Ear Margin Necrosis And Coconut Oil

Guest capers7

Guest capers7

I adopted a lovely 2-year-old black female who had scabby ears that were dry, cracked, and spots on the tips worn away. The vet said it was "ear margin necrosis" and there was nothing to do for it. So, feeling sorry for the little girl, and since she had dry skin on her tail, body, and neck, I went ahead and gave her a good rubdown with coconut oil. I kept that up for a few days, and the ear margins softened up. After a few weeks, the scabs were gone, and with occasional applications since, the ears are normal, pliable and to my eyes have not progressed any farther. Also, all the hair on her tail grew back, as well as some of the hair on her bald thighs. This girl had been in foster care for a year before I got her, so she was not straight off the track. I am real impressed with the response I have seen from the coconut oil. I also put it in her food, and let her eat it right off the spoon or lick it out of the melting container when I am done applying it. I highly recommend it!

Capers

I'm a huge fan of coconut oil. I use it for my dogs and myself. Thanks for sharing this.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I also get it at costco. I've been giving it to them every night. I'm surprised at how much they like it! How much can I feed them?

I've been afraid to use it on wounds and dry skin because they love it and I don't want them obsessively licking problem areas.