First Dental Since Adoption

Guest lunasmom

Guest lunasmom

Hi everybody, Luna went to the vet this evening because she has been rubbing her face more than usual. They told me exactly what I expected they would, she needs a dental. I am a bit nervous since this is my first dog (I grew up with dogs, but Luna is the first that I am solely responsible for.

Her teeth don't have a whole lot of tatar on them since she had her teeth cleaned in July right before I adopted her, however, she has receding gums around her 4 big molars. Since she is rubbing her face it probably means it hurts, which indicates some kind of infection or something beneath her gum line. The vet recommended that she get dental x-rays and they will evaluate from there if any of her teeth will need to get extracted.

While she is under for the x-rays they will also clean her teeth and ears, trim her nails, and express her anal glands. (Ears, nails, and glands are free. They do it for all the dogs that go under anaesthesia for any reason)

From the quote they gave me, it looks like they will use Isoflourane anaesthesia, an injection of Rimadyl for pain and an injection of Polyflex (not sure what that one is).

They took some blood and urine to run a "senior lab panel". Luna is 6 years old and otherwise in good health. I will get the results from the labs tomorrow and will schedule the dental then.

Thanks in advance everyone! I appreciate any advice and encouragement as I have never been through this with a dog before. I have done some reading about this in other threads and it's starting to scare me with everything that could go wrong.

Guest lunasmom

I got the results from the lab work and the vet said everything looked great! The vet also commented that her hematocrit was a bit high and her thyroid was a bit low, but both values were normal for a greyhound.

The vet also mentioned that I may end up with a choice between doing an extraction or doing a root canal, but they will have a better idea after getting the dental x-rays.

Does anyone have experience with doggy root canals vs. extractions for the largest molars?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with how much of this is my choice so any help would be appreciated.

Glad your having her teeth cleaned-it's such an important part of her continuing health. I do question her rubbing her face though--many dogs will have the face itches when they have allergies. Is your vet familiar with gh's blood values? I mention this only because many ghs are misdiagnosed with conditions based on there bloodwork--ghs have different values vs other breeds. Also, you might want to locate or have your vet call in a script of Amicar to prevent post operative bleeding if you girl needs extractions.

To answer your question-polyflex is an antibiotic (we use ampicillin in our clinic).

Please feel free to send me a pm if you have further questions I can help you with :-)

Oooo-we were posting at the same time--your vet seems to be on board with our weird gh quirks (high hct/low thyroid)! Extraction vs root canal--I will tell you I love to save teeth but, I have never seen root canals last too long. They are more expensive too --most owners opt for the extractions. Remember to ask about the Amicar. :-)

Guest lunasmom

Her face scratching is kind of like this

20130923_201441_zps1d83ac0d.jpg

She uses her dewclaws to scratch her muzzle. I am not trying to say allergies are not a possibility, but tooth pain seems to fit. Her gumline has receded a bit over the big molars and when I brush her teeth it seems like it might be a bit sensitive, more so on her right than her left. She doesn't mind having her teeth brushed and absolutely loves the toothpaste, but pulls away a little when I get to the big molar on her right side.

In talking to the vet, she definitely knew greyhound blood values were a little different than most dogs but I'm not sure it is something she deals with all the time (translation: she told me she looked them up).

The purpose of the blood work was to clear her for anaesthesia as a pre requirements for the dental. The vet commented after looking at her teeth and gums that it looked like it was probably painful/uncomfortable. That is when she recommended getting a dental with x-rays.

I will definitely ask about Amicar, thank you.

An extraction is going to be much easier on her than a root canal - shorter duration, and less time under anesthesia. And most greyhounds seem to do fine with less teeth. None of my dogs actually chew their food anyway, but you can crunch her kibble in the blender, soak it until it's soft, or opt for more wet food (which you'll want to do anyway right after her procedure).

You might want to get more info from your vet about the exact anethesia protocol she follows and post it here. Also, you will want to let her know if Luna has any sensitivity to opiates, that you know of. Many greyhounds don't do well with them and have post-op complications - usually a hyperactive dog that you just have to let come down off the opiate. One of mine has a big notice across the top of her chart "DO NOT USE OPIATES." She came home after her spay and wasn't able to settle down until after 2am that night. Again, not every greyhound reacts this way (she's the only one of the 9 I've had to do this), but it can be an issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest lunasmom

Thank you greysmom, that makes me feel better. I was leaning towards extraction over a root canal anyway, because my vet can do the extractions while she is still under for the dental x-rays and cleaning. For a root canal it would mean a trip to a doggy dentist and therefore a second time under anesthesia (and more $$$). And you have a good point, it's rare for Luna to chew her food anyway.

I don't know if Luna is sensitive to opiates or not. The adoption group didn't say anything about it and she hasn't needed any pain meds in the almost 7 months I have had her.

I will ask more about the anesthesia protocol

Lunasmom,

Feel bad for you and Luna. Don't have a whole lot to offer since I don't have a lot of "technical" knowledge. Just best wishes. It sounds like you have a good doctor.

Only advice I have: Write down ALL the questions you "think" of no matter how trivial they may seem for the Vet.

The answer may turn out to be very important! :thumbs-up

Also some vets are nice and will answer additional questions on the phone---others will make you pay to come in again for a "check up/consultation".

I am thinking of you both though! :beatheart

Can those on GT please answer a serious question?

Why is it the Grey's teeth are such a problem for the dogs and the owners? :huh2

When you adopt the teeth are cleaned. You brush teeth and feed appropriately. You have them cleaned again. I had to have 4 of Zoe's extracted within 2 years! I brush..etc....they're still getting bad. No matter how well the teeth are cared for they seem to get bad quickly or just be "bad". Why is that? :brushteeth

My self and other 1st time Grey owners are puzzled by this.

Thanks to anyone who can "answer" the teeth question.

Edited by zoesmommy

Her face scratching is kind of like this

20130923_201441_zps1d83ac0d.jpg

In talking to the vet, she definitely knew greyhound blood values were a little different than most dogs but I'm not sure it is something she deals with all the time (translation: she told me she looked them up).

In my experience, this is an excellent quality in a vet, one of the first things I look for--willing to admit they don't know something and research it and get back to me.

I hope that makes you feel a bit better, dentals make a lot of us nervous every time even though things almost always go smoothly. I'm freaking out because my boys are having their first post-adoption dentals and I've had greyhounds for 12 years now. I used to be so nervous I stayed in the waiting room the entire time, although I have calmed down a bit.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm always nervous about dentals, too, although my greys have not had a bad experience with the exception of one having a post-op reaction similar to what Greysmom described above.

Just to add -- the antibiotic is pretty standard. It's usually started a few days before the dental in case the nasty lurking bacteria detached during the cleaning starts circulating in the bloodstream (if my faulty memory is correct).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest lunasmom

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I sent my vet an email a couple days ago with some questions about the anesthesia protocol and about Amicar including links to a few of the related articles people have posted on GT. I got a call today to tell me she got my email and is now doing additional research on the subject including collaboration with a board certified anesthesiologist regarding differences between greyhounds and the more common breeds.

In my experience, this is an excellent quality in a vet, one of the first things I look for--willing to admit they don't know something and research it and get back to me.

I hope that makes you feel a bit better, dentals make a lot of us nervous every time even though things almost always go smoothly.

Yes, this is is why I am loving my vet more and more. It is definitely making me feel better about the whole thing.

Thanks again! I will keep you guys posted :)

Lunasmom,

Feel bad for you and Luna. Don't have a whole lot to offer since I don't have a lot of "technical" knowledge. Just best wishes. It sounds like you have a good doctor.

Only advice I have: Write down ALL the questions you "think" of no matter how trivial they may seem for the Vet.

The answer may turn out to be very important! :thumbs-up

Also some vets are nice and will answer additional questions on the phone---others will make you pay to come in again for a "check up/consultation".

I am thinking of you both though! :beatheart

Can those on GT please answer a serious question?

Why is it the Grey's teeth are such a problem for the dogs and the owners? :huh2

When you adopt the teeth are cleaned. You brush teeth and feed appropriately. You have them cleaned again. I had to have 4 of Zoe's extracted within 2 years! I brush..etc....they're still getting bad. No matter how well the teeth are cared for they seem to get bad quickly or just be "bad". Why is that? :brushteeth

My self and other 1st time Grey owners are puzzled by this.

Thanks to anyone who can "answer" the teeth question.

Tbhounds' answer is great (she KNOWS!). My one hound has perfect, white, impeccable teeth. He constantly gets compliments on his beautiful teeth, even from non-grey owners. My other hound has horrible teeth, breath, etc. They both had dentals, and both get the same teeth treatment at home with turkey necks/backs, bones, and occasional brushing. One dog has great teeth, the other does not. They spent the same amount of time on the track; same track, kennels feeding the same food types.

Some dogs just have crummy teeth.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest lunasmom

Luna goes in for her dental tomorrow :eek. At this point I am as comfortable as I can be with the vet and know she will most likely be just fine, I am just nervous anyway :unsure. I know I am probably overreacting, but I also know the nervous felling in the pit of my stomach probably won't go away until the vet calls me tomorrow to tell me they are done and Luna is doing great.

Guest lunasmom

I just got a call that the vet I have been working with this whole time is not going to be working tomorrow and a different vet that I haven't met yet will be doing the procedure. This is not helping my nerves.

I just got a call that the vet I have been working with this whole time is not going to be working tomorrow and a different vet that I haven't met yet will be doing the procedure. This is not helping my nerves.

If you're not comfortable with this vet postpone the procedure.