What To Use To Keep Dog Off Window!

What items/materials can I put on my bow window to "naturally" stop my new girl from standing in the window? She is doing well with separation anxiety training, but she has discovered she can get up on the window sill to "watch" ..not safe. I was thinking something like aluminum foil or packaging stuff with bubbles(but that is slippery) any suggestions? I don't want to use aversive s or do anything that will cause her to be afraid of ME as she is still adjusting.

I wouldn;t put anything slippery on there. It could case a fall or startle.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What about a little strip of that stuff you put on carpet under office chairs? We used that upside-down on our sofa to keep our first boy off while we weren't home. It's pokey but not sharp, so it's uncomfortable without really hurting. Just cut a strip to fit on your windowsill and you can tack it down with double sided tape or something. I like the idea of putting a little stool there too so she can still look out without hurting herself. Put up the deterrent and offer an alternative.

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Can you open up an Xpen and place it in front f it??

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You could even just use double-sided carpet tape on the sill - it won't hurt her at all, shouldn't scare her, but won't be pleasant for her to put her paws on the sticky stuff.

dust? it's gonna get clogged & then is an SOB to get off the sill.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

thank you for all the ideas...very helpful. one more "dumb" question: my couch is in front of the window,,she sits on the couch. i would like to allow her to continue to go on the couch...so she can look out the window, but only if she can learn to go on the couch and not the window. I am being too optimistic? the living room window is the best view of the street..which she likes to look out. she does have a bed in the living room

No. I don't think you're being too optimistic. We have a couch that dogs aren't allowed on. They know that to look out if that window, they need to go to the side of it. So you're trying to do the reverse. I think what you need to do is deny her access to the window in any way other than on the couch. So blocking it off, putting things on in ( foil maybe is another option?), boxes etc. hard to know without seeing the set-up.

Edited by Brandiandwe

Put an expandable baby gate that is easy to look through across the space? Get those plastic seals to keep heat in in the winter and apply that all of the way around the opening to the window?

I wouldn't use anything even mildly aversive given what you are dealing with with her so no sticky tape, definitely no carpet runner upside-down. Is she just putting her paws on the ledge or is she actually getting her whole body up into the space? And if the latter and your real concern here is her safety, then I guess my next thought might be could you just tape down some sort of carpet/rug in the window space so there's no danger of her slipping and just let her get up there for hte time being? I am thinking over time the behavior may die down on its own as she gets more comfortable with you coming/going.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

yesterday she was standing all the way up on the window,,looked like a statue, i am afraid she will hurt herself on the glass or by falling off. today i parked my car so i could see her, but she couldn't see me, after about 20 minutes she popped up at the window, but not all the way up. left for a while and came back..same thing. i realized she found a small corner of the window without the carpet runner! i don't think it is so aversive to scare her.just enough for her to not want to put her feet there. i cut it to cover all of the window sill,

I also gave her another place to look out the front window, in a spare bedroom upstairs. the futon is right next to the window, she likes laying on the futon. i spent time in there with her today ( i ironed) while she lay on the bed. I showed her how to look out the window. later she too her bone up their. maybe if she has other options she will use the living room window less, she is a fast learner!

Yes, you're being too optimistic.

The idea that a dog is smart enough to understand "Ok, I can stand HERE and look out the window, but not four inches further on the sill" is a bit reaching. You could probably teach her not to do it when you're there--but all bets are off if you're not around.

I'd put some sort of child proofing window barrier up and call it a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck