodies in the proper places on the beds...

He's panting a bit in this one because he worked very hard for a very long time to get his butt jammed into this little bed:

12thb-dayparty012.jpg[/url]

This one is almost embarrassing:

Picture040.jpg[/url]

They always seem to figure it out! I am sure Biggie loves the bed - he sure looks cute in it!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves