Sign in to follow this  
Feisty49

No Cuddling. Anybody Else Have Such A Grey?

My girl Annie, who I adopted over 2-1/2 years ago, is in soooo many ways a terrific Greyhound. All my Greyhound friends tell me that there aren't many like her because she has such good behavior. There's never been SA. She's doesn't go into garbage or cruise counters. She doesn't get on furniture. She walks on a leash perfectly. She's quiet and sweet. She likes other dogs and loves people. She never does P&P in the house. She doesn't chew on things. You get the idea.

But she's not very affectionate. She'll come to me for what I call kisses (lots of petting and massaging) on her own and usually when I call her. She sometimes puts her head between my legs to get close and so I can give her a better neck massage, but I believe that if I never paid any attention to her at all, she wouldn't care.

She doesn't cuddle. She doesn't kiss. When I come home from running errands, she's waiting for me at the top of the stairs, with a slight tail wag and a look that I label relief, as if she wondered if I was ever coming back. She gets a slight smiley look in her eyes when I greet her and love her up.

I know she's bonded with me. If we're visiting and she thinks I'm leaving without her, she gets very upset and cries, running back and forth to the door with me as I load up the luggage. If I leave our own home without her, she's at the window, eyes sadder than usual with a look of defeat.

Sooo, after all this writing.... I'm asking if there are others who have Greyhounds who are what I call aloof, distant, seemingly uncaring about attention from their humans?

Zelda LOVES attention...but will not cuddle. If I get on the floor to cuddle with her she grumbles at me. Marble is still figuring out the cuddling aspect but definitely loves to be snuggled up to me, just not on me.

That's why I got my cat! She is a super cuddler, but that backfires when she wants her breakfast...

GTSiggie3-18-14A_zpse126e518.jpg
Marble (CTW Fuss Budget): CTW Legendary x CTW Frappacino

Noah: Djays Octane x Iruska Wild Side
Eden (PJ Eden): AMF Bad Bounce x PJ Miami

Missing my bridge angels: Pop (Jealousy is Ugly), Zelda (Zelda Uhl), & Mousey

Bridge angel Phoenix was like that. He would sleep touching me but never really cuddled. He would do a funny growly thing if anybody tried to cuddle, which resulted in my making fun of him. Treasure and Loca both loved to cuddle, especially with people they didn't know. Iker will cuddle for only so long, then leave to sleep on the floor. He also enjoys cuddling with people he doesn't know. Guess they weren't raised right :evil:lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Celeste and our bridge hound Faye Oops were our only two true cuddlers. The rest of our pack - Darcy, Bonny and Galga Beatrix - can take it or leave it. All of them do like being in the same room as their people though.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna

The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)

Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

"I'm asking if there are others who have Greyhounds who are what I call aloof, distant, seemingly uncaring about attention from their humans?"

From what you said, your Annie doesn't sound aloof to me.

All three of mine are not super affectionate in the usual way. Tiger sounds a little like Annie. He comes over multiple times a night for head and neck rubs where he buries his face in my legs and just rubs his head around, vibrating or chattering his jaw all the while. I find it highly endearing. He doesn't get on the furniture or bed, and I've tried.

Jujube is somewhat of a scaredy-cat. No cuddling and she will rarely come up for pets. She will get on the furniture and bed, but not for cuddles. She does give little Juju kisses. She has come along way.

Top is the most cuddly in that a few times a week he will get up on the couch next to me and get pets. No furniture or bed.

All three of them have to be in the same room as I am at all times, following me around the house, and go bonkers when I come home. Despite this lack of typical cuddling, I have never loved or felt more bonding with any dogs. There is something different...deeper, about greyhound affection, that goes beyond cuddling. Not to say that I wouldn't love one who was always trying to crawl in my lap, lol.

siggy2.jpg

Sooo, after all this writing.... I'm asking if there are others who have Greyhounds who are what I call aloof, distant, seemingly uncaring about attention from their humans?

But she's not! By your own writing, she comes to you of her own volition for petting and attention. She asks you for it, and even puts herself in a vulnerable position to get it. She likes it or else she would just walk away. She worries when you're gone and is happier when you come back. She doesn't want you to leave without her.

What more would you like her to do? Be more excited when you come home? T&B has so many threads from people trying to calm their dogs down during greetings. Carry some treats for when you come home if you want more attention. Giving kisses? Only one of my greyhounds regularly licks us out of the 9 we've had. It's more likely to be a nose poke, or a hand nudge, or a lean, or even a love bite/nitting from the rest of them. Cuddling? How would she do this since she doesn't get on the furniture or bed? Do you regularly sit on the floor with her, or on her bed? Somewhere she would feel comfortable snuggling? Out of our 9 greyhounds, 3 have had pretty severe space aggression/sleep startle, so no bed snuggling there. One is a spook, and gets anxious if she feels closed in. We wait for her to come to us most of the time. Two are/were not furniture dogs either, so we lay down on the floor with them and do belly rubs and massages. They loved the special one-on-one time! One we didn't have long enough to find out about. Only 2 have been super cuddly snuggle bugs. And I spend most of the snuggle time trying to keep a foot or a butt out of my face!

Affection is a two way street. Maybe she would *like* to cuddle/snuggle and she just doesn't know how?

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

From what you said, your Annie doesn't sound aloof to me.

All three of mine are not super affectionate in the usual way. Tiger sounds a little like Annie. He comes over multiple times a night for head and neck rubs where he buries his face in my legs and just rubs his head around, vibrating or chattering his jaw all the while. I find it highly endearing. He doesn't get on the furniture or bed, and I've tried.

Jujube is somewhat of a scaredy-cat. No cuddling and she will rarely come up for pets. She will get on the furniture and bed, but not for cuddles. She does give little Juju kisses. She has come along way.

Top is the most cuddly in that a few times a week he will get up on the couch next to me and get pets. No furniture or bed.

All three of them have to be in the same room as I am at all times, following me around the house, and go bonkers when I come home. Despite this lack of typical cuddling, I have never loved or felt more bonding with any dogs. There is something different...deeper, about greyhound affection, that goes beyond cuddling. Not to say that I wouldn't love one who was always trying to crawl in my lap, lol.

Yah, maybe I'm wishing Annie was a climb-on-the-couch cuddler. I've not discouraged her from getting on the couch or the bed. She just has no interest. I'm also wishing that when I came home from being out she got more enthusiastic. Maybe as time goes on she will. It took her months and months after adoption to even wag her tail when I walked in the door, and I admit as time passes, her personality continues to change.

You just described exactly how Franny is.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)

Missing my Bridge Babies:

Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10

Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

But she's not! By your own writing, she comes to you of her own volition for petting and attention. She asks you for it, and even puts herself in a vulnerable position to get it. She likes it or else she would just walk away. She worries when you're gone and is happier when you come back. She doesn't want you to leave without her.

What more would you like her to do? Be more excited when you come home? T&B has so many threads from people trying to calm their dogs down during greetings. Carry some treats for when you come home if you want more attention. Giving kisses? Only one of my greyhounds regularly licks us out of the 9 we've had. It's more likely to be a nose poke, or a hand nudge, or a lean, or even a love bite/nitting from the rest of them. Cuddling? How would she do this since she doesn't get on the furniture or bed? Do you regularly sit on the floor with her, or on her bed? Somewhere she would feel comfortable snuggling? Out of our 9 greyhounds, 3 have had pretty severe space aggression/sleep startle, so no bed snuggling there. One is a spook, and gets anxious if she feels closed in. We wait for her to come to us most of the time. Two are/were not furniture dogs either, so we lay down on the floor with them and do belly rubs and massages. They loved the special one-on-one time! One we didn't have long enough to find out about. Only 2 have been super cuddly snuggle bugs. And I spend most of the snuggle time trying to keep a foot or a butt out of my face!

Affection is a two way street. Maybe she would *like* to cuddle/snuggle and she just doesn't know how?

I admit I don't often get on the floor with her only because of my arthritis (I'm one of the older folk on here.. :-)). When I do, she tolerates whatever I do, but without seeming to care. She does get a lot of attention from me and I do carry treats all the time in one pocket or another so she gets them at proper reinforcement times. Seems I'm looking for more enthusiasm from her but it's probably not a part of who she is.

I'm glad to get the replies that point out how she is responding to me. I get a bit envious when I read about Greys who seem more gregarious toward their humans. Annie's just not one of the gregarious ones.

It took 3 years for Lexie to cuddle with us. Hang in there :beatheart

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

Marla, I have one hound like Annie. Goose and Maverick are IN.MY.FACE all the time. For pets and ear rubs and butt scritches and whatever. Fancy will come for attention occasionally, but loves to cuddle on the couch with you. If you sit there, she is on top of you. She also has to kiss you when you come home or when you wake up. Nothing like a facial at 5:00 am!

Brady is much more reserved. It took almost a year before I felt comfortable saying he was happy in my home. (He bounced to me at age 11.) His version of affection is to BARK at me until I can figure out what he wants. He will accept head and ear rubs but doesn't seek them out. I have found, however, that he really likes to have me sit on his bed in the evening, next to him and under a blanket, while he snoozes. He will occasionally rest his head on my leg or lay a paw across my lap. Melts me, every single time. But, it is not a common occurrence. I have learned to cherish each one since I never know when I will get my next fix, lol.

In a way, the affection that you have worked hardest to get is the one that is more poignant, if that makes sense. When he comes to me, I understand how much I mean to him. With Goose and Maverick, I am more like a treat machine or scratching post. Maverick would go with anyone and probably not even look back. At least Goose is shy enough that he prefers me simply because I am familiar!

I would be curious to see how Annie is in another 6 months. You really have to earn her trust and affection and it is so rewarding when she finally fully responds.

Good luck!

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Yah, maybe I'm wishing Annie was a climb-on-the-couch cuddler. I've not discouraged her from getting on the couch or the bed. She just has no interest. I'm also wishing that when I came home from being out she got more enthusiastic. Maybe as time goes on she will. It took her months and months after adoption to even wag her tail when I walked in the door, and I admit as time passes, her personality continues to change.

My bridge girl Sadi used to react to my returning home by opening one eye and giving a little sigh like "so you're back then"....not overly demonstrative but it has been one of the things that I have missed most since losing her last year.

I think with some Grey's it takes a long time and a great deal of interaction before certain behaviours are seen, if at all, but it is all part of a wonderful journey.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Ruby is EXACTLY like this too and I sometimes wonder if there is even a dog hiding in her fawn colored suit. She likes to be petted but would prefer to lay on her bed and be left alone. I too cannot get down on the floor too easily, but the rare occasions when I have, she just stays on her bed and sleeps. She reminds me more of a cat than a dog.

I keep telling my husband we need to get a real dog that plays and barks and begs for attention instead of this greyhound rug we have. But I love her and know if she did bug me all the time for attention, I would be going crazy.

Give your Annie a scritch for me............and count your blessings she isn't into the trouble most other dogs cause.

Karen

Guest Zizi

Jerzi is not a cuddler either! As of yet still hoping some day. We have only been together 9 months. She does go over the top when I come home. This always makes me nervous being we have hard woods and I am so afraid she will slip. It's truly the only time she will not listen to me. I use the word easy usually and she will slow right down and come to my side but not on my entrance!

Our Ruby is also very 'aloof'.

We've had her for 2.5 years.

She never climbs on the furniture...can't entice her up at all. She will lay on the 'dog futon' out in the mud room, but this is a very recent activity.

She likes to be in the same room as DH, and will frequently come to him for scritches, but she does not want to be cuddled.

At all.

She's always excited when either DH or I arrive home from work... or if she thinks we're going for a walkie (which have been practically non-existent this horrible winter).... or if food is involved.

She's a champion spinner and can leap several feet into the air...whilst spinning!!!

I often refer to her as our 'Kangaroo'...

She has some space issues if she's on a dog bed, especially if the Grandkids are here...they know they are not to ever, ever bother her.

We have never, ever heard her bark.

Never.

But...she can whine.....

And she does the most delightful teeth chattering!

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)

Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

NSK-Nov.jpg

None of my greys have been "climb on the couch" cuddlers. Fletcher, who was a velcro dog, my heart dog, who adored me and had to be in whatever room I was in, did not cuddle, and actually would look annoyed if I got on his couch :rolleyes: . Sallie is affectionate, and my new girl Charley is turning into a velcro dog who gives kisses :wub: , she may end up a cuddler, but not so far. I think in part it is because I wouldn't like a clingy, needy dog. One of the things I like about greyhounds is their cat like independence.

Oh, and for coming home, Fletcher was always excited to see me, but I used to accuse the girls of taking turns, one would get up to greet me while the other one stayed on her bed :lol

Paige is still a bit like this. I've leaned that to get a more excited response from her, I need to give one. So if I feel like Paigie snuggles when I get home, I call her in an excited baby voice and get very excited. Her face lights up and she's delighted and rushes towards me for a couple of seconds before lizard hunting. If you really want her on the furniture, could you lift her up?

Spriet is not a cuddler. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old and only the last couple of months she seems to ask for attention a bit more. Spriet is pretty outgoing and loves to get attention from other people, but to me she doesn't show it much. She doesnt give kisses and seems not to care when I get home. The last couple of months this improved a bit, now she will sometimes come to me to ask for attention or she wil give me a paw if I stop petting her. I learned to notice the small signs that she does like to get my attention. Some dogs are just not so affectionate or don't show they like it.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Fundraiser for the Greyhounds in Ireland: click here!

Guest IrskasMom

Feisty you are not alone . My Morty just comes and puts his Head between my Knees for Ear Scritches. The same with me , I can't go on the Floor because I am to from the older Generation (72 ) . He does not go on Furniture , not on Bed , does not Counter Surf. Never had an Accident in the House . Just gives me the Sad Eyes if I don't take him . The perfect Dog for 8 + Years , just not a cuddler.

Edited by IrskasMom

I've had 5 greyhounds and Princess is the only one who just demands attention and can't seem to get enough of it. She follows me from room to room and have very intense eye contact, but is not much of a tail wagger at all. I've always considered her the least "greyhound-like" of all my greyhounds. :lol Even though she's attention who#@,she used to growl if I tried to cuddle with her. She doesn't do this now, but then I've had her 7 years. Carly is very waggy and playbows when I come home, but she doesn't follow me, and is typically sleeping in a different room. After having her for almost 8 years, she will sometimes come to me and lift her paw to ask me to pet her.

I've had 5 greyhounds and Princess is the only one who just demands attention and can't seem to get enough of it. She follows me from room to room and has very intense eye contact, but is not much of a tail wagger at all. I've always considered her the least "greyhound-like" of all my greyhounds. :lol Even though she's attention who#@, she used to growl if I tried to cuddle with her. She doesn't do this now, but then I've had her 7 years. Carly is very waggy and playbows when I come home, but she doesn't follow me and is typically sleeping in a different room. After having her for almost 8 years, she will sometimes come to me and lift her paw which means she wants me to pet her.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My Max was very much like this. He was a big sucky mama's boy, but not in a cuddly way. He didn't get up on furniture with us. He would get in bed but usually would get off during the night at some point. He liked to be touching us with a paw but not super close. He was generally ambivalent if I got down on the floor with him to cuddle - he didn't run away but he wasn't super excited about it either. But he always wanted to be where we were. Would be happy to see us when we got home but not in a crazy, lab-type way! I often feel that they are rather cat-like in their behaviour - just a different way of showing their affection. Which is one of the things I love about greyhounds; I don't want to be mauled when I get home!

Max got a bit more snuggly as he got older - we had him for 9 years...she may become more cuddly yet - but maybe this is her way of showing her love!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

My Max was very much like this. He was a big sucky mama's boy, but not in a cuddly way. He didn't get up on furniture with us. He would get in bed but usually would get off during the night at some point. He liked to be touching us with a paw but not super close. He was generally ambivalent if I got down on the floor with him to cuddle - he didn't run away but he wasn't super excited about it either. But he always wanted to be where we were. Would be happy to see us when we got home but not in a crazy, lab-type way! I often feel that they are rather cat-like in their behaviour - just a different way of showing their affection. Which is one of the things I love about greyhounds; I don't want to be mauled when I get home!

Max got a bit more snuggly as he got older - we had him for 9 years...she may become more cuddly yet - but maybe this is her way of showing her love!

This is true. One of the reasons I love Greys is that usually they're not Lab or Golden like, though maybe there's a happy medium? As others above have pointed out, Annie actually does reveal affection, in her own way. My cat is way more affectionate than Annie Banannie Whiskery Face. She, Penny-the-cat, can drive me to distraction sometimes with the way she is. And everybody's right about not wanting to be mauled or jumped on. Again, I guess I'm looking for something in between.

However my girl is, is the way I love her. More than not, she does fit my home and personality and that of visiting family members because she's so laid back.

Guest PiagetsMom

I'd love to have a cuddler, but I've yet to have one, although in the Piaget's last months she became very affectionate. Mirage likes to be close, but on his terms. Maya.......I haven't quite figured out yet what she's really comfortable with, and she's been with me for over 2 years. I hope it won't always be that way. She does give kisses, and allows short "lovings" when she's standing up, so that's something.

Guest goofydog

Get Em is very similar to Annie and several others. He could be called aloof, however I prefer independent :wub: Most of the time I feel I'm only needed for meals, treats and potty time! I will say he is a total momma's boy and must know what room I'm in at all times when I'm home. After almost 10 years together he doesn't insist in being in the same room but he will check in to make sure I haven't changed rooms while he snoozed. He will also not allow a closed door between us. Found this out the hard way after he deconstructed a door jamb!

He meets me at the door all wiggly and jumping when I come home. Work day or 15 minute errand it's the same. No furniture or human beds by his choice. Only recently has had a couple of indoor accidents of the yellow liquid type. I attribute that to his age and early stage kidney disease.

At the dog park he didn't even look back to see where I was. His independence shone through while there. I would have to follow him while he checked and left peemail. Folks always commented on how he would just wander off, and not to meet other dogs, just to wander around. Maybe he expected me to follow him anywhere :hehe and knows I will!

I have one Greyhound with an enormous space bubble and 3 (plus a Galgo) that sleep practically stacked on top of each other or my husband and me. The one who dislikes snuggling gets very affectionate when something is wrong, and we have caught illnesses and other issues very early because of it. The conversation at the vet is always entertaining.

Vet or tech: So, you think he's sick?

Me: Yup, pretty sure of it.
Vet or tech: What symptoms does he have?

Me: Affection

By now my vet office knows that I know my dogs that well and don't question anymore :lol:

Edited by GreytHoundPoet