Anyone Know Anything About Authority Food From Petsmart?

When I was checking out yesterday, the couple in front of me were talking about switching from Iams to Authority. They were on their way out the door when I heard that, so I didn't hear any of the reasons for the switch. I usually shop at Petco, but I think Authority is Petsmart's own brand??? I get my dog food from Costco, but I'm always on the lookout for something more local in case I run out between trips to Costco. I looked at the Iams green bag that is often mentioned here, but most bags are marked for ages 1-6 or 1-7.

There seem to be several varieties of green bag. My dogs are ages 5,7,9,9, and 11. Things were easier last year when the ages were 10 through 13.

Summer eats Iams green bag and she's almost 9. I am not concerned that the bag has an age range written on it. She likes it and does well on it, that's all I care about.

Authority is indeed at Petsmart. The regular dry food has a 3-star rating on dogfoodadvisor.com, if that helps you. As does Iams Pro-Active Health (the infamous green bag). I see there's also a grain free if you're into that. I don't know anyone who feeds it so I don't have any opinions on it to contribute.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I never changed foods when my dogs got older as they still did well on it. If they hadnt done well, I'd have looked into changing.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I always had to change often with my oldies. My two thirteen year olds last year would eat each food once! I had to throw in add ons and switch foods around to get them to eat anything. They were in good health, but couldn't keep weight on them. The year before that, I had two twelve year olds( different dogs) who also refused to eat. One had kidney disease, so that was another problem. I just want to find a food that works for all my dogs. I tried the green bag, but Mickey had loose poop on that! They all do ok on the stuff from Costco, but I have no place to store several extra large bags. I'm looking for something that I can pick up locally and use when I run out of the Costco stuff, and won't be able to get there for a couple of days. I live on a dirt road, and am not always able to get out soon after a snow storm.

I feed the Iams Healthy Naturals Lamb and Rice currently. I noticed that was marked "reduced to clear" last time I was at petsmart so I asked the store manager about it. Iams is re-merchandising at the big box stores and some SKU are going to be eliminated. She was not able to tell me if the Lamb and Rice would be one that was eliminated, but she guided me to Authority when I asked for a recommendation on an alternative.

If Iams does discontinue the Lamb and Rice, I'll try switching to Authority first. It is petsmart's "store brand" so not available anywhere else.

***Note that Fenway has unique dietary needs as he can't go too much over 20% protein as he has minor kidney damage. He's 7 and I don't plan to switch him to a senior food.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest sirsmom

I feed the Iams Healthy Naturals Lamb and Rice currently. I noticed that was marked "reduced to clear" last time I was at petsmart so I asked the store manager about it. Iams is re-merchandising at the big box stores and some SKU are going to be eliminated. She was not able to tell me if the Lamb and Rice would be one that was eliminated, but she guided me to Authority when I asked for a recommendation on an alternative.

If Iams does discontinue the Lamb and Rice, I'll try switching to Authority first. It is petsmart's "store brand" so not available anywhere else.

***Note that Fenway has unique dietary needs as he can't go too much over 20% protein as he has minor kidney damage. He's 7 and I don't plan to switch him to a senior food.

I went on the Iams website and they are changing their packaging so maybe other things are changing too....

I fed Authority for a while. The particular variety I was feeding didn't have wheat in it--Raven was violently allergic to wheat--but had beet pulp in it like Iams. We had firm poops. However, their coats got really dull and I had to feed quite a lot of it to maintain their weight. They just generally didn't look all that great. So it was not awful, and certainly economical, but I probably wouldn't feed it again.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bean_Scotch

I absolutely love Authority...It's a better quality and cheaper than some of the other foods such as IAMS, Purina ONE etc. I've fed all the dogs in my house Authority for the last 10years! Awesome stuff and I haven't had a dog not to well on it!