Clarice Needs A Vulvoplasty - **update Post 27**

Clarice went in for a checkup today and we talked to the doctor about her oddly-shaped girl parts. She has quite a fold of skin over her vulva and she has a moisture sore up in there.

I know that keeping clean is important but our vet (and I) feel that even with the most diligent of cleaning, she will likely still have issues. (Of course until she has surgery I will be making sure to keep her clean now that I understand what to look for!).

So, tentatively she is scheduled for March 10th for surgery (2 weeks for antibiotics between now and then to help clear up as much of her issue as we can). I know this is commonly done and our surgeon is an amazing guy, so, I'm not really worried, but, I'm interested to hear others' experiences re: recovery.

Even though our vet sees many greyhounds, she does not recall ever doing a vulvoplasty on one. If you know of any vets that frequently do great vulvoplasties on greyhounds, let me know their name and a contact number for them and I will pass them on to our surgeon so they can chat, possibly. She was wondering if there are any special "tricks" to doing a greyhound versus another breed of dog, given the thinness of their skin.

This may also explain SOME of Clarice's reactivity to dogs when they sniff her too long.

The surgeon is the man that did Pinky's amputation when she was diagnosed with osteo - the man is like an artist with a suture line, so, as I said, I'm not worried but it does help to share tips for possible breed-specific issues.

She had some blood drawn at the vet's office. You've got to love a staff of techs who make sure that her vet wrap matches her "ensemble" :lol Everyone at our clinic is smitten with her :heart

12704559343_c7491b520b.jpg
Matching vet wrap by krissn333, on Flickr

Here she is last night at my parent's place (she is actually LAYING DOWN!)

12704578743_a748970f14.jpg
Is there food under here? by krissn333, on Flickr

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our little Idol had a vulvaplasty and did very well. I would say, she was uncomfortable for two days. She did squat and pee with a just a little difficulty. I was very dilligent about keeping her clean before she had the surgery, but, it just wasn't enough. Our vet used a laser for the surgery and there was no bleeding.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We thought Mazy was going to need this surgery. After 2 rounds of antibiotics and wiping the area a few times a day, she will not need surgery unless the bacteria returns.

Let me see if I can find the link to show you the surgical procedure.....

Editing to ad:

Are vulvoplasty and episioplasty the same thing?

It was episioplasty that Mazy was considered for.

http://www.ngap.org/greyhound-health-vulva-tuck-y320.html

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yep Ducky that's exactly what Clarice needs done.

I just hope her recovery will go well and there are no issues. We are going forward now given Clarice's young age (she will be 2 in June) and the fact that right now the weather is so crummy that hopefully by the time she is healed the weather will be better and she will be able to enjoy it! :)

Should I try to take a couple of days off work to be home with her through those first couple of days?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Kili had a vulvoplasty done at 7 months. She had other more pressing anatomical abnormalities that were probably the greater contributors to her problems but since she was unde anesthetic already I decided not to take any chances and do everything and anything that might be a problem. The first couple of times she had to squat the next day made me cringe... But she's also a bit of a drama queen. I think really a vulvoplasty is the same regardless of breed. They're a lot harder on dogs with lots of skin folds to be honest.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I am pretty sure there was an article about a dog that had this in one of last years Celebrating Greyhounds mag...

Tried to check online to see if it was available but don't see it. IIRC, the surgery was pretty straightforward and the dog was much more comfortable after. Good luck!

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Our Lilly had one done - she was about 13 months I guess. Absolutely no problems with the surgery and recovery was really quick. She was going potty normally from the next day. No issues since then either. Our only problem was that she's not all that tolerant of opiates, so post-op pain relief was limited for her. Fortunately, she didn't seem to need it longer than about a day.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you all so much for sharing...what I find amusing is that Kili, Lily, and Clarice are all young, predominantly white-coated dogs :lol

Anyone have any input on whether I should stay home to keep an eye on her? Maybe just the day following her surgery?

Wow...that's crazy!!

Anne if I can get her to hold still I'll take a pic.

I've read about this happening many times here on GT and when her vulva looked a little bit odd to me I thought thought I should ask Dr. Bahns about it, wondering if she had an issue like I've read about here. Thankfully for us, Dr. Bahns is very thorough with her exams and would have noticed it anyway (she jokes with me and the pups that she gets very personal with exams :lol).

Mom2four's dog is a brindle though!

You definitely don't want her to lick or be able to get at herself. Maybe a long weekend's worth of monitoring.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If I left her alone she'd wear a muzzle with a stool cup in it so she can't get to herself to lick.

I'll tentatively tell work I might be off for a couple of days after her surgery but if she's doing okay I'll go in.

Not that it matters but I'm curious about scarring - once they're healed and their hair grows back, can you tell anything was ever done?

If I left her alone she'd wear a muzzle with a stool cup in it so she can't get to herself to lick.

I'll tentatively tell work I might be off for a couple of days after her surgery but if she's doing okay I'll go in.

Not that it matters but I'm curious about scarring - once they're healed and their hair grows back, can you tell anything was ever done?

Not at all. You couldn't tell.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thank you all so much. I put down for the Tuesday and Wednesday off so I can stay home with her if she needs it.

I emailed Dr. Bahns about the Amicar yesterday so I wouldn't forget about it.

Dr. Less is an amazing surgeon; an artist with a scalpel really. And Clarice is a pretty tough cookie, so, I have no doubt that we are making the right choice for her and I'm hoping she will be a good girl with her sutures :)

I think she needs some special post-surgical frilly pink panties so she doesn't lick. To match her "Smooches" jammies, you know. ;)

Edited to add: Can't you just see her in this?? http://www.amazon.com/Wholesale-Princess-Ruffle-Cotton-Bloomers/dp/B00D2Z9BIC/ref=sr_1_25?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1393204008&sr=1-25

I guess the tail would be an issue, LOL.

She and you will be in my thoughts!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Our Connie had it done at 9 years of age and has been so much happier ever since. We did have a huge challenge with keeping her from licking after surgery. I work from home so it wasn't a matter of not being supervised. We have never had any success using the cone of shame with our greys or IGs and Connie was no different. It just doesn't work with their heads! We have muzzles but in our panic to stop the licking we didn't think of it as an option. :flip

So we improvised...

th_FoamHead_zps1bbc7fe7.jpg

A strip of egg crate foam mattress secured with vet wrap to keep her from being able to reach around past her shoulder. Worked like a charm. :pepper It healed very quickly, thankfully!!

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

:lol I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but, looks like she actually kind of enjoyed having a makeshift pillow attached to herself at all times :lol

Oh, go ahead and laugh! We laughed a ton - at ourselves and at her. She looked hilarious with her "head gear" but I think secretly she did enjoy the attention and that she had a built in pillow for all of her bed fails for a few days!

Jennifer, mom to Galen (GableTeletubbie) and Trixie fka Mooch (MostAggressive)
Always missing Connie (Connies Fullofit) and Chase (No Worries aka "Ace") & IG Angels Velvet and Bitsy

Talked to my vet again this morning and she is calling in a script for Amicar for us. Two days prior to surgery and 3-4 days after. :)

THANK YOU for reminding me about that. It is something standard for amputations so I always think to remind others in those situations, but, hadn't thought about it for this surgery.

I'm so glad I posted :)

We moved Clarice's surgery up to this coming Monday, March 3rd. It turns out Dr. Less is not available on the 10th and we don't want to wait until the end of the month to get this done.

Amicar is in, I will pick it up tonight.