Our Unexpected Addition

brianamac

We knew our shy and fear aggressive Grey needed a confident Greyhound pal to flourish. We fostered but never found the right one.

In September, my husband and I went to visit the adoption kennel at Dubuque to learn more about the dog's lives pre-adoption. We spent 4 days helping out and learning in the kennel with Corey, who runs it, and fell in love with many dogs. One dog we did NOT fall in love with was Bubba.

He was hand-shy and skittish. He would cautiously try to play with us when our backs were turned, but we never were able to even touch him. He was SO shy. As such, we hardly got to know him.

A month and a half later, our group was sharing a haul with another group. Corey was willing to send Bubba to us. My husband and I volunteered to foster him, as we have experience with fearful dogs... we thought we could help him get to the point of being adopted.

Within 2 days, he was flashing big toothy smiles at us anytime we paid attention to him. He chattered just for pets. He was COMPLETELY unlike the dog we met in Dubuque. I guess he was just intimidated being around too many humans and/or dogs. After 4 days of fostering, on Halloween, we decided we couldn't live without him.

Gone was the fearful dog; Bubba loves human interaction like nothing else. And he has helped his Grey brother immensely.

Our little 50 lb. (inappropriately named) bundle of joy:

photo-9_zpsae91ada9.jpg

photo-8_zps2839196c.jpg

photo-7_zpseaa7215a.jpg

Edited by brianamac

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

This was such a lovely story to read. It's wonderful to see a shy dog blossom into a trusting, loving friend. Bubba and Boo make a terrific team. You did a fantastic job of following your instincts and giving this pup a chance to discover the joy of living with (what would become) "his family".

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Congratulations! Have there been any changes in Boo Radley? They look so happy together!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

He is a cutie and they look so comfortable together! How is Boo doing? Has he relaxed any? Less fearful? My scardy pants dog did ended up doing a 180 when I brought another home for him. It has been four years and I still have to keep those two together with whatever I do, lol.

Congrats!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Congrats! That is a great story and it's great he has blossomed so much in your home. I hope he continues to help make Boo feel comfortable as well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So happy to see this. Look at those BFFs in your last photo, that is a calendar worthy pic. Congratulations to all of you. What a sweet story to post on Valentine's Day :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Congratulations!

He's very cute. And tiny. :eek

I'm glad he settled in so quickly, and I hope Boo continues to gain confidence as well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bubba is so handsome, what a great story!!

Congrats to all!!!

:confetti

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

And why are we just hearing about this adorable little guy NOW?????

What a cutie pie! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh he's cute! And so tiny for a boy (I imagine his weight will go up once you get some meat on his bones!). What a sweetie he is :D He probably had JUST left Corey's adoption kennel when I walked in and met and fell in love with Clarice :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--