Flea And Tick

Guest alvav

Hi. Just got our sweetheart and have been looking up as much info on this as possible. I was pretty well settled on Comfortis but it doesn't help with ticks. And we just removed a tick today, despite it being February in Montreal!! Anyone using comfortis have a suggestion for ticks?

Guest carriej

I just went through ticks, and I'M IN NEW BRUNSWICK. Also on a new dog.

Nothing chemical worked. I just aggressively cleaned my house and checked for ticks 3x a day. Drowned them in alcohol and hoped for the best. I have not seen any in a few weeks, so I am hoping the demons are gone. We did treat around baseboards, etc with raid.

I also put diatomaceous earth around...

But as for puppers, there was nothing safe we could use on him that worked I could find, or that was safe for the kitties.

We tried advantage and revolution; but they did not even slow the ticks...

Edited by carriej

Advantage doesn't "do" ticks and Revolution only does the American dog tick.. Advantix K9 does various ticks (deer ticks, American dog ticks, brown dog tick and Lone Star ticks) and, as long as your kitty doesn't groom your dog, you're supposedly okay using it.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Clawsandpaws

I have been using Advantix with my dog. We also have a cat, but they aren't friends, so I'm not worried about her ingesting it. However, I do take precautions. When I use the advantix on Dudley, I do it outside of the house, since he always shakes his body when he gets wet. I also try to keep him out of the house for a few hours, at least an hour. We go shopping, to the park, etc. To let the stuff settle.

Have you tried Frontline Plus? Don't know if it is available in your area. It treats fleas and ticks. It has worked great for me, but I do know that there are some people say it has quit working for them. Good luck.

We only found the one tick on her. No idea where she could've gotten it as it's -10 degrees outside. It was one day after bringing her home from the adoption shelter. Should I be worried about there being more? I didn't think that they laid eggs,etc like fleas. I'm getting worried.

Oh, and you can use Frontline and Comfortis together as long as there is about a week between uses.

We only found the one tick on her. No idea where she could've gotten it as it's -10 degrees outside. It was one day after bringing her home from the adoption shelter. Should I be worried about there being more? I didn't think that they laid eggs,etc like fleas. I'm getting worried.

Where did she come from? She probably brought it with her. I'd keep a close watch and inspect her for ticks often.

Edited by june

Based on the opinion of our vet, we now use Vectra3D for fleas, ticks, mosquitos, etc. We decided to use it because it's non-systemic... meaning that it doesn't go into the blood stream. We do have to apply it at the start of a long hike or outing because it is toxic to cats. However, if we're out for a good 3 hours (pretty average for a Saturday morning around here), we have nothing to worry about... especially because our kitty and puppies aren't cuddlers with one another.

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

Guest carriej

As far as I know, frontline, etc are not available here in Canada - or at least anywhere I called/looked.

Also; I have found some other ones but apparently the "good stuff" the kills ticks is replaced/removed in the Canadian versions and they don't do anything.

My vet did have a collar; but she said she will not give it to those with cats as she had one case where a cat laid on the same blanket the dog was laying on, and the cat almost died. If you don't have cats; no worries at all though.

Edited by carriej

• 2 months later...

As far as I know, frontline, etc are not available here in Canada - or at least anywhere I called/looked.

Also; I have found some other ones but apparently the "good stuff" the kills ticks is replaced/removed in the Canadian versions and they don't do anything.

My vet did have a collar; but she said she will not give it to those with cats as she had one case where a cat laid on the same blanket the dog was laying on, and the cat almost died. If you don't have cats; no worries at all though.

I was hunting around in these threads to see if there's any information about Advantix II being unsafe for greyhounds (it was something I heard today so I wanted to do some research -- note that this is about Advantix II, **NOT** regular Advantix) and spotted your comment about the good stuff that kills ticks being replaced/removed in the Canadian version. Can you tell me more? -- the sole reason that I use K9 Advantix along with Hearguard, instead of using Revolution, is for the tick protection. But if I'm not actually getting that ingredient in the Canadian K9 Advantix, then there's absolutely no point in using it.

Lisa B.

I was hunting around in these threads to see if there's any information about Advantix II being unsafe for greyhounds (it was something I heard today so I wanted to do some research -- note that this is about Advantix II, **NOT** regular Advantix) and spotted your comment about the good stuff that kills ticks being replaced/removed in the Canadian version. Can you tell me more? -- the sole reason that I use K9 Advantix along with Hearguard, instead of using Revolution, is for the tick protection. But if I'm not actually getting that ingredient in the Canadian K9 Advantix, then there's absolutely no point in using it.

I don't know what "good" ingredient you guys are talking about. As far as I know it is the same. K9 Advantix in Canada is labelled to be effective against all of our tick species. I have not heard/read anything about it being unsafe for sighthounds and our Bayer rep did not mention any contraindications either (except for cats obviously).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Krissy, I'm very glad to hear it's the same product! Can you tell me... someone today mentioned that K9 Advantix II (vs regular K9 Advantix) is unsafe due to the extra ingredient which is added as a biting insect repellent. I believe the added ingredient is pyriproxyfen. I wanted to see if my vet would order Advantix II for me this year instead of the regular Advantix but obviously I don't want it if it's remotely unsafe.

Lisa B.

Krissy, I'm very glad to hear it's the same product! Can you tell me... someone today mentioned that K9 Advantix II (vs regular K9 Advantix) is unsafe due to the extra ingredient which is added as a biting insect repellent. I believe the added ingredient is pyriproxyfen. I wanted to see if my vet would order Advantix II for me this year instead of the regular Advantix but obviously I don't want it if it's remotely unsafe.

I will try to call Bayer on Tuesday when I'm back at work. My understanding is that the pyriproxyfen is added to control the immature flea stages (eggs and larvae). The pyriproxyfen falls off with dead skin cells. It was also added to Advantage (but not Advantage Multi) to make Advantage II. As far as I know it is safe for sighthounds, but I will make a specific inquiry on Tuesday.

ETA: and if it wasn't safe for sighthounds you would have no tick product. With the II products on the market the original Advantage/Advantix are no longer available once the current supply runs out. Luckily I don't think it matters.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!