Brown Tooth-How Bad Could It Be?

I noticed the other day that one of Mason's teeth has turned brown...the whole tooth. He's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and playing tug-of-war with Molly and doesn't seem to be in noticeable pain but of course I have made a vet appointment.

So, what could I be looking at here? Infection? Tooth extraction? I'm (of course) worried.

TIA--GG (and Mason)

Well the worst it could be is an extraction, and from what I have seen with teeth there really isn't much other treatment.... so that is what I would prepare myself for ... if it were me.

My guess is the tooth was injured somehow and has died. I have had two dogs with this, the tooth was almost a purple color. Luckily the teeth never caused a problem for either of my dogs but the vet kept a close eye on them for any signs of infection or pain. Good luck with your dog.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

What tooth is it? I had some dental work on one of my boy's lower canines...the vet said that extraction was very tricky with the two lower canines as they are joined/fused (?) to the lower jaw. Ended up with a root canal (vital pulpotomy). Although he didn't seem like he was in pain before...he was obviously feeling much better immediately afterwards.

Guest grey_dreams

What tooth is it? I had some dental work on one of my boy's lower canines...the vet said that extraction was very tricky with the two lower canines as they are joined/fused (?) to the lower jaw. Ended up with a root canal (vital pulpotomy). Although he didn't seem like he was in pain before...he was obviously feeling much better immediately afterwards.

Would it be ok for me to ask you how much the root canal was for the two lower canines? I might be facing this soon with my boy, but I'm uncertain what kind of cost it could be. I realize the costs can vary by regions (Canada versus Midwest), but just looking for ballpark numbers. Thank you.

I took him to a canine dentist - fabulous vet that only works on teeth. The bill came to 3300. But I had a lot of work done - in addition to the root canal one of his bottom canines was digging into his palette so they fixed that, repaired the palette, did a cleaning and X-rays to ensure the roots were okay. I suspect I'm not finished as all his front teeth have excessive wear .... He may be a toothless old guy someday!

Guest grey_dreams

I took him to a canine dentist - fabulous vet that only works on teeth. The bill came to 3300. But I had a lot of work done - in addition to the root canal one of his bottom canines was digging into his palette so they fixed that, repaired the palette, did a cleaning and X-rays to ensure the roots were okay. I suspect I'm not finished as all his front teeth have excessive wear .... He may be a toothless old guy someday!

Thank you for the information! I did some research and found that there is one board-certified dental vet about 30 miles away. May call him to get more info. Still, that's steep for us, and we don't have insurance (I think most pet insurance won't cover root canals anyway...).