Peeing On Self While Asleep

Guest chimni

Hi,

I'm hoping for some guidance. About a month ago, my wife and I noticed a big wet spot on the couch that seemed to come out of nowhere. After feeling Sofia's wet backside, we realized she had pee'd on herself while asleep. Normally she fusses up a storm until we let her out, but this time she seemed completely oblivious to what had happened.

I took her to the vet the next day and had her blood and urine tested. The results came back showing a UTI, but the vet explained UTIs can cause the behavior OR the behavior can lead to a UTI. The vet also said there can be some muscle weakening when dogs get around 6 years old (she turns 6 in March). So, we gave her Clavamox and kept an eye on her,which seemed to help.

Tonight I noticed to big wet spots on the couch and again, she didn't seem to notice at all. So... what to do? She had a fun day at the park, so maybe she was too tired out to get up and go outside? Or maybe running around weakens her muscle control?

What does this sound like to you?

I'd Get another urine culture to make sure the UTI is gone. If it is, it's most likely incontinence. There are meds for it. Proin and DES I think are the 2 biggies. If you take her out more often, it may help. I've known quite a few dogs with this issue and the dogs really don't seem to know which is nice since some will get upset.

Is she drinking more than usual??? If her drinking habits are normal she may have developed spay incontinetnce. It's easily treated with medication. Proin, DES and Incurin are medications that are traditionally used. Personally, I don't like proin and would never give that to a gh but, others will argue that they have used it safely.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=5

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=197&A=487&S=0

I took Sofia back to the vet and once again her urine culture came back negative, as did an ultrasound. So, we started her on DES Saturday... waiting to see if that helps. Poor girl... she's had to snuggle with the cats before we can let her back up on the couch.

20140215_080542_zpscfb1e8cd.jpg

This happened to snow on my bed - of course she has pln but the vet said it could be the beginning of incontinence also. needless to say she cannot come on my bed until this is resolved. don't think she can have any other medication because of her kidney issues.

Has your vet checked for bladder stones?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.