• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely kidding! :D. They're doing great. Brandi might have her food upped a bit just to make sure she's getting enough - she's always looking for food, but she is a food hound, so I'm not sure if she's hungry or just being herself, or with the colder weather she's needing a bit more. I don't want her losing any more and the other two have stabilised, but she worries it if I think.

Edited by Brandiandwe
Guest Lillypad

Pheww.... you had us worried. You need to lighten the anxiety when joking with a "LOL" in your text .... but really.... I am SO happy you were kidding and even more happy things are going so well for you and your crew. RAW!!! ROCKS!!! BTW, what are you feeding. I assume you get lots of lamb in Australia. What other species. Do you feed any fruits, vegs and/or supplements. Lamb here is Canada is SO expensive. I have only had opportunity to feed it on occasion. Feed mostly chicken, beef and every so often pork here. I love to hear how others feed and am always eager to learn new information. Best regards

Edited by Lillypad

Lamb and chicken mainly, and turkey. Trying to avoid beef and kangaroo just in case of allergies. I'm beginning to add a few veg and fruits and some supplements but I'm still feeling my way.

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, and the dogs are seriously amazing on it.

Guest Lillypad

Good to hear that you are finding it easy. This is one of the many things that I try to convince my kibble feeding friends of, that it really is easier than you might think. So happy your hounds enjoy it too, but why wouldn't they. My girl is SO enthused about meal times. I have a few friends that are having a hard time encouraging their dogs to eat their kibble; some have resorted to just leaving the food out all day and letting the dogs pick at it. Ha, ha that would be the day (off to the vet) when my girl just "picked at" her food... LOL it is a joy to watch her eat with gusto.

Tell me about it! Paige was always a picky eater, needing me to hand feed her or hold her bowl. These days she often finishes first and comes looking for more. Or comes looking for me to burp in my face then rub her muzzle all over me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lillypad

Hi CharlieRhea, regarding your questions about raw feeding, is there something specific you need an answer to. I would be pleased to answer, if I can. There are many topics on greytalk about raw feeding, you do have to dig a little. But I found this one very informative and helpful

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/242512-raw-feeding-basics/?hl=greyhound9797

Let me know if I can help.

• 4 weeks later...

OK. All the pups are happy and healthy. Loads of energy, coats beautiful, muscled. But DH is complaining that the dogs look too skinny. The girls are showing three ribs each - Paige always have, but Brandi's last rib is very prominent. The boys not so much. Any ideas? I think they're fine, the vet too, but ..... I worry.

Guest Lillypad

LOL, I have been concerned that my girl is chubbing up... LOL. She has been on a raw diet for about a year now. She is doing great, looks great, energy, happy, teeth great. I will never feed her kibble again. But I think I have to go back to weighing her portions again. Thought I could get away with eye balling it...but think I have been a tad bit too generous. LOL

I BELIEVE IF THE VET FEELS YOUR DOGS ARE A GOOD WEIGHT THEN I WOULD GO WITH THAT.

And just to reassure you that you are doing the best for your dogs feeding a raw diet consider this. I have a standard poodle here for a week, dog sitting. It breaks my heart to feed her kibble. She clearly only eats it cause, well that is all she has, but let me tell you she really wants what Lilly and the cat are eating. When I put the bowl full of kibble down she looks at it, looks at me, hesitates then only picks at it. Her owner tells me she has zero enthusiasm for eating. She really is saying, do I have to, why can't I have the real stuff? She is just 4 and her teeth are covered in tartar, she digs at her paws and shakes her head often. She has runny eyes and nose... and the poop... well I won't even go into that. I have grown to really love this dog and I just feel so bad for her, I can't see her life improving on kibble.