Urinating In House

Guest kar

my female has started urinating in the house - before I get home from work. Does not happen every day but happened twice this week. talked to vet because she does have pln kidney disease and he said he did not feel it was related. I don't understand how it could not be related but he feels it is not. I don't know whether it is time to put her down - she still eats well but has started eating odd things such as dryer sheets which we just avoided having a vet visit for. don't know what to make of this.

one person who had a grey with pln said that this is serious and is related to the disease but again my vet does not believe so. anyone have any ideas?

hoping for some help. I know this is not a common disease but maybe someone has some input.

Guest davidsl88

I would ask for an x-ray to check for bladder stones. My 10 yr old started peeing everywhere - I thought it was 'old age'. One day he insisted on going out literally every 5 minutes. I watched him and could tell he was straining - willing and ready but next-to-nothing was coming out. I took him to my vet that day; the x-ray revealed well over 30 stones! He had surgery the next day (which he tolerated very well).

problem is she does not want to go out - she goes out in the morning and I try to get her to go out again before I go to work and she will not go does not pee any other time in house except when I come home from work - (before I get home)

How long is she left alone? What about a dog walker who can come somewhere around the middle of that time?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

she is left alone for 8 hours - my other grey has no problem and she never had a problem either - can't really afford a dog walker - unfortunate but true

what I am concerned about and even though the vet thinks no is if this is a sign her kidney disease is progressing - vet said it is unrelated - have spent a lot of money on tests and really am quite tapped out

Nope, not strange! Mine both eat/shred paper. They make washable fabric pee pads you could try. It stinks, probably literally, that that's happening in your bedroom.

I hate thinking that I'd consider putting down a dog because of bathroom issues, but I've never been there. The work involved has to be tremendous, and you know something is wrong because of what she's doing. I hope you find answers and that you don't need to let her go. There are drugs for incontinence, but I know squat about kidney issues, so can't suggest anything.

I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this.

(ETA: there are vets and other people here who know what they're talking about who will eventually weigh in. Don't make a decision till you hear from them.)

Edited by Riverhound

tested her about one month ago - no uti she had stopped for about 3 weeks - started giving her fish oil - and now it has started again. hard to understand if it keeps up will bring in another urine - but vet costs are unbelievable just had her blood checked for all tick related diseases and that was very costly and all were negative as I knew they would be

anyone else out there with a dog with pln (protein loosing neuropathy)???

Instead of potty pads, you might try a couple 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 rubber-backed doormats.

8 hours is a long time to hold it for a dog with that condition. Is she on some meds?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

tested her about one month ago - no uti she had stopped for about 3 weeks - started giving her fish oil - and now it has started again.

Maybe it's because of the fish oil? Try stopping the oil and see if the accidents stop.

I was about to post in despair about my girl..... Never even thought about fish oil. Will take her off them and see.

I feel your pain. Brandi is perfect in every way except for this and I feel like crying every day because of it. Fortunately she chooses the tiles, but it gets me down.

Yours in solidarity.....

problem is she does not want to go out - she goes out in the morning and I try to get her to go out again before I go to work and she will not go does not pee any other time in house except when I come home from work - (before I get home)

Are you not taking her out right before you leave for work? Or are you saying that you take her out, but she won't pee? If you're not taking her out, then the first thing I'd try is to put a leash on her and take her for a walk regardless of whether she wants to go or not. If she pees outside before you leave and still can't hold it until you get home, then she may need a mid-day walk as tbhounds suggested.

Also wouldn't hurt to check a urinalysis as dogs with kidney disease are predisposed to infections. If her kidney disease has progressed, then it may also be causing increased urine production resulting in her not being able to hold it as long.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

she is on enalapril 20 mg once daily. I started the fish oil to see if it would help stop the problem. did not know it could contribute. I do take her out before work - try to take her again right before I leave but she will not go. it weird because if I go out on the weekend for the same amount of time - no accidents happen. I am home today because of the snow and she has only been out twice. can't figure it out.

Any chance that it could just be weather related? My guys have a dog door- free access to go outside at any time. But when the weather is real severe, one occasionally goes a few feet away from the dog door. That might explain her hesitance to go out with you?

My CRF/PLN girl has pee'd inside three times in the past week. In fairness, with these blizzards I don't think she is completely emptying herself on her final walks. Two of the nights I have also walked her at 11pm simply because I didn't have it in me to stay up until 12-12:30 am which is the time that works best for her to make it through the night. The one other time was also my fault, I was just too asleep to realize the pacing had reached the "pee now" stage. With the storms, and the early walks, I haven't said anything to the vet since I honestly think all three of these could have been prevented with a more awake human. I do know that the time is coming when she won't be able to hold it. I am not looking forward to that time. I don't care about the cleaning, just what the peeing will portend.

will try to go to vet today - or at least drop off urinalysis - snow sometimes jumps on my bed at night and she peed on my bed - something has to be wrong - hope kidneys are not failing

how old is your grey - mine is seven

took snow to vet no uti he sent out a urine creatine ratio urinalysis and took bloodwork - 500 later i'll know Monday - hoping news is not bad and do not have to put her down

If she's eating and feeling well, there'd be no reason to put her down.

That would be good to know so you can treat it :) .

Numbers can get pretty bad before the dog feels unwell and won't eat.

Why would it be time if she is eating and feeling well? I'm not understanding.

My first family dog had kidney disease starting younger than your dog. She lived -- happily and energetically -- to a ripe old age and died of something else.