Housebreaking With Seperation Anxiety.

I adopted my new girl last week. she is greyt. She is my fourth greyhound..but my only one now. My first girl Missy ( I lost her about one month ago) was my only one that came directly from the track. the other two were "returns" and basically were trained. Missy was very easy to train. She hated the crate..so we gated her in the den when not home/watching her. She was easy. this new girl is young (2), and much more active than Missy ever was! We adopted her in 2004, but I don't remember having pee accidents in the house..

Cozett also hates her crate.. I am doing the whole "good treats in the crate, not only when I am away, etc. she is having accidents in the crate. I am sure it is due to stress. I am in contact with my very helpful and knowledgeable adoption group. When she is out of the crate, she is very happy and calm. She is still following me around. Today I left her for 10 minutes not crated with treat..then later 20 minutes..then later an hour. One of times she peed on the carpet. I checked each time I came home..but didn't notice it until later. I am rewarding her with small training treats outside..I know how to housebreak....but I am torn..because she is so stressed when alone ( am leaving tv/music on). I would stay home with her to work on housebreaking, but fear that will only make her separation anxiety worse, as she has to accept being alone.

I know I have only had her one week...and am very patient. I am confident we will work it out. I am already in love with her!

Check my post in H&M regarding Trazodone. Ask your vet if you can try it while Clomicalm or Prozac (if you are considering those) kicks in. It may help her to relax enough to begin to get the alone training.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congrats on your new addition!

Regarding the accidents, can you set up a webcam to see what she's doing when you're leaving so you can figure out if this is simply a housetraining issue or she is developing SA? That would be my highest priority. If you have a built in webcam on your laptop you can use that. If not, you can get an inexpensive one for about $20 and then use Ustream with either to be able to watch live. They have an app you can download to your phone so you can watch that way, or via another computer (for instance if you go to work).

Sometimes there are simple fixes for SA issues, but you need to know if she's anxious to start with. :)

In the meantime, lots of exercise. With a greyhound that young, that would mean long walks daily (I'd shoot for an hour plus shorter potty walks) and runs off leash in a fenced in area at least a couple of times a week if not more. Make sure you're giving her ample time to empty out before you leave the house. And give something she can work on when you leave - a kong stuffed with something soft mixed with kibble and frozen (once you're confident she gets the idea and will work on them when you're present) to calm her as you leave. Concentrating on something like that, especially something that uses their hunting for food instincts really calms them so that by the time she's done, she may not care as much that you're gone.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If she hates the crate -- if it appears to make her more anxious and fussy -- I wouldn't put her in it. You could put treats in it and toys, and feed her in it if you like, but I wouldn't shut her in.

I would work on housetraining first.

A dog new to a home has to learn so much. I try to focus on just one thing at a time (not always possible, I know).

Congratulations on your new girl, and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Congratulations on your new girl. Some great suggestions above. I just wanted to remind you that the more stressed you get the more stressed she will get. Remember to breath and be calm.

thank you all. I know it is SA..when I am home she goes to the door and asks to go out. I blew it tonight. We had to go out.. I couldn't bear to put her in the crate..she was chewing the bars. I went out in the yard with her..she peed and pooped. I left her in my den with two baby gates stacked. (she jumps one). I left her with a highly desired bull stick, kong with peanut butter. We came home two hours later..she had managed to get the top gate down..jumped the bottom gate. peed and pooped, pulled my curtains down upstairs.

I know she sensed my frustration. I did have a tall walk through gate..but lent it to someone, and they "lost" it. but I am thinking any type of enclosure will spook her..

Edited by dbullwinkel

Congratulations on your new adoption of Cozett! :)

If you have the luxury of doing much shorter alone training sessions, it could help a lot. Try to keep her calm and under threshold during alone training. (Two hours feels like an eternity to a new anxious dog.) I agree with continued focus on housetraining too.

Alone training for some dogs requires thinking in terms of stepping out of dog's sight for only seconds at a time, particularly a newly retired hound who has never been alone in her life.

Great to give her the yummy workable treat (stuffed Kong) every time you leave her sight. Be sure to quietly pick up the Kong immediately upon your return to the room. No fanfare. The yummy Kong is only provided as her special alone treat.

Slowly build up alone time from seconds to a minute, two minutes, etc. without letting her go beyond her threshold. (Ideally, dog should not feel any anxiety during alone training.)

After dog feels calm and relaxed for up to 20 minutes repeatedly, then lengthening the alone training time beyond 20 mins. usually begins to go faster. Important to not rush building up to 20 minutes of calm alone time.

(BTW, I don't recommend leaving a dog unsupervised with a Bully Stick. They can be a choke hazard.)

Begin to create brief separations from her without you leaving the house/property.

-Go to the bathroom alone for a few seconds, close the baby-gate behind you, leaving her on the opposite side.

-Briefly sit in a room on the opposite side of the baby-gate. (She can see you but closed gate ensures extra physical space between the two of you.)

-When she's resting on her dog bed in the same room with you, try to locate her bed farther away from your chair.

- Go into other rooms alone for very brief periods.

Some of her following you inside the house is fine since she's still learning about her new home/family, but it's important to begin teaching her you'll be right back within seconds multiple times per day every day.

Helpful if you are moving in/out of rooms so frequently that she begins to find your daily movements so boring that she relaxes on her own comfy bed without feeling like you'll leave her forever if she isn't glued to your side, and/or watching your every breath.

Anxiety is fear-based and many dogs feeling anxious are not physically able to hold urine and/or bowel as well as they normally can while feeling calm. (Similar to a person needing to urinate frequently before public speaking.) Anxiety often begins building as dogs notice pre-departure signals (like human getting dressed). Planning 2 (or 3) elimination outings before a departure helps. If she goes outside to eliminate 30 minutes before you leave, let her out again immediately before you depart. Helpful to watch dog eliminate vs. just letting her outside.

(If there's an accident inside, please ask everyone in the house to be careful to not scold her. Scolding compounds and prolongs the problem by magnifying fear and anxiety.)

One idea is to close all upstairs doors, dog-proof downstairs and muzzle her during your actual absences. Leave window coverings open so she can see outside without damaging them.

You may already be doing this, but I find it helpful to take new fosters outside for potty breaks a lot more often than usual.

Day 1: Elimination opportunity every 2 hours during day.

First week or more: Elimination opportunity every 3 hours during day.

Good luck.

Yeah, if she's chewing on bars and such, you really don't want to crate her. Can be distressing to clean up accidents or household damage but it beats having to rush a dog to the vet with broken teeth and a bleeding mouth or worse.

Hope some alone training helps her to settle.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When you gated her, did she have access to the door you leave and enter through? I realize this is rare and I am lucky, but ultimately Violet just needed to be able to come to the front door to watch for me if she started to get worried. That and she wanted to be in my bedroom where Zuri was crated. So what I thought was an issue with the crate was actually an issue because the crate was preventing those things from happening. Not suggesting you try crating her again, but wondering if the baby gate is still more confinement than she can handle. Otherwise, the only immediate fix may be another dog. Or its the potentially long road of alone training and possibly medication. There are a few natural things you could try right away. I'd start with a DAP collar and an l-theanine supplement (Anxitane is the dog version, available on Amazon or you can buy human capsules and dose accordingly, which is what I do). I would do both and if she improves after some time has passed, you can wean her off of one and see what happens.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am from school this week...will give me time to work on it. I have already started keeping a chart..and ignoring before and after I leave. I say "watch the house" ..and leave. I give her a small treat or kong. she is up to 1min 10 seconds. I am trying to be sure to go in before she starts to whine.

in between when not "ignoring" I am playing with her...taking her outside..problem is we have so much snow..

What is the dose of l-theanine for a 60 lb dog?

I will also be calling the adoption group later to let her know how we are doing

Since I had suggested trazodone, if you do try it along with prozac please be alert to possible drug interactions. This link shows Truman's problem:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305334-urgent-need-advice-for-truman/?do=findComment&comment=5657541

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What is the dose of l-theanine for a 60 lb dog?

I will also be calling the adoption group later to let her know how we are doing

That's right on the cusp of the 2 dosages (the cutpoint is 55 lbs). Violet weighs around 60-64 lb and I went with 100 mg 2x/day. Figured we could back off if needed, but we were pretty desperate for a solution to her car anxiety. I've kept her on that dose because she does well on it and you can't really find 50 mg capsules for people (Anxitane is a lot more expensive).

Here are the capsules I order from Amazon (it's a one month supply at the dosage we're using):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUH8W/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For comparison, the Anxitane:

which is a 30 day supply at the lower dose, or a 15 day supply at the higher dose (so for us $60/mo vs $10/mo :blink:). Hope that helps.
Edited by NeylasMom

Thank you. After speaking with adoption group yesterday, i purchases 41" tall swing gate for the den, where her bed, crate and couch is. I began working on her being in there with me with the gate closed. then without me with the gated closed...making the gate being closed no big deal. She is fine with that when she sees me. She only whines when doesn't see me..I left her crate up..but she hasn't gone near it in two days. I left her this am..she started whining/barking at two minutes. I waited until 5..came in when she was quite, didn't go right the the gate. after a few minutes, I took her out (still quiet) and let her in the yard. I will continue this all day...glad I am on school vacation!

I also ignore her following me around...hopefully to bore her.

she is a happy, funny girl. In my heart I know another dog would be very helpful, but I am trying to "appease" my husband by having just one (even for a while)...he loves her!

adoption rep said to muzzle her..but I am not trying that yet as she is enjoying getting a treat when I leave. We are taking good walks as well...bonding that way and tiring her out!

We have a initial vet appt. Wednesday, I will discuss her behavior with my vet..but I am not jumping at meds right away..need to give her time. She is a smart girl..I just have to use it!

One question: has anyone used a thunder shirt for SA? I had one for my Ig..when he became very nervous due to blindess/dearfness. I didn't see a benefit. But being a teacher of children with autism...I totally "get" the reasoning behind it.

Edited by dbullwinkel

It never hurts to try things like that, but I've not had success with it for SA specifically. Anxitane is not a drug btw, it's purely an amino acid, l-theanine. There's no danger to trying it. Same with the DAP collars. Those worked very well for Zuri. To this day he still wears them and I know when its time for a new one based on how his behavior changes. If it were me, I would be using every tool in my arsenal and then removing things later once she's doing well. 2 weeks isn't that long of a time to progress through alone training and if things aren't okay by the time your vacation is over, you're looking at an expensive daycare option, medication, or a dog who could seriously injure herself.

Thank you. WE have a vet appt. tonight. i will discuss everything with my vet. In my heart..I know getting her another dog would be a simple and easy solution.. but my husband really wants to try to have one for various reasons. But, today was not a good day...I am getting frustrated and I think she senses it. she managed to loosen the gate from the doorway and slip out. I was only gone for ten minutes, so no damage done. I then screwed the gate to the doorway. I am following all the suggestions..the next time she was alone, she couldnt get the gate down, but half-way knocked the radiator cover over..I actually think she has regressed. Maybe because I am home...She "mounted" me a few times today...she obviously thinks I am a dog. I said a firm "No' and pushed her away. She is following me more..that had decreased. Adoption rep also suggested we might need some medical intervention, even short term She wants me to call her tonight after the appt. I will discuss, l-theanine, DAP, and medication such as prozac.. I know all meds take time to get into their system and take effect..

Getting another dog isn't a guarantee, it's helps some dogs, doesn't help others. So I wouldn't worry too much about that, I would just focus on helping your girl.

The mounting doesn't have anything to do with her thinking you're dog. My guess is it's an arousal/excitement behavior. Your best bet for eliminating it is to ignore it COMPLETELY. Go into the bathroom and close the door for a few seconds if you need to, or just turn your back, cross your arms and avoid eye contact until she stops.

My research indicated that l-theanine builds in the system but I saw almost instantaneous results with Violet fwiw.

Have you tried leaving her loose with no barriers at all? I would be sure the confinement isn't the issue before you start exploring other options.

You can give treats, even a Kong, with a kennel muzzle on.

Does the weather allow for some long walks or other good exercise (chasing snowballs in the backyard)? That can help a lot.

I know you've housebroken dogs before. Just a friendly reminder :) that a new dog may have to go out a LOT. In early days, I take mine out @ every 1.5 - 2.0 hours and we don't come in until they have peed and maybe pooped too. A dog with separation anxiety can almost always squeeze out a little something, but there is a limit and emptier is better :) .

If I am home with a new dog, I'll often use a portable baby gate to block the dog into whatever room I'm working/hanging out in. Easier than leash bonding but still lets me keep an eye on potential potty behavior.

we are walking two-three times a day..she is still learning :). There is so much snow in the back yard..we try to play, but it is nearly impossible. she loved the fresh snow this morning! she literally flies over a baby gate! She wants no part of any treat when I am not with her..last week when I was working..I would come home at lunch..nothing touched. stubborn girl.

I completely understand your frustration and concern, particularly about the lack of interest in alone treats. (Dogs feeling extremely anxious often don't feel comfortable enough to eat. They will eat as their comfort level increases.)

I agree, in your situation, that veterinary prescribed meds could help her relax to be receptive to learning that it's okay to be alone. Your vet can prescribe a short-acting med, coupled with long-term med.

You are doing great to try to get her accustomed to spending time in the (hopefully heavily used) den/family room, or at least the full downstairs (with upstairs doors closed).

Feed all her meals in that den (to make it her happy and safe area) -- whether in the room or inside her open door crate. Fine for you to stay in the room so she stays relaxed enough to eat.

A great sign is when you offer a peanut butter stuffed Kong for short training (seconds, eventually up to minutes) while you leave the room (still in her sight is okay for now) and she is more interested in licking the stuffing out vs. showing more concern for your whereabouts. Pick up Kong every time you walk back in the room.

Muzzle becomes most important when you have a "real departure" from the house/property (for her own safety and the safety of your home).

Thundershirt doesn't do much for our hound, but they do have a return policy for people who don't have success within a month or so.

If needed, it might help to borrow a friend's longer-retired Greyhound just to see if it relaxes your girl more during her transition as an only dog. Another working person might "share" their Greyhound with you on workdays.

Where is she sleeping at night, and how is that working?

BTW, newly retired hounds' paw pads are more tender, so good to clean off snow after walks (if you're not already doing that). :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Most dogs won't go over a gate to get *away* from you :) . Just an option for keeping her close by so you can head off any potty problems.

we had a good talk with our vet tonight. We are going to try DAP. ( I got a diffuser at Petco) will find the spray and/or collar tomorrow. starting on Clomicalm (got generic at pharmacy) and melatonin. She said to start her on those two.see how she handles them and then add in the amino acid. It will obviously take a few weeks to see if clomicalm helps. She thinks it is safer to crate her (for now) for her safety. I forgot to ask about short term (such as benedryl). I will give her a call in the morning.

on the way out another greyhound came in..she ran right over...and looked so happy. Then she spotted a small dog..and that got her attention. They couldn't believe how active she is and they see many, many greyhounds. we talked about a second dog. My vet said there is no guarrentee that the separation anxiety will decrease or stop. She recommended having one come to visit and test it out..from her reaction to the other grey, i think it would, but I am hesistant to bring another dog into the house with Cozett being so "needy"..

I am trying to make her crate "the" place for all things good..

Agree that she's probably not eating because she's so stressed. Glad you have a plan to work with her and I think getting her on a med like Chlomicalm isn't a bad idea. Most dogs do just fine on those shorter term (or even longer term really).

Two things - I'm not sure I'm on board with your vet's advice re: the crate unless you plan to muzzle her (and secure the muzzle by looping it through a flat collar) while crated. She can hurt herself and do damage either crated or uncrated, but she is more likely to do damage to your stuff uncrated and herself crated imho. Not to scare you, but I have seen what happens when a dog chews its way through the bars of a metal crate and then lacerates himself on them while climbing out. If she's not eating though, I might muzzle her regardless.

Second, I know I sound like a pusher, but I would personally try l-theanine before I try melatonin. That's just based on my own experience so take it fwiw. Totally understandable if you just want to go with your vet's advice. The other option is to do both, you should run that by your vet, but again, better to get more things that might help on board and remove things once she's calm than the other way around.

Good luck, and keep us posted. And please don't beat yourself up, you're doing a great job staying on top of this. SA is tough!

I fed her in her crate this morning. Then she went in on her own. Now she is cheewing her bull stick with the door closed.i sat in room for a while..no attention and now am walking in and out. I think I will get the l-theanine today, vet said it was fine, but more familiar with melatonin.. When I went to drug store last night..she cried about ten minutes..then jumped up and sat with my husband. Not that I wanted him to baby her....but, hopefully if she can calm down in ten minutes or so, hopefully we will succeed. I will try her muzzle later. I feel kind of dumb...being a special education , this should all e "natural" to me..and have never struggled with dog behavior like this before! Like we say in education:if the student isn't learning, look at what you (the teacher) need to change ...

Edited by dbullwinkel