Broken Toe...2Nd One Sorta...

I haven't been on here in prob a yearπŸ˜”. My pup, now 7 1/2, is Chance, the cow doggy. (I'm the once with AML and doing great. 4 yrs cancer free this 'March! πŸ˜³πŸ˜ƒπŸ’•πŸ˜ƒ) I'd attach a pic of him, but I have no clue using my iPad. Anyway, I'm a dog park goer....I know, most aren't a fan; however, I'm a fan of my pup smiling like he's in Disney Land. With that said, the dog park comes with lots of boo boos, just like a child who plays outside a lot does as well.

Β 

He fractured a metacarpal in the sand back in May, and he just broke his toe, on his back leg, two days ago. It's the same protocol at the vet each time. What stood out to me was the vet said that with greyhounds, some think the "no bandage" works, while other thinks it needs a wrapping. With the wrapping comes at least 8 more exams $$$ along with 8 wrappings $$$. At the end of the day the money isn't that big of a concern bc I have insurance that'll cover most of the wrappings, but not the exams each time. He's my only kid, so I'd move the world for him. What bothers me is the irritation it is already posing for him. We have at least 7 weeks to go... I'm curious about your experience and thoughts with this, as it is a common issue with boney, "hairless" dogs. Share what you do and what works and what doesn't! It's MUCHHHH appreciated. I adore the Greytalk community, but as a Language Arts teacher for 8th graders, I find little time for extra stuff. 😀

Β 

If curious, Chance is doing better each day. He's on Tramadol and Rimadyl. He seems more in pain at night...absolutely fine during the day. 😏

Β 

~Brianne & ChanceπŸ’•

If the vet is charging you an exam fee for each bandage change, you're being fleeced and need to change vets. It's a haul for you, but Hamilton Vet on Park Ave. in Hamilton, NJ does no such nonsense.

Β 

In the meantime, there should be serious padding between each of those bony toes.

Great to know! I found that odd...but it's Ocean County Vet in Lakewood. They have two other branches, and thought they'd be reputable. Can I just say something to them bc I've already did the initial exam, $300 in X-rays and $300 in bloody work.

Great to know! I found that odd...but it's Ocean County Vet in Lakewood. They have two other branches, and thought they'd be reputable. Can I just say something to them bc I've already did the initial exam, $300 in X-rays and $300 in bloody work.

Β 

Β 

Yeah, you sure can. They may be a good office, but no way you should get charged an exam fee for a bandage change.

Yeah, you sure can. They may be a good office, but no way you should get charged an exam fee for a bandage change.

Β 

I am almost positive I brought that up the first time & they had "some" reason. It is less...I think $45 instead of $60 or so. What should I say or do if they say...."Too bad!"

Yes, they should charge for labor (by a tech, most likely) and materials, but not for an exam. Since your insurance likely covers 90% of everything else, explain that to your vet and see what they can do. Call other vets in the area and price bandage changes.

Β 

My vet considers Brees's cat eating to be a pre-exsisting condition, and therefore doesn't charge the exam fee when we come in after she catches one. A recheck when I have a concern after treatment never incurs a fee for the exam, just charges for any additional tests/meds.

Not sure what's standard with most other vets, but as long as it's a routine bandage change with no problems, none of the clinics I've worked at charge an exam fee.

Regarding the other questions... Personally, I prefer to change splints and bandages on greyhounds twice a week. With their thin skin, sores can develop quickly. Make sure there's plenty of padding, including between toes.

IMO, whether a toe fracture needs to be splinted depends on a number of factors, such as which toe, which bone, how unstable the fracture is, and how painful the dog is. I'd be more inclined to splint for weight-bearing toes, and for P1 fractures. Sometimes you can splint for 3-4 weeks for some initial healing and stability, then switch to a padded bandage and continue leash-walking for another 2-3 weeks. I've also used a removable orthopedic splint for one of my dogs. Here's a previous post with more info:
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/277471-kevin-broke-a-toe-on-his-front-foot/page-3?do=findComment&comment=5045393

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Not sure what's standard with most other vets, but as long as it's a routine bandage change with no problems, none of the clinics I've worked at charge an exam fee.

Regarding the other questions... Personally, I prefer to change splints and bandages on greyhounds twice a week. With their thin skin, sores can develop quickly. Make sure there's plenty of padding, including between toes.

IMO, whether a toe fracture needs to be splinted depends on a number of factors, such as which toe, which bone, how unstable the fracture is, and how painful the dog is. I'd be more inclined to splint for weight-bearing toes, and for P1 fractures. Sometimes you can splint for 3-4 weeks for some initial healing and stability, then switch to a padded bandage and continue leash-walking for another 2-3 weeks. I've also used a removable orthopedic splint for one of my dogs. Here's a previous post with more info:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/277471-kevin-broke-a-toe-on-his-front-foot/page-3?do=findComment&comment=5045393

Β 

I appreciated the link. I looked it over, and amputation isn't even on anyone's radar. It'll be a bandage nightmare like last time. He did get lucky with only a pressure sore under his dew claw on his front toe injury, but this is the back so no dew (I think the vet counts one tho) so it's P2 I believe.

Β 

Anyway, I'll ask them about a fee every time and why... I noticed that changing it twice a week is ideal, but I can't afford that bc of the exam fee. The vet I saw was adamant about me not being able to bandage it. The one I'm seeing this week, who saw him the first broken toe, actually showed me last time, so I know she'd do it again. So why can't I change it???? I just don't see it...I've wrapped boo boos before...I have the bandage tape they use and padding. He doesn't have or need a splint to be clear...Am I silly to do this myself possibly?

If you have someone experienced show you how to do it properly, I don't see any reason why you can't do it yourself. In terms of material, bandage layers, location and technique, that's something best to demonstrate in person. Other than that, IMO, the most important points are:

1) Lots of padding, both around the entire foot/leg, as well as between toes - I put a piece of cotton between all the toes.

2) Don't make it too tight. Just needs to be snug enough to provide the support needed and keep from falling off.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg