Partial Blackened Gums, Panting And Shivering

sonya

:( I was really worried about Cinnibuns last night who will be 10 in April. She started shivering, panting and her gums in the front were partially black. She doesn't like blankets or her coat but seemed to be content with a blanket wrapped around her. She would really shiver for a few seconds and then stop but start up again. She did finally settle down and seemed OK when she wanted out @ 2 AM. Today the gums are not nearly as black as last night and she seems to be fine. I did notice yesterday that one of her poops was different than usual. Much smaller and mucousy. Anyone have similar experience? This just might warrant a vet visit...any thoughts??? Thanks for any ideas or thoughts. :)

Odd-colored gums alone tend to send poor Aston to the vet (though my vet did note that pale gums can be due to cold -- not sure what suddenly-black gums might signify). I'd probably go for peace of mind.
With Aston, panting in the absence of too-warm conditions usually means something is making him at least uncomfortable if not painful (unless he's on prednisone, which initially causes panting anyway).

I've read that leptospirosis can cause dark red speckles on gums + shivering, but there are usually many more systemic symptoms, like fever and more gastric upset.

A hug for you, and scritches for Cinnibuns. :heart:grouphug

Edit: Aston also pants when he's anxious or excited. However, if he's panting at a quiet time in the absence of stressors, it's usually discomfort.

Edited by o_rooly

:( I was really worried about Cinnibuns last night who will be 10 in April. She started shivering, panting and her gums in the front were partially black. She doesn't like blankets or her coat but seemed to be content with a blanket wrapped around her. She would really shiver for a few seconds and then stop but start up again. She did finally settle down and seemed OK when she wanted out @ 2 AM. Today the gums are not nearly as black as last night and she seems to be fine. I did notice yesterday that one of her poops was different than usual. Much smaller and mucousy. Anyone have similar experience? This just might warrant a vet visit...any thoughts??? Thanks for any ideas or thoughts. :)

I wish I could help, but it would probably be a good idea to call your vet, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I agree. Vet visit. Panting in absence of heat is usually a sign of pain, but could also be anxiety. The gum color would worry me.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Another opinion a vet visit is in order. A change in gum colour is never good and not something to wait on. Hope your girl is okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry about your girl :sad1 Not a doctor but just had a "thought" Maybe it is a weird one.

Could the "shivering then panting" be kind of "similar" to what humans do when they run a fever? We get "chills" which makes us shiver and we want blankets and then we are hot. We try to bring our fevers down.

She's shivering and wants a blanket. Then she's panting.

Since dogs can't express "hot" except by panting is this maybe symptoms of running a fever and panting to "cool" herself? :dunno

Black gums and abnormal poop definitely sounds "unusual" especially combined with the other symptoms you described.

I would take her to the vet.

I hope she's o.k.

Edited by zoesmommy

I'd take my dog to an evet with those symptoms, if you have a decent one available to you. Otherwise, I'd take her in first thing in the AM. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.