Could Use Some Good Thoughts For My Old Girl

Guest KiKi_Girl

Guest KiKi_Girl

Hi all! I haven't been on this forum for quite some time but have been a member for over 11 years. Thankfully I have not had to post here often.

I just wanted to ask for some good thoughts for my old girl, KiKi, today. She just turned 12 last month and for the most part has been in fairly good health. She was diagnosed with LS in Jan 2013 when we lived in Chicago, and was started on Rimadyl (50mg bid) and Gabapentin (100mg bid) with good results up until 5-6 days ago.

She has really started to have a hard time getting up from lying down, with very little strength in her hind legs. Now her front legs and shoulders have started shaking a lot when standing or walking. In addition, she has been off her food; she is eating a little every day but not much and she is not a dog that is tempted with what would be deemed tasty treats. I can tell she just doesn't feel well at all.

I took her to the vet today (we are now in London - having been here for about a year). The vet could tell she was in quite a bit of pain and while she still does the collapse when her lumbar spine is manipulated, now she is also demonstrating quite a bit of pain in the upper portion of her back. I am taking her back tomorrow where they will lightly sedate her and do a full spinal x-ray to rule out tumor or other obvious spinal abnormalities. We also started her on Tramadol 100mg bid.

It is so hard watching her get older. :cry1

See if you can get her on Robaxin, a muscle relaxer, to use in conjunction with the gabapentin. That has made a huge difference for my 12.7 YO LS boy. How much gabapentin is she taking and how often? Greys do better if it is every 8 hours. Brady takes 200 mg each time.

Gentle scritches to your girl.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest KiKi_Girl

See if you can get her on Robaxin, a muscle relaxer, to use in conjunction with the gabapentin. That has made a huge difference for my 12.7 YO LS boy. How much gabapentin is she taking and how often? Greys do better if it is every 8 hours. Brady takes 200 mg each time.

Gentle scritches to your girl.

Thanks, I will suggest that to the vet tomorrow depending on what our findings are. She is currently only on 100mg of the Gabapentin twice a day, which I know is a low dose. My vet in Chicago started her low so we could go up from there.

It is times like these I wish I was back in the states so we could visit our long-time vet, who also had greys of her own.

I hope you can find something to make her feel better. I too have had some good results with Robaxin (Methocarbamol).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I concur with the above suggestions for methocarbamol -- it's helped Aston quite a bit (at 500mg 2x/day).

Aston was diagnosed with LS in April 2013. He was stable, but visibly getting gradually weaker as the year wore on, until he started suffering major bouts of weakness (as in barely able to walk due to his hind end falling into a near-squat) in late December. An acupuncturist issued B12 injections in many points along his hind end + legs, which stopped the major weakness bouts, and then he underwent a 4-week series of Adequan injections (2x/week). I believe the Adequan helped greatly -- his hind end no longer starts to sink immediately when he is standing in one place -- he can stand now for an extended duration, albeit eventually shakily. He is still okay if we keep him moving on walks.

He has also been on gabapentin (300mg 2x/daily) and tramadol (100mg 2x/daily). I am not sure whether these have helped in general for LS, but I am afraid to try to take him off of them if they are not doing any harm otherwise.

A hug for you, and scritches for your girl. It is so very hard. :cry1:grouphug

:grouphug Here's hoping that you and your vet can come up with something to make her more comfortable...I went through a similar situation with my precious girl last year so know how helpless you feel.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Good thoughts for Kiki

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

Something else to consider:

Please be aware that Rimadyl toxicity can produce the new symptoms that you are observing. With long-term use, rimadyl can induce liver toxicity or kidney toxicity. When was the last time your vet checked KiKi's blood chemistry?

There have been a few threads about rimadyl toxicity on GreyTalk: Rimadyl, Eliza.

Symptoms of rimadyl toxicity in dogs.

If you haven't had blood chemistry tests recently, would suggest that it would be good to do.

Sending best wishes for your girl :grouphug

Guest BiancasMom

I would suggest discontinuing the Rimadyl to see if her appetite returns. It can cause GI signs/ulcers. I was going to say ask for Tramadol but I see you got it!

Guest KiKi_Girl

So good news…if worsening of a chronic condition is good news. :)

The narrowing of her lumbar vertebrae in the original location has worsened a bit and there is a new area at her L7-S1 junction. So she is experiencing quite a bit of nerve pain. Along with that, she is having significant muscle spasms along the whole of her back causing even more pain.

So we are increasing her Gabapentin and adding Tramadol.

I asked about muscle relaxers and she said she was so weak in the back that she was afraid she would hurt herself trying to get up if we relaxed her muscle any more. So she suggested acupuncture for the muscle spasms.

She is resting from the sedative for her x-rays. Thank you all again for your wishes. Hopefully I will have my happy girl back to feeling somewhat better again soon.

Guest KiKi_Girl

Thanks again for all the well wishes and ideas. Her back does seem to be feeling better today but we had a long night. She had a bout of urine incontinence shortly after coming home, which I thought might be a one-off from the sedative. Unfortunately that was not the case and she had 2 more episodes even with me taking her out in between one episode.

I called the vet just to let her know. We both thought maybe it was an aggravated a nerve. Thankfully there has been no incontinence today but she has come down with a wicked UTI…the first in her 12 years. I got a clean catch and so we are sending it off for culture and sensitivity and I've started her on an antibiotic.

Poor girl just can't catch a break.

BTW…I have contacted an acupuncturist so hopefully we can start treatment soon.

I hope this gives your girl some relief. :goodluck It is so very hard to watch and makes ones feels very helpless. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown