Infection? Cancer? Septic Arthritis?

Guest skeay

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and am sharing our story in the hopes of getting any insight at all.

Our Grey, Freight, came to us from Florida when he was about 4 years old and he's 9 now. In the last couple of years he's had a toe removed due to suspected cancer (it wasn't confirmed) and many teeth removed.

We're currently on vacation across the country and Freight is staying with family who is taking great care of him. On Thursday night my MIL took him to the vet as she noticed he wouldn't lay down on his bed and his rear leg was shaking. She took him to the emerg vet and they noticed some swelling on his inner thigh. The next morning he went to our regular vet and by then his leg between the ankle and thigh was very swollen and there was some bleeding at the bottom of the leg. Our vet thought he saw a puncture wound and thought it was an aggressive infection. He was put on IV antibiotics and sent back to the emerg vet for the night. At this point he was in pain and not putting any pressure on the leg and unable to lay down his own.

The emerg vet was certain there was no puncture wound and it was more likely septic arthritis or cancer (of the blood) and was not optimistic. She said the white blood cell count was normal which should not have been the case with infection) She thought that even if the antibiotics worked, the infection was likely secondary to another more serious issue that could not be diagnosed without further testing like MRI or CT Scan which could only be available during the week.

Come Saturday morning, he was starting to respond to the antibiotics but the swelling and bleeding continued (it seems it's coming out his pores). The fever was gone. He showed continued improvement through the day and was able to move around without appearing to be uncomfortable. We made the decision to have him come home to my in-laws on Saturday night since he was stable.

By Sunday am he was eating and more active. By Sunday night, his other rear leg was turning dark and it appeared there was internal bleeding. He's going back to our vet this am.

It's very hard for us being so far away and hearing different opinions from each vet who sees him.

His X-rays appear normal and the bones seem good. There seems to be swelling in the hip where the leg problems originated.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any advice?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

This is odd.

Hopefully others here may have some experience with those symptoms.

I'd suggest having Dr Couto review all the testing, notes and medications used so far.

There is a fee, but it is well worth it. Dr Couto is the rock start of greyhound medical care world.

http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Editing to add: please read this recent thread as the symptoms sound similar:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305045-unclear-diagnosis-opinions-welcome/

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse and we've had to say goodbye. We couldn't leave our boy in pain. The internal bleeding spread to the other leg and then to his abdomen and he was in discomfort. Our vet advised it was most likely some kind of cancer and the outcome was not good even if there were options for treatment.

I am so sorry to hear this news, especially with you being away from home.

I will add Freight's name to the list of Bridge Angels for February.

Please continue to visit GreyTalk. Perhaps the Cute & Funny section will help to cheer you up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry for your loss!

He was well loved and looked after through this difficult time.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.