Vacation Potty Problems...

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

We are traveling from Michigan to Ohio this weekend to visit family with Houston. He has taken this trip with us before, but the potty sitation was awkward to say the least...

My family we are staying with does not have a fenced in yard. Houston would rather hold it for as long as he possibly can than poop on a leash. (He has done it maybe 3 times in over a year). Poop shy???? lol. My thought was to use a long lead on his harness, and duck back inside for a minute or two for him to do his thing.

Fifteen seconds later, I peek out the window, and he has basically hog-tied himself and is screaming the horrible GH scream of death. I have no idea how he manages to take one step and tie three knots around himself. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions for this three- day weekend?

(last time we were there he held it for two days and on the third snuck away and did it in the house. Super strange for him, as he is 100% house trained!)

How can we be better house guests without my poor dog tying himself up?

Thanks!

Walk until he goes. The first storm I had Bu, he wasn't impressed. I knew he had to go, so I walked him for 1.5 hours until he went. I don't have a yard and I've done the same thing for fosters that were poop shy. It's not fun, but the more often the do it, the easier it gets. Also give treats and praise.

One of my guys is the same way, which presents a problem when we bring the dogs on vacation. I clip two 6' leashes together, then just turn away and ignore him until he goes. The more I try to coax him, the more anxious he gets, so I'll usually just stand or sit there and look away. When he goes, praise enthusiastically and treat.

Won't help for this weekend (too soon), but for future -- Start using a potty phrase when you see him going to the bathroom in your yard. Ours is the rather cumbersome "Go use the bathroom" (as they're finishing up) followed instantly by "Good dog!" I don't treat for this purpose. Do it consistently for a couple weeks and you'll have a cue that may help the dog be less shy about going when on leash. That said, a couple blocks' brisk walk when someone *should* have to go usually does the trick. Sometimes you have to go for your regular walk, come back in (don't let the dog out of your sight!) and then go out again 5-10 minutes later.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We had a problem with Monty for the first 4 months we had him. He was also used to having his privacy, and we don't have the fenced in yard to allow him that. Long walks, studiously paying no attention to him when he was thinking about it, and even an extended leash would probably help. And when he's in their house, you don't leave him alone without being in a kennel for a minute. It's going to mean a lot of outside time for you, but if you don't want him deciding privacy in a back corner of the house where you're staying is his bathroom, you're going to have to be on him all the time.

Never tie out a greyhound, because tying themselves in a knot is the least of the potential problems. Two leaps and they can reach a pretty high speed and wrench their neck hitting the end of it, or even break something. An exercise pen may be an option as ShebasMom says, as long as it is high and sturdy enough.

Alternately, do the people you are staying with have a friend or neighbor with a securely fenced yard? If so, could you be able to borrow it as long as you were there and immediately picked anything up?

Walk him. I happen to think ALL dogs should be walked regularly whether you have a fenced yard or not. You would have already solved this problem (which you clearly knew about) had you been walking him! It's great exercise for you and the dog, great bonding time, and let's face it, there are some amazing pee mails out in the neighborhood!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Walk him. I happen to think ALL dogs should be walked regularly whether you have a fenced yard or not. You would have already solved this problem (which you clearly knew about) had you been walking him! It's great exercise for you and the dog, great bonding time, and let's face it, there are some amazing pee mails out in the neighborhood!

While that's often the case, it doesn't always work. I don't have a yard, but my condo has a tennis court I can use. Last year I had a foster that wouldn't go on leash. One long walk fixed the peeing problem. The pooping problem took over a week. I had leash walked him exclusively for 2 days and he hadn't pooped at all. I finally put him in the tennis court and he pooped. The next time I put him in the tennis court was 3 days later and that was his first poop in those 3 days. Finally after another couple days he started going on walks. But, I don't think he ever would have learned to go on leash if he was in a yard for even just 10 minutes a day and walked for hours more.

I do agree that dogs should be walked everyday though.

Guest Houston1219

All very helpful hints!

We do walk regularly, more so while on vacation. Not so much lately, as subzero temps are greeted with a stern refusal from this little prince. He will walk only as far as the car and if i fail to produce keys from my pocket, he wastes no time dragging me back inside lol (For exercise he and dad play fetch up and down the stairs until they are both exhausted at night) He will pee every 10 feet on a walk, but saves any other business for the yard.

I will def try the long leash and look away trick, and if no luck scope out the neighborhood for fenced areas we may be able to use. We will be working on this skill for sure in the near future, just have to get through this weekend!

I disagree with this. I could walk Ruby until the cows came home and she would NOT poop or pee. She never has and I truly doubt she ever will. We took her hiking shortly after getting her and we were out for about 6 hours. She would not go potty and rode the entire way home and peed and pooped the minute she was in our back yard. Not every dog will go. My husband routinely walks her for an hour to an hour and a half every day and she has never gone.

I agree they should be walked every day though.

I like the borrowing the neighbors fenced yard idea. That's brilliant.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

ANY dog can be taught to pee and poop on a leash.

ANY DOG.

The key would be simply do NOT let the dog out unless it's leashed.

Crate or confine it in the house.

Eventually the dog will go.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest OMGiluvgreys

I know this is late but it might help next time. For 2 years my girl would never go on leash. I watched her when se was off leash in the yard. She always ran before going. So while she was on lead I would run her, bingo she started going. Now she goes on lead with no problem.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

Guest Giselle

ANY dog can be taught to pee and poop on a leash.

ANY DOG.

The key would be simply do NOT let the dog out unless it's leashed.

Crate or confine it in the house.

Eventually the dog will go.

Physiologically, yes. Behaviorally, not so simple. Pooping isn't just a simple reflex. It undergoes a lot of training and control by the forebrain. Stress, anxiety, and dehydration can allow an animal to withhold from defecating for several days. Humans aren't the only ones with traveler's constipation. And, if we know the dog doesn't feel comfortable pottying in a particular area, why should we force an uncomfortable situation upon them? That's an ethical question, and I have my own thoughts. I believe that you should try what you can (within reason) to accommodate the dog's pottying habits. If he doesn't like to poop on leash, then, yes, I think the next step is to put up an exercise pen and frequently let him out into that. Better yet, put the ex-pen on an especially desirable area (soft surface, grass, other smells, previous pee spot, whatever). If you can eventually walk him into the exercise pen with a leash on or slowly open up the exercise pen into a fully open area while on leash, more power to you. Until then, do what you can. Dogs with anxious personalities tend to be worse at this. So, as always, have patience and praise when they go.

Guest Houston1219

He did it! He did it! Yaaay success! :yay We walked to exhaustion, then came home, relaxed for five minutes, then right out to the yard! In fact, bigger piles than i have seen in my own yard off-leash! lol (sorry, probably TMI but i was surprised. Still not his favorite thing to do, but now i know how to coax it out of him when need be :hehe

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!!!